Sign in with
Your question

Overcloking??

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2010 4:56:22 AM

Hi everyone, well i was thinking on buying a full tower case but everyone keeps telling me that its not worth spending the money on a full tower if im not going to overclok it, but i dont know what that means. Thanks

More about : overcloking

a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 5:39:12 AM

Overlocking refers to changing some configuration settings to improve a component's performance. The components that are typically overclocked are the cpu on the motherboard, the gpu on the video card, and the memory modules.

Overclocking has nothing to do with the size of a case. A pc system in a full tower case, a mid tower case, or a micro-tower case can be overclocked.

There is another possibility about the misunderstanding. Some of the best gaming and enthusiast cases tend to be very large cases. They were designed for serious overclocking, hardcore gaming sessions, large cpu heatsinks, and the longer high end video cards. There are mid-tower cases that are also suitable for gaming rigs. I've even run across a small form factor case that was specifically designed for gaming.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 6:41:36 AM

The only reason why I'd think they'd say that would simply be because full tower cases are just more ideal for overclocking, simply because the larger the case, generally speaking, the greater the airflow within the case which allows the CPU to be cooled better by the HSF.
m
l
May 10, 2010 1:32:25 PM

my HAF932 is a full tower, and its big. Its a bit of a monilith. There is enough room in there for a small family to live. It came with 3 large fans and a smaller exhaust fan, and has great cooling for an air-only setup. But I could have gotten the HAF922, which I thank has most of the same features, including the width, but is just not as tall.

Reasons to get a full tower case:
You can fit more HDDs and optical drives, card reades, fan-speed controllers etc into the case.
You can ususally run 3 double-slot GPUs inside one, and as previously mentioned, fit massive heat sinks inside (though you can get good aftermarket air-coolers for your CPU which are not a big)
You can fit those EATX motherboards inside, some of which have slots for two CPUs. Generaly I think they are meant for busy server solutions though, using Xeon processors, or development consoles.

Imagine the cost of a tri-SLI GTX480, dual i7 980 rig, with 24Gb of some hellish 2.4Ghz RAM !?!?
m
l
!