Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New i7 running hot

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2010 7:02:06 AM

There was a post about this same topic but there was a few things that were irrelevant. Anyway I just built a new system, I am using the same case I used before, just new motherboard memory & cpu. i7 930, GA-x58A-UD3R Gigabyte 1366 board and 3x2GB DDR3 1600 G skill memory. This cpu runs really hot and the motherboard was making a high pitch sound which is a very common thing with this board, I was able to fix it by disabling the c1e and c3/c6/c7 and a few other tweaks to fix it which thank god I did because I love this board.

Anyway I disabled hyperthreading and a few other things to keep the temps under 60C Right not my temps have been averaging idle at 52-56 and when I run prime 95 after a couple minutes it gets up to 75C so I stopped the test because I didnt want to damage the cpu. I know this cpu runs a lot hotter then most cpu's but this kind of heat has to be bad for the cpu. I down clocked the cpu from 2.8 to 2.6 and it seemed to take it down 1C or so. My radeon 5830 used to idle at 48 and peak at 62, now it idles at 55-58 and at full load gets up to 68. I would like to avoid getting an aftermarket cooler but if its the only way to go to keep the processor from degrading then I will do it. Also my motherboard is pretty hot, there are 2 heatsinks on the board and I can only hold my finger on them for 2-3 seconds before it burns. Is my board at risk?? I do have pretty good air flow right now, if I didnt im sure my temps would be a lot higher.

Why would intel not put a better heatsink then this on there, you would think they would so people wouldn't have issues and send the cpu back for another. What is up with all that? Intel makes a product that runs hot with the stock cooler, should be the opposite so that the processor would last longer and they wouldn't have as many problems...

I am interested in getting one of those corsaid h50 cpu coolers but whats holding me back is that I would have to take the motherboard out and put a new mounting plate on the back of the board which would be a pain because the motherboard was such a pain because seating the board with the io bracket or whatever its called.. It took me an hour and frustration to get it set up correctly..

Also why would a motherboard make a high pitch sound? A lot of people had the same thing happen. I have a thermaltake supranors case with 4 120mm fans one in the back exhausting air, 2 on the side windows one blowing on gpu other on cpu, and one fan in the fron blowing in, I also have a 80mm fan on the bottom of the case lifted up about 2 inches so it can get air flow, I also have another 80mm Fan blowing on my ram next to my cd drive bay. Is this a good idea?

I have been rambling, too many questions.. Anyway any feedback would be a lot of help.

Thanks!

More about : running hot

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 8:08:44 AM

Well, I can answer a few of your questions.

Your CPU is really getting a bit too hot, but that's really average for the Intel stock cooler. The reason why the stock coolers suck is because Intel never designed them for overclocking, they needed it to be cheap and just make sure the CPU did not go above 70°C on full load. The reason why? Because those who actually monitor temps are normally ones who overclock or tweak their computers, and most of the time the Core i7 never reaches full load in most applications, which means that the stock cooler does the job well enough, which is all Intel needs.
m
l
May 10, 2010 8:28:40 AM

Good to know thanks, I do plan to get an aftermarket cooler and I don't plan to overclock until I really have a use for it, this already seems fast enough but in the future if it makes a huge difference then I might overclock.. Anyway my temps were getting pretty high earlier because it was so hot, I am idle right now at 52 and when I am in games I get up to 65 -68, is this okay? I remember with my AMD X2 5600 I would idle at around 45 and in games I would get up to 65C and people told me to not risk damaging the cpu at those temps and to get an aftermarket cooler, thats the reason I am worried about the i7 overheating at 65 -70C . Are the i7 cpu's able to handle more heat? Also is it normal for the motherboard to be this hot? It shows the motherboard temps being between 50-55 at times, sometimes in the mid 40's.

Also would you recommend the corsair h50 watercooling heatsink? this stock intel heatsink is really loud and is heating up my video card.

What would you say the average i7 temps most people get, and whats really safe.

The most important thing I want to know is what intel expects the temp to be with the stock heatsink, atleast if there is air flow. Also does hyperthreading and i7 turbo effect temperatures? Would you recommend I do anything else other then getting a new aftermarket cooler? is there anything else I can add to help cool the motherboard like one of these antec spot on fans -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+Spot+Cool+Case+Fan/...

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 10, 2010 9:54:23 AM

The absolute max core temperature that the CPU can reach before it throttles down the multiplier to prevent it from being killed is actually 100°C. Anything below 75°C is OK, anything below 70°C is good, and anything below 60°C is ideal. Each CPU's max temperature is different, so your AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 wouldn't have the same thermal limits as the Core i7 930.

