Sign in with
Your question

Possibility of water cooling

Last response: in Overclocking
December 25, 2012 10:02:09 PM

hi im running a relativly below par system i biult and my cpu temps are min 47 c max 55 c
my cpu:- amd phenom 2 3.2 quad
4gb ddr2 ram
hd5450 ati graphics
and two hd2 pipeline 500gb sata drives
i have an upgraded cpu heatsink a huge thing with a big 120mm fan on the bottom and a fan at the back of the system pulling air out
i am considering water cooling to drop my temps more as it is reaching close to 60c after gaming (most wanted 2012/hitman absoloution/left4dead2/nfs undercover and nfs shift 2
i need any info you have and all help would be appreciated as i will be working to a very small and tight budget as i built this system from scratch for under £200 using new parts and i have seen some water cooling kits for around £30-£40 online but i have seen some scary vids of people who have done this and screwed a perfectly good pc was also considering oil cooling but i know even less about that than i do water cooling but i do need to drop my temps alot and i only have space to put another 80mm fan in the front of my case i could replace the rear fan its only a 80mm fan slot so not sure what i could replace with for heat loss as i say its a meager build compared to anything you guys have im sure but its my diy lol many thanks ...I...
December 25, 2012 10:16:20 PM

If you really want to go H20, I strongly recommend a closed loop, ready to go system. Take your pick here:

http://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/all/cooler...

My overclocked 980X (hex core + HT) is now included in a custom loop together with the GPUs, but when I first built this rig, I was cooling it with an old Corsair H70. It had no problem keeping that CPU cool.
So think about one of these. They're dead easy to install, cheap, maintenance-free, and work very well.
December 25, 2012 10:23:39 PM

this is a good path but just for thoughts is this really the right price bracket or should i look towards oil cooling which will do the job better?
Related resources
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 168 K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 11:13:38 AM

Your temps are fine, they are a bit high but not dangerous or anything.

You could water-cool the rig if you wanted, though on that rig I wouldn't bother to be honest. The money that you would have to put into an entry level kit (~$130 US) can be spent on better things.
And if your referring to water-cooling as in all in one units like a H100, your better off with on air. Its cheaper and gives the same or better performance.

Oil cooling isn't exactly... convenient and if anything will cost more than water-cooling because you will need a ton of oil, a large fish-tank, a very strong pump and a radiator + fans to keep it cool. People oil-cool their rigs more because "why the f*** not" rather than aiming for performance.
This is a typical oil-cooled rig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBrCP9B93E
December 26, 2012 12:19:27 PM

i have an old intel d 3.0 ghz pc in my shed gathering dust was thinklin about oil cooling that as a trick but unsure as too where to get the oil from.....
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 168 K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 12:34:34 PM

Iv heard that vets are a good place to get mineral oil in large amounts, due to the fact they use it as a... horse laxative.

Supermarkets should also have it, but I imagine it would be pretty expensive to do it that way.
December 26, 2012 12:41:39 PM

Quote:
Iv heard that vets are a good place to get mineral oil in large amounts, due to the fact they use it as a... horse laxative.

Supermarkets should also have it, but I imagine it would be pretty expensive to do it that way.

lol nice application i figure a small tank would do but im ummmin an arrin over a rad any you could suggest <budget would be appreciated>
a c 113 à CPUs
a c 168 K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 12:56:34 PM

Well, I'v never actually thought of component choices for Oil cooling before.

I may not be the right person to answer this, as I never got into the nitty gritty of water-cooling.
But heres my suggestion anyway.

I have a feeling pure radspace will be more important than the FPI of the rad, which will also mean you don't have to get high pressure fans.
Maybe an RS360 rad or two, or a 240mm square rad.

For the pump I truly have no clue, will have to get advice from elsewhere.

Estimated budget, $150-$200 for the rad, pump and maybe fans. For the oil and fish-tank I have no clue.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 1:00:50 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Overclocking by Mousemonkey
December 26, 2012 1:46:42 PM

ok so i am after a cheap ok pump and rad for oil cooling my old intel 775 socket any suggestions

i need info to get the cheapest possible pump and rad as im bored of seeing this system in my shed gathering dust and i thought why not only gonna be in a small tank prob 20-25 litre so please im looking for any help you guys can offer as im lost because this will be my first venture into oil cooling and hopefully it looks good at the end
!