best laptop with docking/expansion kit?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
August 24, 2004 9:54:09 AM

I've been using a Tecra 7000 with a DeskStation V Plus expansion base
for years and have been really happy with it -- the full-length PCI
slots and the extra drive bays in the base have made the laptop fully
usable as a desktop replacement. Since the 7000 is only 266 Mhz
though, I'm looking to get up to newer speeds (closer to Ghz anyway),
but I want to make sure I get a laptop with another good expansion
base and not just a port replicator.

The Tecra 8200 series and the full expansion kit look pretty good and
there are some ~900 Mhz systems on eBay for reasonable prices, but it
doesn't look as if that technology works in the later systems, and I
don't want to get stuck with another dead-end if I can avoid it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
August 25, 2004 3:50:21 AM

Check out the Dell Latitude "D" series. The "D" dock will take a
full-height, half-length PCI card, and you have a choice of machines that
fit it, including the D400, D600, D800 and I think the Inspiron 600m. The
Latitude series forces you into the small (or large) business unit as
opposed to the consumer unit which only sells the Inspiron series. The
level of service and reliability is generally a little better with the
Latitudes than some of the negative reviews you will read about Dell, which
are mostly based on the consumer products and warranties.

The IBM Thinkpad Dock II is similar (half-length PCI card slot) and works
with the T40 series and the old X31, but not the new X40.

Does anyone have experience with running a PCI video card in either of these
to supplement a machine with integrated graphics?

!