As for the motherboard temperature, I'm not sure if it's the motherboard itself or the X58 northbridge chipset which can get very hot - mine idles at 72°C sometimes, but it's OK for me I guess.

I wouldn't really recommend the Corsair H50, it's not a bad cooler, but you're better off with a Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Venomous-X. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus though, it's a very good performer for its price.

Average temperatures for the Core i7 using the stock cooler is around 50°C idle and maxes at 80°C load. Very safe/ideal would be below 60°C for core temperatures.

Hyper-Threading does create quite a lot more heat, that's why you see people sometimes being able to reach over 4.1GHz on air after turning Hyper-Threading off. Turbo boost would affect the Core i7's temperatures minimally I'd say, mainly because the boost is maxed at 266MHz.

I don't see what else you need to do really. The fan looks OK, although I'm not sure how much better one of those fans would be. If your case has an optional side panel fan, I suggest you do mount one which would help your motherboard.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 10, 2010 2:31:24 PM

You can go to frostytech.com to get more information on aftermarket coolers.

That cpu is pretty fast at stock speeds, and depending on what programs you run its turbo mode will achieve better results than a mild overclock will. Also depending on what apps you run you probably won't stress the cpu as much as prime95 will. You could run coretemp and watch it while you run your normal apps and see what the temps are there.

I wouldn't install a stock cooler even if I wasn't going to overclock. I upgraded one of our old machines recently that had a core 2 duo with stock cooler, running at stock speeds. It ran hotter than my overclocked machines with aftermarket coolers.
m
l
May 10, 2010 11:58:16 PM

Good to know thank you. Why would you not recommend the h50? I mainly want it because it is really quiet and I saw some reviews that looked pretty good. It is expensive though, what I really want like most people is near silence and good temps.
m
l
May 11, 2010 12:54:15 AM

To everyone reading this thread who owns an i5 or i7 please post your temps and coolers!
m
l
May 11, 2010 1:24:38 AM

My i7 920 is about 61C under Prime95 with no overclocking. I use a Zalman CNPS9900LED.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 1:36:01 AM

The stock Intel hsf is not great, but your temps , you have a mounting problem. One of the pushpins is probably not through the back side. Plenty of people have run the stock hsf for a while. If things are right 40's idle maybe up to 80 in prime 95 with hyperthreading.
I have a i5 750 , that I ran the stock hsf for a month before upgrading to the corsair h50.
Stock and even o/c my bcclck up to 155 my temps were 30's idle 80's prime 95 at 3600 mhz.
With the corsair high 60's at 4.0ghz and low 20's idle. cie,eist enabled

The 1336's DO run a little hotter than the lynfields.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 1:36:40 AM

My i7 920 C0 is 72C after a few minutes of prime 95 with the stock intel cooler. I also keep the cooler's fan at a lower speed to keep it quiet. I have it at stock voltages, hyperthreading on.
Those temps seem high compared to my 920 since the 930 is at a lower default voltage.
m
l
May 11, 2010 3:15:49 AM

I do remember when I was installing the heatsink I heard a loud click for each pin but I was unable to hear a click from one of the push pins, I looked at the back of the board and it looked exactly like all the other ones, it looked like it went in just like the others, I even spent an extra 5 minutes trying to re do it and make sure I have it pushed in correctly. Anyway my temps are all over the place, right now I am idle at 48 and I was in crysis with max everything with my temp around 62, These temps are irratic. Is it really hard on the cpu to stress test it with prime 95? right now I am at 75C its been 2 minutes, I just saw it hit 76 for a second but it seems like its stable around these temps, would doing these tests degrade the cpu??

How do you like that corsair h50? I am interested in one of those, they look awesome and seem to have good benchmark results, the only thing that concerns me is that you have to bring air in from the back where normally you would have the air exhaust, you need to bring air in from the back to keep the water cool (from what I saw in a benchmark video) So they were saying you would need to change your whole cooling setup and make sure there is an exhaust for the rest of the excess warm air.

