Gpus got wet in fire.how to test?

boomerman18

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Hi everyone. IN december my apartment caught fire and I had a custom build pc that i made. I had 3 gtx 260's core 216 edition. How do I go about testing them to see if they work correctly. I tried to turn on the computer with an old zalman 850 watt hooked up to each card by itself and comp wouldnt start. psu fan spins and shuts right down. Is that the only way to see if they work correctly is by putting them in mobo and hooking up to psu?

boomerman18

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
I think im going to do that. Ill go to a discount store online or something. Cuz that would be a waste to throw away those cards. I wanted to use one as a dedicated phsyx gpu if i could with a gtx 280

rofl_my_waffle

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Some components would work after water dries but a motherboard could get the BIOS memory whipped when water gets on it leaving you with a brick. The same can happen to your graphics card but I doubt it unless you got a lot of water on it.

The only way I could tell if they work is to pretty much have to have them installed on a board, and see if the board will POST. And to see if they work correctly, you would need to actually launch a game and run it for a while. Just plugging them in and getting the led's come on, the fans spin, etc won't prove that they actually work.

TRENDING THREADS