RAID0 low capacity available

ejmin

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello

I'm trying to create RAID0 with two drives. The first is 320GB and second 1TB.
I know it won't be 1,32TB. The summary capacity should be 1229,5 GB (298.0 + 931.5).
It asks for RAID name, RAID level, Strip Size and Capacity.
Capacity is by default 596.2 GB and below is "The default value indicates the maximum capacity using the selected disks....".

What am I doing wrong? I hope the maximum size could be at least 1100GB. How is it posible to have available only a half of the smaller drive?

I have GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3-B3 (BIOS version F10)
Drives Samsung (320GB) and Western Digital (1.0TB)
CPU: Intel Core i3-2100

Thanks for replying.

Added.
You didn't post your system nor usagage, But for the OS + programs raid0 does not offer much performance boost - Look into a SSD for OS + Programs - MUCH MUCH faster for boot times and program load times. NOTE neither will boost run time.
Raid0 0 for hard drive makes since if often working with larg file structures such as large video files, Large spreadsheets/databases, CAD Cam drawings and if you do a LOT of editing large Jpeg/Bitmap photos.

Raid0:
Increase Sequencial read/writes (good boost, and reason it's a great solution when working with the large file structures.
No Improvement on access time and very little improvement on the 4 K random performance. Reason it does NOT help OS and program load.