What do you think about the coolmaster v8? The reason I am being so specific with heatsinks is because there are only a few that I can buy because I am unable to have packages shipped to me for the next little while so I have options for those thermaltake black widow heatsinks or whatever other ones they have in store at www.bestbuy.com and a thermaltake v8 at a store near my house. I for sure want to get aftermarket cooling just to feel comfortable.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 3:23:24 AM

The stressing programs don't degrade/damage the CPU, however high temps (as a result of the tests and poor cooling) could.
m
l
May 11, 2010 3:30:02 AM

if this helps you, i get 44C idle and 80C load, 4ghz, Hyperthreading=on turbo =on

with the zalman cnps9900...i will eventually upgrade to liquid cooling or rather better air heatsink...
m
l
May 11, 2010 3:38:04 AM

Shrug, I feel like the top notch air coolers like Mega, TRUE or Noctua D14 should do better than the H50. Marginally though.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 3:42:51 AM

I've heard that can be the case too, though I haven't looked much into it.
m
l
May 14, 2010 6:21:40 AM

I picked up an h50 heatsink, my temps have been weird, earlier when I got home from work i was idle around 40 ish and motherboard the same, but slowly the motherboard gets hotter and hotter, right now its at 65C and I have seen it get in the 70's running prime 95. I should have enough airflow, I even flipped the fans around doing a push pull exhausting from the rear 120 , Should I be worried having these temps for this motherboard? Everything is stable but those temps are a bit up there, im gona run prime 95 and see what my temps are at clock speed with ht on.
m
l
May 16, 2010 6:22:19 AM

This h50 isn't doing its job as well as I thought it would, it is really warm inside my room though, I haven't started using AC yet so id say my temps are around 6-8C warmer then normal, this corsair h50 is really good for load temps but idle temps don't seem too good (for the 1366 chipsets) I am sure if I had this cooler with my AMD X2 5600 my temps would be incredible. I am going to order a new cooler, I really want the best performance I can get with an air cooler for around the same price as the h50 if it's really worth it and a big enough upgrade. I also am worried about this motherboards northbridge temps, mine is idle at 63C and cpu idle is 48 which is better then normal for cpu and about average for chipset.

is there anything else I can do to cool down the chipset, I don't feel comfortable having a system that runs this hot, plus with summer coming this computer will be like a heater..

Is watercooling hard to install? How much would a kit cost? teach me!

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 16, 2010 7:05:34 AM

For some reason the H50 sucks at idle temps, that's natural. As for your motherboard chipset temps, mine idles at 72°C on a summer's day and I'm not really concerned.
m
l
May 17, 2010 2:08:16 PM

Lmeow said:
For some reason the H50 sucks at idle temps, that's natural. As for your motherboard chipset temps, mine idles at 72°C on a summer's day and I'm not really concerned.

wowow. you should really be worry instead...thats some pretty high temps for idle.
m
l
May 18, 2010 11:51:31 AM

I would never use intels stock cooler even on a pentium 3 its just so cheap. always always use after market I love the big typhoon and your case can use it
m
l
May 19, 2010 8:39:40 AM

The nd-d14 wont fit over my ram, I wish I had gotten smaller ram now, Anyways I was about to order a megahalem but I didnt know what fans to get, I cant have too much noise, I would like a heatsink that comes with its own fan that is decent, I want to try to keep this as simple as possible. I am not sure what to do here there is way too much to decide on, I would pick up that hyper 1221 or whatever it is but its sold out on newegg, I just want something decent.

I was just looking at some chipset coolers, I need something like this for my chipset to cool it down but this is too expensive

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1305&ID=19...

m
l
May 22, 2010 2:43:32 AM

Okay, I just installed the Megahalems and my idle temp is 52 and im in prime 95 after a couple minutes im at 62C, I have the window open, room temp isn't all that hot. I am very upset. There is a lot of air blowing out my rear exhaust fan, I have a 4pin corsair fan blowing in the heatsink and the exhaust fan is about 4 inches away from the heatsink so it should be good enough, This is around the same as the h50, no difference really..... I put on a perfect layer of the thermal paste that came with the cpu, I know if I used a really good brand the temp would go down but I doubt it would make the temps go down enough to make it the way it should be, I applied a thin layer to the cpu, not too much not too little, I am running everything stock in the bios with no hyperthreading on. The chipset is running at the same temps before as the h50 was running................ It doesnt overheat in prime 95 at all, I just think i should have a cooler idle temp! I purchased this cpu cooler because summer is coming up and I don't want to heat my room up even more.

