Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PSU Fan stops and starts

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2010 8:19:03 AM

My PSU fan stops and runs for about 1 sec to 3 sec and then stops for about 1 to 3 secs and repeats this. Sometimes the PSU fan stops or doesn't run at all when i check it and last night it made a bad noise so i shut it down. I took the PSU out and clean out the dust that was caked in it and it ran for a bit but it's now doing the same stop and go every 1 to 3 secs.
The questions i have is should the fan be running all the time on PSU? What do you think is wrong with the PSU? Do i need a duel v12 PSU?

Right now I'm using the Cool Master, ATX, v12, 500w
8800 GTS Nvidia
AMD Quad Core 9500 Phenom
4gig RAM
DVD RW/R
2 system fans
1TB SATA hard drive

Here is a Screen shot of speedfan http://i40.tinypic.com/b3suc3.jpg

More about : psu fan stops starts

a c 80 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 9:52:26 AM

It should be possible to remove that fan and replace it with a new one. Seeing as you don't have a great PSU anyways, I'm not sure I'd bother. You might as well get a newer one that performs better.
May 10, 2010 10:37:50 AM

4745454b said:
It should be possible to remove that fan and replace it with a new one. Seeing as you don't have a great PSU anyways, I'm not sure I'd bother. You might as well get a newer one that performs better.

How can you tell it's not a good PSU? How would i go about finding a good PSU?
Related resources
a c 80 ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 11:15:05 AM

I can tell because its a coolermaster. They don't make many good ones. Granted you didn't give us a lot of info on it so I'm only going by name. If you can find a model number on it you can look it up and look for reviews.

If you are comfortable with electronics you can open it up and replace the fan. Its not a big deal at all. As I said however if its not the best PSU out there you are probably better off just buying a new one. Antecs current lines, Corsair, Enermax, and Seasonic is who I'd look to for a new one.
a c 80 ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 1:25:27 AM

Yeah, its junk. Do you see that red switch on the right side of the case? Thats the voltage selector switch, which means its an old design. Efficiency is less then 80%. There is no indication of how much power is available on the 12v rails. And I'm sure if you looked it up online you could find a review of it, and I doubt it would be a good one.

Here is a good one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$50 counting shipping. It will be $35 if you get the $15 rebate back. The Corsair 400W is a good one, and should provide enough power for most cards. The X2 type cards will be to much as would the new GTX4xx cards, but most everything else should be alright.
May 11, 2010 2:43:03 AM

I just want to say that the people on this forum have been extra nice and helpful. I have a lot of respect for this place and want to say thank you for all of your help. I have been to a lot of forums and most of them either ignore you or been rude. This one is very adult and respectful. Thank you hairyshit for the good fast and correct information and thank you 4745454b for the good fast information and help finding a new PSU. You guys rock!
May 11, 2010 2:47:47 AM

Best answer selected by deity.
a c 80 ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 2:59:40 AM

LOL, I just saw his name. Why is that name allowed here. (oh, this thread...)
a b ) Power supply
October 9, 2010 10:09:46 PM

4745454b said:
LOL, I just saw his name. Why is that name allowed here. (oh, this thread...)

I had the hairyshit username for a while but I just got snipered by the mods and I had to settle for hairystuff instead, oh well.
October 9, 2010 10:42:32 PM

I just wanted to say i put that oil on the fan and it's still working. I did have to do it again after a month or so but it's running smooth right now. Now my problem is that my GPU is running hotter then before and i clean it out and made sure it was running good.
a b ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 12:44:25 AM

hairystuff said:
I had the hairyshit username for a while but I just got snipered by the mods and I had to settle for hairystuff instead, oh well.

Don't necro old threads.
a b ) Power supply
October 10, 2010 5:59:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!