New i7 running hot

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
There was a post about this same topic but there was a few things that were irrelevant. Anyway I just built a new system, I am using the same case I used before, just new motherboard memory & cpu. i7 930, GA-x58A-UD3R Gigabyte 1366 board and 3x2GB DDR3 1600 G skill memory. This cpu runs really hot and the motherboard was making a high pitch sound which is a very common thing with this board, I was able to fix it by disabling the c1e and c3/c6/c7 and a few other tweaks to fix it which thank god I did because I love this board.

Anyway I disabled hyperthreading and a few other things to keep the temps under 60C Right not my temps have been averaging idle at 52-56 and when I run prime 95 after a couple minutes it gets up to 75C so I stopped the test because I didnt want to damage the cpu. I know this cpu runs a lot hotter then most cpu's but this kind of heat has to be bad for the cpu. I down clocked the cpu from 2.8 to 2.6 and it seemed to take it down 1C or so. My radeon 5830 used to idle at 48 and peak at 62, now it idles at 55-58 and at full load gets up to 68. I would like to avoid getting an aftermarket cooler but if its the only way to go to keep the processor from degrading then I will do it. Also my motherboard is pretty hot, there are 2 heatsinks on the board and I can only hold my finger on them for 2-3 seconds before it burns. Is my board at risk?? I do have pretty good air flow right now, if I didnt im sure my temps would be a lot higher.

Why would intel not put a better heatsink then this on there, you would think they would so people wouldn't have issues and send the cpu back for another. What is up with all that? Intel makes a product that runs hot with the stock cooler, should be the opposite so that the processor would last longer and they wouldn't have as many problems...

I am interested in getting one of those corsaid h50 cpu coolers but whats holding me back is that I would have to take the motherboard out and put a new mounting plate on the back of the board which would be a pain because the motherboard was such a pain because seating the board with the io bracket or whatever its called.. It took me an hour and frustration to get it set up correctly..

Also why would a motherboard make a high pitch sound? A lot of people had the same thing happen. I have a thermaltake supranors case with 4 120mm fans one in the back exhausting air, 2 on the side windows one blowing on gpu other on cpu, and one fan in the fron blowing in, I also have a 80mm fan on the bottom of the case lifted up about 2 inches so it can get air flow, I also have another 80mm Fan blowing on my ram next to my cd drive bay. Is this a good idea?

I have been rambling, too many questions.. Anyway any feedback would be a lot of help.

Thanks!

Solution
Well, I can answer a few of your questions.

Your CPU is really getting a bit too hot, but that's really average for the Intel stock cooler. The reason why the stock coolers suck is because Intel never designed them for overclocking, they needed it to be cheap and just make sure the CPU did not go above 70°C on full load. The reason why? Because those who actually monitor temps are normally ones who overclock or tweak their computers, and most of the time the Core i7 never reaches full load in most applications, which means that the stock cooler does the job well enough, which is all Intel needs.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Good to know thanks, I do plan to get an aftermarket cooler and I don't plan to overclock until I really have a use for it, this already seems fast enough but in the future if it makes a huge difference then I might overclock.. Anyway my temps were getting pretty high earlier because it was so hot, I am idle right now at 52 and when I am in games I get up to 65 -68, is this okay? I remember with my AMD X2 5600 I would idle at around 45 and in games I would get up to 65C and people told me to not risk damaging the cpu at those temps and to get an aftermarket cooler, thats the reason I am worried about the i7 overheating at 65 -70C . Are the i7 cpu's able to handle more heat? Also is it normal for the motherboard to be this hot? It shows the motherboard temps being between 50-55 at times, sometimes in the mid 40's.

Also would you recommend the corsair h50 watercooling heatsink? this stock intel heatsink is really loud and is heating up my video card.

What would you say the average i7 temps most people get, and whats really safe.

The most important thing I want to know is what intel expects the temp to be with the stock heatsink, atleast if there is air flow. Also does hyperthreading and i7 turbo effect temperatures? Would you recommend I do anything else other then getting a new aftermarket cooler? is there anything else I can add to help cool the motherboard like one of these antec spot on fans -

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Antec+-+Spot+Cool+Case+Fan/8013339.p?id=1156203596895&skuId=8013339&st=antec%20cooler&cp=1&lp=1

The absolute max core temperature that the CPU can reach before it throttles down the multiplier to prevent it from being killed is actually 100°C. Anything below 75°C is OK, anything below 70°C is good, and anything below 60°C is ideal. Each CPU's max temperature is different, so your AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 wouldn't have the same thermal limits as the Core i7 930.