I am upset! Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 3:17:51 PM

Have you tried manually setting the voltages in bios(1.15 vcore, 1.20qpi, vcore could go lower, mines at 1.04 with C0 920). With the stock heatsink(and AS5) my temps are 38C idle and 55C full load in prime 95 with large FFTs.
If you used the old thermal paste that was on the old heatsink, that could cause your temps to be much higher. I would get some cheap AS5, it could drop temps by 5-10C.
That idle also seems high for the chipset...My Asus board is ~40C idle and ~60C load.
What is the ambient temp in the room? My ambient is ~20C. 30C=/=20C in ambient temp.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 22, 2010 4:09:38 PM

Have a quick look at my guide I've linked to in my signature. It should be able to help you out with any overheating issues you're experiencing. Best of luck!
m
l
May 22, 2010 9:10:06 PM

I really appreciate it! Right now my room is pretty cold but at certain parts of the day it gets really hot up here, mabey 75-80Fº I have tried lowering my voltages, when I had my cpu vcore around 1.0 my temps dropped a lot, NB temp was around 53 but I was unable to have hyperthreading on and had to run 2.8ghz which I really don't want cuz its not fast enough so I tried increasing it for a 3.2ghz but I had to take it way up to like 1.25 to get that. I will go and try to decrease the qpi to 1.20 and see what that does. What specific thing changes the northbridge temp? is it qpi? or what.?

also am I safe to have my motherboard temps idle around 55-60 and cpu temp idle around 50? I think my cpu temp sensor might be off because when my cpu was 70C under prime 95 I touched my heatsink and it felt cool, so I moved my fingers clear back to the copper fins and touched all of them and they felt warm but I could keep my hand on them, they did not feel hot, so I touched the fins on my video card which was at 55C and it felt a LOT more hot.

however when touching the heatsink below my cpu cooler it is quite warm when it gets above 60C I can keep it there for 1-3 seconds depending on the temp before it burns my hand really bad. Do you think my cpu sensor is off because I feel no heat on the heatsink which is Huge might I add. I am not talking about it being cool just in 1 certain area im talking about it being cool / a little warm no matter where I touch it, even near the cpu. Is there any way to check and see if the sensor is working right?
m
l
May 22, 2010 9:24:22 PM

I just decreased my qpi and vcore, disabled hyperthreading and left it at 2.8ghz stock speeds. I just opened real temp and it shows my temps at 25 21 24 20 and was really excited because thats what it feels like when I touch my heatsink, I heard of people getting temps around this with the megahalems which I have 2 fans on push pull to my exhaust fan out the back. So I am really excited then I open up hardware monitor and core temp and they both show my temps at 49 41 45 40 which is what my real temp used to show. My northbridge temp right now is 53C

So everything seems fine but my cpu isnt working as good as it should. Also I have some AS5 at work I will get and apply on monday
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 12:04:25 AM

The Realtemp readings don't seem right :??:  . Those are lower then the temp in the room. I wouldn't expect that huge of a drop even lowering the voltage by that much(50C to 20C :ouch:  ).
Well, your cpu sensors look like they could be higher then the temp really is. Do you have speedstep on, idle temps would really go down if you turned it on if it was off. With that cooler it would seem like your temps would be better, maybe you just need better paste for better transference of heat. When you touch the heatpipes near the base of the heatsink, do they feel hot when your proc is at 70C?
You can't really know what your real temp is, you just have to hope that the sensors are right :(  .

You can't change the NB voltage, I believe. Your ambient is higher then mine and my Nb heatsink is made of copper which could be why my temps for Nb are lower. The Nb is only in use for video card data and data from the southbridge, prime 95 wouldn't stress it since it only uses the processor and memory(which is directly connected to the proc).
m
l
May 23, 2010 3:24:21 AM

Thanks for your response. What is speedstep? Is that like turbo mode? I disabled that and I dont see much difference, I picked up a Antec spot cool fan and I had no where to put it in my case lol, with the Huge ram sticks and this Huge cpu cooler and Huge video card and all 6 fans there wasnt too much room, So anyway yea when I touch the heatsink it feels cool, like it has nothing heating it up, then I go and put my finger on the heatpipes in the back (after grounding myself so I dont shock myself) and they feel warm, even at 70C they feel like mabey 40C then I touch the heatpipes on my video card which was 55C and they were like 10x hotter. Is there anywhere else I can feel to see if it feels hot?

Also one more thing I really need help with. What I want to do is find a safe overclock, mabey anywhere from 3.2 - 3.6ghz where I will be safe, I m at 3.04ghz and my system is running cool, idle temps are usually around 45-50 but should I really worry about that? Unless it gets higher?

