Pixel perv

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Hello,
I'm asking on behalf of my lazy brother about power requirements,which would be to build a new computer, and also wishes that the silverstone night jar (450w) would be sufficient to power it all up, and everything he puts in the build would be fanless , so is it sufficient to power it all up??

List of components:-
Drives-1 Dvd drive.
Kingston SSDNow V Series 128GB 2.5" +standard 7200rpm drive.
Motherboard - Asus P6TD Deluxe Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3
RAM - 6GB - Patriot Viper 6GB
CPU - Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz (Bloomfield) (Socket LGA1366) Graphics Card - ATI - XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 XXX 1024MB GDDR5 PSU - Nightjar 450W
3 usb devices(kb, mouse,stick)
No sound card
No overclocking either.

I reckon it wont be, and ive currently tried out free watt programs on the nets and they all said roughly 423w, but surely the noise and heat would defeat the purpose anyway, and better off getting a 600w hybrid so the fan doesn't cut in till the heat starts building up ?

Thanks for your time.

That nightjar is not cheap its a silverstone unit but yea it will stress it too its max and it only has passive cooling to be silent PSU. That unit is not suitable for that rib but it is not garbage you should at least have a good 550 watt PSU for that rig. If you do decide to stick it out with that unit it should work but dont OC anything and make sure you have some good airflow in that case or it will blow up on you.

But to clear this up that PSU is a very high end passively coole PSU but its not meant for gaming machines or highly power hungry GPU's.

Thats not saying its bad its just not the right unit for this board.

Shovenose can you please look int what you are replying too I have see nothing but bad suggestion from you. I am not trying to be mean but please no what you are talking about before responding to as post.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

If you want a quiet power supply for the components you listed, then your only choice is the new Seasonics X-650 Gold Certified power supply. It is a new design with hybrid passive/active cooling. The psu fan will not kick in until things really heat up. I have one in my personal pc and can verify that it is a quiet power supply.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

The components you listed are for a gaming or enthusiast system. Gaming and passive systems are opposites. Both the cpu heatsink and the video card are equipped with cooling fans. They'll have to run to keep cpu and gpu cool. In addition the pc case will have a couple of cooling fans that will need to run to help keep the interior cool.

It would be different if you were going to build a less powerful pc that did not generate as much heat or was not going to be used for gaming. Then it would be possible to have a passive cooling system.

shovenose

Distinguished

its not that cheap of a psu!

Pixel perv

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Many thanks for the quick replies guys, i thought this would be the case , so ill go and give him some more suggestions ,now he'll have to believe me:D

Latest posts