Sign in with
Your question

What the

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2010 1:47:05 AM

Hello, I am running a 9800GT and a amd X2 5600+ with a thermaltake supranors case and my vga temps were a little bit high, id get up to 78C in furmark burn in, I wanted to mess around and see if I could make my temps better so I wanted to see how much more hot it would get if I unplugged my 2 side fans and my temps have actually gone down a lot! like 7-8C I had both fans blowing in, one on the gpu and other on cpu, with a fan in the front blowing in and the fan in the back exhausting all the air, now with the 9800GT EE the air exhausts from the back of the card because they are made for sli I think, does anyone find this weird that by removing 2 fans my temps go down?

I know the card produces heat in the middle of my case but the side and front fans should move it to the exhaust

More about : question

a b U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 2:06:29 AM

were the fan blocked by a wall? if so then you were blowing bad air in so taht it blew hot air back onto the cards

if you made the fans blow the air out you would have gotten better results
m
l
February 20, 2010 3:06:09 AM

vexun11 said:
Hello, I am running a 9800GT and a amd X2 5600+ with a thermaltake supranors case and my vga temps were a little bit high, id get up to 78C in furmark burn in, I wanted to mess around and see if I could make my temps better so I wanted to see how much more hot it would get if I unplugged my 2 side fans and my temps have actually gone down a lot! like 7-8C I had both fans blowing in, one on the gpu and other on cpu, with a fan in the front blowing in and the fan in the back exhausting all the air, now with the 9800GT EE the air exhausts from the back of the card because they are made for sli I think, does anyone find this weird that by removing 2 fans my temps go down?

I know the card produces heat in the middle of my case but the side and front fans should move it to the exhaust

Generally what you want is for the air to travel from the front/bottom of the case to the rear/top, the setup you have might have created an air current partly trapping hot air near your video card, that is just a wild guess, as vexun said, if you have the case somewhat boxed in, it could be that the air exhausted by the rear fan is being pulled back in by your side fans.
m
l
Related resources
February 20, 2010 3:44:27 AM

i agree withlothdk. what you want is cool air drawn in and warn out blown out. by placing the fans orientated to blow out that would cause negative pressure flow. no intake fan would be needed as the other fans blowing out would cause the air to be drawn in without help from a fan. this drawn in air would most like come from the bottom of the case in the majority of case designs. exhausting warm air is a better solution than trying to draw in cool air. hope you're following me.
m
l
February 26, 2010 11:45:22 PM

Really ? You think it would be better to remove my front fan and 2 side fans blowing in?? what about other stuff heating up and creating more heat to the gpu?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 26, 2010 11:49:06 PM

I always have fans set as exhausts, as I want the hot air out and the cool air will find it's own way in.
m
l
February 27, 2010 12:45:10 AM

u think I should set all my fans to exhaust? I spent a bit of money on them , I would like to put them to use as much as I can so I didnt waste my money lol.

I havent heard of anyone suggesting that I put more then 1 fan to exhaust.

interesting, anyone have any other opinions about this?
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 27, 2010 12:51:32 AM

Why not experiment? It's usually just a case of turning the fans around, see what works for you.
m
l
March 9, 2010 4:01:45 AM

My fan has good air flow other then the video card blowing air to an area that doesnt have anywhere to go, the reason I havent really experimented is because its a huge pain in the ass to swap them around.

Also I am really curious how would u put a fan at the bottom of ur case if there is no air going under the fan, wouldnt it be pointless to do that?? I thought u would need air comming in from the bottom for it to work
m
l
!