What do you think I should change all my voltages to in order to get like 3.5ghz a few times I was able to get to 3.7ghz and it was stable but I can't seem to do it anymore, I forgot what I changed to do it. I know hardly anything about voltages I am new to all this information. Let me know what you think I should set my voltages like vcore, qpi/vtt, qpi pll , ioh core, and Multiplier / whatever.

thanks for your feedback with everything. Sorry I am so random its adhd or something lol
m
l
May 23, 2010 4:43:29 AM

Holly crap, it sounds like you are spending alot of cash trying to get temps down in this I7 rig....

A decent water cooling setup can cost you $350 dollars and that would be doing the work yourself, not paying someone to do it for you.

I have a Phenom II X4 940 at 3.6ghz 24/7 vcore of 1.38 and today it was around 80F upstairs in our room, and at Idle Processor is at 35C and motherboard is at 34C. My rig is water cooled however, and I got most of my parts from Danger Den, and I am using fluid XP Ultra. Not sure if going the custom water cooling is a option for you because of cost, but it sounds like your spending alot on Air cooling and its doing no good. It would suck if you blew the money on a custom water cooling set up and ended up with almost the same temps, but I don't see how you could.
m
l
May 23, 2010 7:06:37 AM

Yea man for sure, thanks for the recognition lol. anyway I have a steady overclock at 3.5ghz, well 3.2ghz with turbo boost on so its 3.5, I am idle around 49-51 and under extreme load I sit at 60, and when playing crysis for an hour my cpu temp was stuck at 52-53. Am I okay staying at these temps? I know the idle temp is a bit too high but would it do any harm running an i7 at 122F 24/7? I got my motherboard temps down steady at 48-54. I would go watercooling but honestly no matter what kind of cooling I get I am going to have this system run hotter then it should be because this x58 board runs a lot hotter then most boards do.. From what I have read, Anyway

That is probably what would happen if I went H20 cooling I my temps would go down mabey 5C but my idle would end up being around like 45C Unless I change something that has nothing to do with air flow or cooling, it's gotta be something with the voltage or something on the bios.

Also I was wondering if you know anything about cooling chipsets, my NB chipset runs warm and I would like to put a quiet heatsink + fan on it but I have no idea how to install it, Here is a picture of my motherboard so you can get an idea of how this setup works. In order to take the heatsink off of my NB I would have to take the fans off this cpu cooler and it took me sweat and blood to get them on because I had to use 2 fingers to do it so I don't want to take it off until I receive the heatsink in the mail that I would put on it to cool it down.

With your W/C do you have your vga cooled? have you heard of anyone using NB water cooling
m
l
May 23, 2010 8:44:05 AM

Right now I am overclocked at 3.5ghz and my temps are pretty decent, right now I am at 47 43 46 41, with prime 95 it doesnt go above 60-61. Do you think my idle temps are too high to try to go to overclock this chip even higher?
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 23, 2010 5:22:59 PM

You shouldn't really worry about the idle temps that much, it just would be nice to have those below the 40s. The load temps are more important, 60C is decent for that overclock. You might as well wait to get the AS5 before you try to overclock more, it's only one day ;)  . If you keep it under 75C in prime 95 that would most likely be good, it will keep it under 70C in most loads.

Do you have your mobo monitoring the fan speed of all of your fans? It might just be lowering the fan speed so much that the idle temps could be higher. If you really want to lower them, that might be why they're higher.
I don't think you need to bother with the Nb temp, it's not that bad. Many servers run 24/7 at these temps and they last for several years.
m
l
May 23, 2010 10:13:00 PM

All of my fans in my case use the 4 pin molex so I really don't have control, they spin around like 1300-1500rpms. So you think I am safe with idle temps being in the low 50's? I don't feel comfortable having my temps get into the 70's in prime 95 that worries me.

here are the current cpu fans I am using 2 of these push pull right next to my 120mm exhaust fan

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I do get a good amount of air exhausting out the back of my case.