As for the motherboard temperature, I'm not sure if it's the motherboard itself or the X58 northbridge chipset which can get very hot - mine idles at 72°C sometimes, but it's OK for me I guess.

I wouldn't really recommend the Corsair H50, it's not a bad cooler, but you're better off with a Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright Venomous-X. I suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus though, it's a very good performer for its price.

Average temperatures for the Core i7 using the stock cooler is around 50°C idle and maxes at 80°C load. Very safe/ideal would be below 60°C for core temperatures.

Hyper-Threading does create quite a lot more heat, that's why you see people sometimes being able to reach over 4.1GHz on air after turning Hyper-Threading off. Turbo boost would affect the Core i7's temperatures minimally I'd say, mainly because the boost is maxed at 266MHz.

I don't see what else you need to do really. The fan looks OK, although I'm not sure how much better one of those fans would be. If your case has an optional side panel fan, I suggest you do mount one which would help your motherboard.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can go to frostytech.com to get more information on aftermarket coolers.

That cpu is pretty fast at stock speeds, and depending on what programs you run its turbo mode will achieve better results than a mild overclock will. Also depending on what apps you run you probably won't stress the cpu as much as prime95 will. You could run coretemp and watch it while you run your normal apps and see what the temps are there.

I wouldn't install a stock cooler even if I wasn't going to overclock. I upgraded one of our old machines recently that had a core 2 duo with stock cooler, running at stock speeds. It ran hotter than my overclocked machines with aftermarket coolers.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Good to know thank you. Why would you not recommend the h50? I mainly want it because it is really quiet and I saw some reviews that looked pretty good. It is expensive though, what I really want like most people is near silence and good temps.

notty22

Distinguished
The stock Intel hsf is not great, but your temps , you have a mounting problem. One of the pushpins is probably not through the back side. Plenty of people have run the stock hsf for a while. If things are right 40's idle maybe up to 80 in prime 95 with hyperthreading.
I have a i5 750 , that I ran the stock hsf for a month before upgrading to the corsair h50.
Stock and even o/c my bcclck up to 155 my temps were 30's idle 80's prime 95 at 3600 mhz.
With the corsair high 60's at 4.0ghz and low 20's idle. cie,eist enabled

The 1336's DO run a little hotter than the lynfields.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
My i7 920 C0 is 72C after a few minutes of prime 95 with the stock intel cooler. I also keep the cooler's fan at a lower speed to keep it quiet. I have it at stock voltages, hyperthreading on.
Those temps seem high compared to my 920 since the 930 is at a lower default voltage.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I do remember when I was installing the heatsink I heard a loud click for each pin but I was unable to hear a click from one of the push pins, I looked at the back of the board and it looked exactly like all the other ones, it looked like it went in just like the others, I even spent an extra 5 minutes trying to re do it and make sure I have it pushed in correctly. Anyway my temps are all over the place, right now I am idle at 48 and I was in crysis with max everything with my temp around 62, These temps are irratic. Is it really hard on the cpu to stress test it with prime 95? right now I am at 75C its been 2 minutes, I just saw it hit 76 for a second but it seems like its stable around these temps, would doing these tests degrade the cpu??

How do you like that corsair h50? I am interested in one of those, they look awesome and seem to have good benchmark results, the only thing that concerns me is that you have to bring air in from the back where normally you would have the air exhaust, you need to bring air in from the back to keep the water cool (from what I saw in a benchmark video) So they were saying you would need to change your whole cooling setup and make sure there is an exhaust for the rest of the excess warm air.

What do you think about the coolmaster v8? The reason I am being so specific with heatsinks is because there are only a few that I can buy because I am unable to have packages shipped to me for the next little while so I have options for those thermaltake black widow heatsinks or whatever other ones they have in store at www.bestbuy.com and a thermaltake v8 at a store near my house. I for sure want to get aftermarket cooling just to feel comfortable.

jeyd02

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
if this helps you, i get 44C idle and 80C load, 4ghz, Hyperthreading=on turbo =on

with the zalman cnps9900...i will eventually upgrade to liquid cooling or rather better air heatsink...

