Sign in with
Your question

POST - One long beep and 2 short beeps

Last response: in Motherboards
October 22, 2010 6:37:39 PM

Hi
I own a Lenovo Desktop... Core 2 Duo, 1 GB Ram, 250 Gb HDD, No external Video cards

I had this burning smell emanating from my desktop today. Immediately the video output was cut off.
I had a look inside and found that the Power supply to my DVD drive had melted.
I removed the drive and started the comp.
The video output of the comp was dead and also it made this constant sequential beep - one loong beep and 2 short ones.

I saw online that this beeping indicates a video error... which is quite possible since my Video was dead as soon as the burning smell started.

My question is... what should I replace? Since I dont have a Video card... does it mean I have to replace the Mobo?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Indru
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 7:00:05 PM

A bad PSU can cause all sort of errors and problems, please clarify what exactly you mean "{the Power supply to my DVD drive had melted}"?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2010 7:14:55 PM

^ Im assuming he meant the power connector? lol.

Please clarify mate x)
and it can be a possibility your video went "pffft". However continuing to turn on your PC after what just happened with the PSU might not be a good idea.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2010 3:34:34 AM

yeah I meant the power connector. Yu got that right.
Also I tried switching it on only once since I needed POST info. SInce then its been down.

So should I replace the PSU? How do I check if its a goner!

Also about the video that went kaput... what do I do?
m
l
October 23, 2010 3:36:12 AM

Also when I did check for the POST I noticed that the power supply to my KB, mouse worked fine.
m
l
October 23, 2010 3:42:42 AM

Also the CPU fan and the PSU fan and the other fans were working fine.
The only problem was the video error @ POST and no video output.
m
l
October 23, 2010 3:55:23 AM

My PC exact hardware config
Intel Pent D Proc 820, 1GB RAM, 250GB 7200RPM SATA HDD, no diskette drive, PCI/PCIe Tower (3x4), Intel GMA 3000, 48x32x48x16x CD-RW/DVD, 56K modem, Broadcom Gigabit Ether
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 3:58:43 AM

Okay, then whatever caused "{the Power supply to my DVD drive had melted}" needs to go bye-bye. Assuming it was the PSU.

"Hopefully," it, whatever "it" is, didn't destroy the MOBO, CPU, GPU, etc in the process!
m
l
October 23, 2010 4:01:15 AM

umm... your missing the video part... :)  what do I do about the video? there is no output and a video error ! POST...
m
l
October 23, 2010 5:30:00 AM

I cleared CMOS and now the PC is booting and there is video output.
But after the initial screen about the hardware and config... I hear 2 short beeps and the screen blacks totally out for 1 min. Then it continues with the XP loading screen and finally and loads the OS.
Any Idea what this is?
Thanks in advance
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 2:08:54 PM

Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc all use cheap PSUs -> if the PSU is 'partially' dead {multiple rails} then whatever is either receiving 'dirty' or 'no' or 'sporadic' power is going to cause a failure. Your missing the oddball behavior of a failing PSU.

AGAIN, CLEARLY PLEASE explain {describe in better detail} "{the Power supply to my DVD drive had melted}"?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 6:35:58 PM

rtindru said:
Also the CPU fan and the PSU fan and the other fans were working fine.
The only problem was the video error @ POST and no video output.

your video could possibly be fried. xP.

First you're going to have to replace that psu. then hook that psu and hopes everything works.

If that doesn't, you will need to replace the video from a friend or something an see if that works.
You can also try breaboarding (after you try another psu) to see if there might something else wrong.

m
l
October 24, 2010 9:59:24 AM

jaquith said:
Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc all use cheap PSUs -> if the PSU is 'partially' dead {multiple rails} then whatever is either receiving 'dirty' or 'no' or 'sporadic' power is going to cause a failure. Your missing the oddball behavior of a failing PSU.

AGAIN, CLEARLY PLEASE explain {describe in better detail} "{the Power supply to my DVD drive had melted}"?

I meant the connecting cable's pin had melted. The connecting cable from the PSU had a plastic end which melted.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 24, 2010 5:39:04 PM

Replace the PSU.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
September 14, 2013 4:14:31 PM

Several times people have told you to stop using that PSU and yet, you keep trying to POST. Are you looking for an excuse to buy a new PC?
m
l
!