Anyway do you know what voltages I would have to change to get my cpu above 3.6ghz? here are my current specs

21x160, memory 1600, cpu vcore 1.1000, Qpi/Vtt voltage 1.155, ioh core 1.000V, ich i/o 1.450, ich core 0.9201. everything else I didn't mess with because I don't know what i'm doing at all. If I am able to overclocked it to say 3.6 3.8 or 4.0+ what values would I need to change and what temps would be harmless to run 24/7
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 12:33:40 AM

You would need to change the vcore voltage and the qpi/vtt voltage if your cpu would need it. ioh and ich are the northbrige and southbridge, those won't be affected by a faster cpu.
To get to 4.0+ you would need to disable turbo mode, for some reason the i7s have a problem with even multipliers and won't overclock to those speeds with the 22x multiplier with turbo mode.
The temps, in my opinion, should be below 55C for 24/7 use. Higher voltage does more damage then heat, unless you have a very high amount of heat. I've seen many people with 1.35-1.4vcore(intel recommends 1.35max).
m
l
May 24, 2010 3:05:40 AM

vexun11 said:
Yea man for sure, thanks for the recognition lol. anyway I have a steady overclock at 3.5ghz, well 3.2ghz with turbo boost on so its 3.5, I am idle around 49-51 and under extreme load I sit at 60, and when playing crysis for an hour my cpu temp was stuck at 52-53. Am I okay staying at these temps? I know the idle temp is a bit too high but would it do any harm running an i7 at 122F 24/7? I got my motherboard temps down steady at 48-54. I would go watercooling but honestly no matter what kind of cooling I get I am going to have this system run hotter then it should be because this x58 board runs a lot hotter then most boards do.. From what I have read, Anyway

That is probably what would happen if I went H20 cooling I my temps would go down mabey 5C but my idle would end up being around like 45C Unless I change something that has nothing to do with air flow or cooling, it's gotta be something with the voltage or something on the bios.

Also I was wondering if you know anything about cooling chipsets, my NB chipset runs warm and I would like to put a quiet heatsink + fan on it but I have no idea how to install it, Here is a picture of my motherboard so you can get an idea of how this setup works. In order to take the heatsink off of my NB I would have to take the fans off this cpu cooler and it took me sweat and blood to get them on because I had to use 2 fingers to do it so I don't want to take it off until I receive the heatsink in the mail that I would put on it to cool it down.

With your W/C do you have your vga cooled? have you heard of anyone using NB water cooling

Yes you can cool your NB if you set up a decent water cooling system... My 4870's are not water cooled at this time or is my NB. My loop could handle it easy, but I am not seeing any temps, even at load or heavy gaming that make me what to drop an extra $200 on water blocks. Most of the time My Idle temps are at 28C-31C in the winter here in southern Indiana. Summer months I get around 34C-36C on my Phenom II 940@ 3.6 ghz and I have never seen it hit above 45C with any games I throw at it. My cards stay around 55C also... How ever I built my own custom case by hand, and lined it with Granite, so it is not your normal case.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 3:29:50 AM

medjohnson77 said:
Yes you can cool your NB if you set up a decent water cooling system... My 4870's are not water cooled at this time or is my NB. My loop could handle it easy, but I am not seeing any temps, even at load or heavy gaming that make me what to drop an extra $200 on water blocks. Most of the time My Idle temps are at 28C-31C in the winter here in southern Indiana. Summer months I get around 34C-36C on my Phenom II 940@ 3.6 ghz and I have never seen it hit above 45C with any games I throw at it. My cards stay around 55C also... How ever I built my own custom case by hand, and lined it with Granite, so it is not your normal case.

This is about a core i7 setup, not a phenom II setup. Phenom IIs are much cooler then the core i7.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:04:48 AM

That's awesome, how did you make that?

Also I know this is mostly about i7's I was wanting feedback about but it's good to get feedback about this subject with any type of system. Do the i7's usually run a lot hotter then most cpu's? I have seen this get up to 150 Watt of power. Are there other cpu's that do that? how about the new 1090t 6 core phenoms?

Has Toms hardware been running slow for anyone else? it recently started running slow for me no matter what web browser I am using.
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:37:40 AM

I just overclocked I am at 3780mhz running prime 95 and my temp is 51C after 10 minutes but my desktop seems kind of laggy and skippy. I figure this might have to do with the overclock? normally when I have prime 95 open I can play crysis. Have you heard of anything like this? for instance right now when I am typing every 3 seconds or so it freezes and I keep typing when it gets stuck then 1 second later a whole sentence appears. This is weird, I try to right click on my desktop and it takes a second, and when I hover over icons its laggy when it highlights them
m
l
May 24, 2010 6:41:52 AM

What's the average vcore voltage and the qpi/vtt voltage with an i7 @ 4ghz? Also what is the limit intel recommends for the qpi/vtt? I have my vcore at 1.23 right now, running prime 95, its been 15 min but I bet after an hour or so ill get a blue screen.
m
l
May 24, 2010 11:18:12 AM

Thanks Vexun11, I love my case. It took me a week to build, and I did it all by hand. I went to a metal shop and had them cut the rough size's of sheet aluminum I needed and then used a grinder and whole drills, and a rivit gun to put it all together. I wrapped the outside with Granite I get from my work. I have never seen temps as good as what I get in this case. I got my ideas on the basic look for the case from mountain mods.com based off there UFO style case's.

