Solved

Is my HDD really dead? :(

All of a sudden Windows started to become sluggish and unresponsive. So I restarted and it kept on giving me "Disk read error". Then I popped in the Disk recovery and that wouldn't even load. I wen't back into my Bias and the hard drive isn't even detected.

I do remember an odd faint noise at some point but I thought it was my PSU fan though...
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about dead
  1. Your HDD is most likely going to die, how long you been having it anyway?
  2. Seal in anti-static bag, place in freezer, back up files, get new drive.
  3. legendkiller said:
    Your HDD is most likely going to die, how long you been having it anyway?

about 2-3 years: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320
  4. cronik93 said:

Yeah, mostly to be dead because it seem you turn it on 24/7 and do lots of usage on it... Best if you back-up now than waiting it to die which is probably less than a year... If all you do for the past few years is play games, it coulda last a bit longer but seems like you do lots of usage than it'll die faster, like always, it dies after warranty(3 years i guess?)...
  5. Best answer
    cronik93 said:
    All of a sudden Windows started to become sluggish and unresponsive. So I restarted and it kept on giving me "Disk read error". Then I popped in the Disk recovery and that wouldn't even load. I wen't back into my Bias and the hard drive isn't even detected.

I do remember an odd faint noise at some point but I thought it was my PSU fan though...

There can be many reasons for error you got, maybe you can find a solution here:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250364-32-solution-disk-read-error-occurred
  6. cronik93 said:

Cronik, Your drive is still covered under Western Digitals warranty if you haven't had the drive for more than 5 years.

Setup an RMA return with WD. Hopefully they have that good RMA replacement plan where they send you your replacement drive 1st. Allowing you a quick replacement before returning your damaged drive.
  7. Best answer selected by cronik93.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Disk Read Error Data Recovery Storage Product