Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my HDD really dead? :(

Last response: in Storage
March 18, 2012 3:02:46 AM

All of a sudden Windows started to become sluggish and unresponsive. So I restarted and it kept on giving me "Disk read error". Then I popped in the Disk recovery and that wouldn't even load. I wen't back into my Bias and the hard drive isn't even detected.

I do remember an odd faint noise at some point but I thought it was my PSU fan though...

More about : hdd dead

a b G Storage
March 18, 2012 3:18:38 AM

Your HDD is most likely going to die, how long you been having it anyway?
m
l
March 18, 2012 3:30:07 AM

Seal in anti-static bag, place in freezer, back up files, get new drive.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
March 19, 2012 11:01:01 AM

Yeah, mostly to be dead because it seem you turn it on 24/7 and do lots of usage on it... Best if you back-up now than waiting it to die which is probably less than a year... If all you do for the past few years is play games, it coulda last a bit longer but seems like you do lots of usage than it'll die faster, like always, it dies after warranty(3 years i guess?)...
m
l

Best solution

March 19, 2012 11:26:36 AM

cronik93 said:
All of a sudden Windows started to become sluggish and unresponsive. So I restarted and it kept on giving me "Disk read error". Then I popped in the Disk recovery and that wouldn't even load. I wen't back into my Bias and the hard drive isn't even detected.

I do remember an odd faint noise at some point but I thought it was my PSU fan though...

There can be many reasons for error you got, maybe you can find a solution here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250364-32-solution-di...
March 19, 2012 11:31:09 AM

Cronik, Your drive is still covered under Western Digitals warranty if you haven't had the drive for more than 5 years.

Setup an RMA return with WD. Hopefully they have that good RMA replacement plan where they send you your replacement drive 1st. Allowing you a quick replacement before returning your damaged drive.
m
l
March 26, 2012 3:03:47 AM

Best answer selected by cronik93.
m
l
!