I have a friend that has a I7 build and he wanted me to trouble shoot it and it had the same problem that your having. Lagging, In gaming and other things. He RMA'd the mother board and the I7 and the Ram. I didn't have time to go to his house and he didn't seem to want to bring it over to me. I think the RMA solved his problems.
m
l
May 24, 2010 1:15:38 PM

vexun11 said:
I do remember when I was installing the heatsink I heard a loud click for each pin but I was unable to hear a click from one of the push pins, I looked at the back of the board and it looked exactly like all the other ones, it looked like it went in just like the others, I even spent an extra 5 minutes trying to re do it and make sure I have it pushed in correctly. Anyway my temps are all over the place, right now I am idle at 48 and I was in crysis with max everything with my temp around 62, These temps are irratic. Is it really hard on the cpu to stress test it with prime 95? right now I am at 75C its been 2 minutes, I just saw it hit 76 for a second but it seems like its stable around these temps, would doing these tests degrade the cpu??

How do you like that corsair h50? I am interested in one of those, they look awesome and seem to have good benchmark results, the only thing that concerns me is that you have to bring air in from the back where normally you would have the air exhaust, you need to bring air in from the back to keep the water cool (from what I saw in a benchmark video) So they were saying you would need to change your whole cooling setup and make sure there is an exhaust for the rest of the excess warm air.

What do you think about the coolmaster v8? The reason I am being so specific with heatsinks is because there are only a few that I can buy because I am unable to have packages shipped to me for the next little while so I have options for those thermaltake black widow heatsinks or whatever other ones they have in store at www.bestbuy.com and a thermaltake v8 at a store near my house. I for sure want to get aftermarket cooling just to feel comfortable.

m
l
May 24, 2010 1:46:15 PM

2109291,11,531505 said:

How do you like that corsair h50? I am interested in one of those, they look awesome and seem to have good benchmark results, the only thing that concerns me is that you have to bring air in from the back where normally you would have the air exhaust, you need to bring air in from the back to keep the water cool (from what I saw in a benchmark video) So they were saying you would need to change your whole cooling setup and make sur
e there is an exhaust for the rest of the excess warm air.

What do you think about the coolmaster v8? The reason I am being so specific with heatsinks is because there are only a few that I can buy because I am unable to have packages shipped to me for the next little while so I haveoptions for those thermaltake black widow heatsinks or whatever otherones they have in store at www.bestbuy.com and a thermaltake v8 at a store near my house. I for sure want to get aftermarket cooling just to feelcomfortable.[/quotems

Hello.
I too have the I7 930 CPU.
My temperature was hovering around 60 deg Celsius on idle.
I purchased the V8 cooler master heat sink and it reduced the temp by about 5 degrees. I was not to impressed with that, so I upgraded my PC case, from my Thermaltake Soprano case to the Antec 900 mid tower.
The temperature after this case change reduced the temperature by up
to 20 degrees, now I am happy. In turbo mode (Asus motherboard) it hovers in idle at 40 - 45 degrees. My case also has the Sapphire HD 5850 graphics card and 16 gb of ram, with the V8 Cooler Master as mentioned previously. The Antec 900 case has 6 fans (1 optional side fan not included and 1 internal optional, but included).
Before the change of case I was running the core 2 quad and the temperature was never that hot.
Best of luck.

m
l
May 24, 2010 5:44:11 PM

I have that same case, I love it ! I fixed my temps, I will go into that later, I gotta go to work. Ill post back in 6 hours, later.

How long did it take you to make that case?

Is anyone else having issues with tomshardware taking a long time to load? It's been like this for the past few days, on firefox, opera and chrome.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 24, 2010 10:56:09 PM

Toms page seems to load fine for me. No noticeable changes.
I would like to hear how you fixed those temps ;)  . The max qpi/vtt voltage intel recommends is 1.35.

I think that if you're lagging like that, that seems like an unstable overclock. Did you lower the memory speed to reach that higher processor frequency? If not then that could cause the system to be unstable.
m
l
May 25, 2010 12:05:15 AM

hello, quick question. I have the intel i7 920. It runs at about 50c at normall and i was playing counter strike for 10mins and it jumped up to 65c. Should i be worried. I am running stock cooling and a thermaltake armor case. If so what would be the best cooler for me to get?

thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 1:30:33 AM

aus10 said:
hello, quick question. I have the intel i7 920. It runs at about 50c at normall and i was playing counter strike for 10mins and it jumped up to 65c. Should i be worried. I am running stock cooling and a thermaltake armor case. If so what would be the best cooler for me to get?

