Will the Fermi series affect the price of current mid-range cards?

yonyz

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Hi,

I've just read that nVIDIA will release its Fermi series' cards in March, and was wondering whether it will affect the price of current mid-range cards like the Radeon HD5670, or only other, high-end cards.

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
It has been pushed back until 2nd Quarter. As far it influencing competitors pricing, probably. But only if one of the Fermi is competitive at a similar or price.

HD5670 is low end actually. The HD5750 and HD5770 are mid. I doubt Fermi cards will be competitively priced in the under $200 area initially so the effect on prices will likely be minimal.

nVidia's strategy to date has been to introduce their newer low end cards as OEM models (300 series) only and as DX10.1 ...."so far". Once fermi is released, the 1st cards will likely be higher end as that's what makes headlines....but I expect that they will follow with consumer cards at the low end also. Another option would be to "announe" their lower end line with the idea that peeps will keep their $$ in their pocket till they see how the market shakes out. This ould reduce demand and drop prices.

We are used to buying hardware at a substantial discount under MSRP but ATO cards have been selling for a couple of months well above MSRP and methinks that pricing will at least drop to MSRP soon after competition arrives on the scene.

The 'series' could, but the launch GF100 will have no impact on mid-range and low-end models, it's not even close to their market. It would be like asking will the price of the new Bugatti affect the price of the Chevy Cobalt or Honda Fit.

The only thing that could possibly influence the prices of the mid & low range cards would be the introduction of something that is in that segment, and that's not expected until the summer.

Eventually it will influence prices, but if you're looking for some price changes in March it aint' gonna be Fermi that does that, heck they'll be hard pressed to get something into market for March to influence prices on the high end, especially since it will likely arrive with low volume and a street price likely well above MSRP in order to get one.

Fermi is still releasing in March. Nv's Jen said it'll be in full swing by 2nd Q, so it'll be in mass availability in the 2nd Quarter.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
he says a lot of things though...

I seem to remember a poorly made mock up held together with wood screws LMAO

I do hope they get it out finally soon ;)