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I picked up an h50 heatsink, my temps have been weird, earlier when I got home from work i was idle around 40 ish and motherboard the same, but slowly the motherboard gets hotter and hotter, right now its at 65C and I have seen it get in the 70's running prime 95. I should have enough airflow, I even flipped the fans around doing a push pull exhausting from the rear 120 , Should I be worried having these temps for this motherboard? Everything is stable but those temps are a bit up there, im gona run prime 95 and see what my temps are at clock speed with ht on.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This h50 isn't doing its job as well as I thought it would, it is really warm inside my room though, I haven't started using AC yet so id say my temps are around 6-8C warmer then normal, this corsair h50 is really good for load temps but idle temps don't seem too good (for the 1366 chipsets) I am sure if I had this cooler with my AMD X2 5600 my temps would be incredible. I am going to order a new cooler, I really want the best performance I can get with an air cooler for around the same price as the h50 if it's really worth it and a big enough upgrade. I also am worried about this motherboards northbridge temps, mine is idle at 63C and cpu idle is 48 which is better then normal for cpu and about average for chipset.

is there anything else I can do to cool down the chipset, I don't feel comfortable having a system that runs this hot, plus with summer coming this computer will be like a heater..

Is watercooling hard to install? How much would a kit cost? teach me!

thanks

jeyd02

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

wowow. you should really be worry instead...thats some pretty high temps for idle.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The nd-d14 wont fit over my ram, I wish I had gotten smaller ram now, Anyways I was about to order a megahalem but I didnt know what fans to get, I cant have too much noise, I would like a heatsink that comes with its own fan that is decent, I want to try to keep this as simple as possible. I am not sure what to do here there is way too much to decide on, I would pick up that hyper 1221 or whatever it is but its sold out on newegg, I just want something decent.

I was just looking at some chipset coolers, I need something like this for my chipset to cool it down but this is too expensive

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1305&ID=1901

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Okay, I just installed the Megahalems and my idle temp is 52 and im in prime 95 after a couple minutes im at 62C, I have the window open, room temp isn't all that hot. I am very upset. There is a lot of air blowing out my rear exhaust fan, I have a 4pin corsair fan blowing in the heatsink and the exhaust fan is about 4 inches away from the heatsink so it should be good enough, This is around the same as the h50, no difference really..... I put on a perfect layer of the thermal paste that came with the cpu, I know if I used a really good brand the temp would go down but I doubt it would make the temps go down enough to make it the way it should be, I applied a thin layer to the cpu, not too much not too little, I am running everything stock in the bios with no hyperthreading on. The chipset is running at the same temps before as the h50 was running................ It doesnt overheat in prime 95 at all, I just think i should have a cooler idle temp! I purchased this cpu cooler because summer is coming up and I don't want to heat my room up even more.

I am upset! Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Have you tried manually setting the voltages in bios(1.15 vcore, 1.20qpi, vcore could go lower, mines at 1.04 with C0 920). With the stock heatsink(and AS5) my temps are 38C idle and 55C full load in prime 95 with large FFTs.
If you used the old thermal paste that was on the old heatsink, that could cause your temps to be much higher. I would get some cheap AS5, it could drop temps by 5-10C.
That idle also seems high for the chipset...My Asus board is ~40C idle and ~60C load.
What is the ambient temp in the room? My ambient is ~20C. 30C=/=20C in ambient temp.

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I really appreciate it! Right now my room is pretty cold but at certain parts of the day it gets really hot up here, mabey 75-80Fº I have tried lowering my voltages, when I had my cpu vcore around 1.0 my temps dropped a lot, NB temp was around 53 but I was unable to have hyperthreading on and had to run 2.8ghz which I really don't want cuz its not fast enough so I tried increasing it for a 3.2ghz but I had to take it way up to like 1.25 to get that. I will go and try to decrease the qpi to 1.20 and see what that does. What specific thing changes the northbridge temp? is it qpi? or what.?

also am I safe to have my motherboard temps idle around 55-60 and cpu temp idle around 50? I think my cpu temp sensor might be off because when my cpu was 70C under prime 95 I touched my heatsink and it felt cool, so I moved my fingers clear back to the copper fins and touched all of them and they felt warm but I could keep my hand on them, they did not feel hot, so I touched the fins on my video card which was at 55C and it felt a LOT more hot.

however when touching the heatsink below my cpu cooler it is quite warm when it gets above 60C I can keep it there for 1-3 seconds depending on the temp before it burns my hand really bad. Do you think my cpu sensor is off because I feel no heat on the heatsink which is Huge might I add. I am not talking about it being cool just in 1 certain area im talking about it being cool / a little warm no matter where I touch it, even near the cpu. Is there any way to check and see if the sensor is working right?