I would be worried about those temps, since counterstrike probably doesn't stress the comp too much. Under more load that could go up to the 80s or 90s. If you don't want to overclock you could just lower the voltages of the Vcore and Qpi to get a lower temp.

I also found that setting many of my auto voltages to the lowest manual voltage(which is stock voltage)on my asus board made my processor temp go down a few degrees and it hasn't been unstable.
m
l
May 25, 2010 4:19:33 AM

I applied some arctic silver paste to my i7 930 and temps went WAY WAY WAY down, wow I can't believe this! I got my scythe fans in the mail, newegg sent me the wrong fans, I ordered the thin ones and they are too thick , So I can no longer have a side fan.

Anyway yea with my motherboard the stock voltages are way high, everyone recommended that I bring them down. My overclock seems pretty stable other then the desktop lag, I ran prime 95 for a few hours with no problem, I ran the crysis cpu benchmark and it blew my mind, other then the desktop skipping everything seems good, it makes me think mabey its something to do with drivers??

Also I have my memory set up at 1600 which is what I always have it, I normally get 1600 at 12 but since my speeds went up I get 1600 at 8. Is there anything else I should change other then vtt/qpi and vcore?

Also I went to go take the heatsink off my chipset and I cant just take the chipset off that gets hot, I have to take this huge whole metal square thing off I didn't do it because there were these little white push pin things and I could not figure out how to take them off, I didn't want to pull too hard and break em. I did unscrew the northbridge chipset and lifted it up and couldn't get the rest off, so I probably need to re-seat it but I am sketched out because I have to take the whole damn thing out.

What are your thoughts on that? Are you familiar with chipsets
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 25, 2010 4:40:41 AM

vexun11 said:
I applied some arctic silver paste to my i7 930 and temps went WAY WAY WAY down, wow I can't believe this! I got my scythe fans in the mail, newegg sent me the wrong fans, I ordered the thin ones and they are too thick , So I can no longer have a side fan.

Anyway yea with my motherboard the stock voltages are way high, everyone recommended that I bring them down. My overclock seems pretty stable other then the desktop lag, I ran prime 95 for a few hours with no problem, I ran the crysis cpu benchmark and it blew my mind, other then the desktop skipping everything seems good, it makes me think mabey its something to do with drivers??

Also I have my memory set up at 1600 which is what I always have it, I normally get 1600 at 12 but since my speeds went up I get 1600 at 8. Is there anything else I should change other then vtt/qpi and vcore?

Also I went to go take the heatsink off my chipset and I cant just take the chipset off that gets hot, I have to take this huge whole metal square thing off I didn't do it because there were these little white push pin things and I could not figure out how to take them off, I didn't want to pull too hard and break em. I did unscrew the northbridge chipset and lifted it up and couldn't get the rest off, so I probably need to re-seat it but I am sketched out because I have to take the whole damn thing out.

What are your thoughts on that? Are you familiar with chipsets

What is your memory rated at(speed/timings)? I've tried tightening my timings a little too much and it did seem to make the desktop unstable while I was able to do other tasks just fine. I would recommend you raise the timings a little to see if that fixes the problem. For a non-extreme overclock all you would need is to raise the Qpi and vcore voltages. You also have to keep your memory at a stable speed and timings or you will get instability as well.

Sorry, I actually haven't taken apart a chipset yet, I'm kinda new to this myself :??:  .
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:15:14 AM

I haven't changed any of the memory timings, I don't know anything about memory timings, I just have it set to automatic. I think its something wrong with a program I use called Stardock Fences, my desktop is lagging a bit but not bad, crysis benchmark is running so smooth.

Anyway this is weird. After I applied the arctic silver the temps were around 41-44, I then turned on prime 95, the temps went up to 45-46 for about 10 minutes, then I saw them quickly go up to 55 then slowly to 60, its been going for an hour now, its at 57. I am running 2 scythe kaze fans, newegg sent me the wrong kind, one is 800rpm silent the other is 1900rpm speed, I have the speed one pushing in the heatsink, the silent one sucking the air out and a thermaltake 120mm fan exhausting the air out the back of my case.
m
l
!