Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Converting parallel port to usb

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2010 5:29:41 AM

Hello,
The idea of just getting a new cheap printer is fine for the most part; however, I have a HP Laserjet III (since about 1990) which frankly prints B&W better than the Cannon and Brother Inkjets and better than the Brother laser. So for me, I hope to be able to find a solution; otherwise, I have to sacrifice my sound card to insert a parallel port. So if anyone reads this and knows of a way to get the computer to recognize the virtual LPT1 port, I hope you will respond.
Paul

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2010 5:40:11 AM

Something like this or this, perhaps?

EDIT: I love newegg for computer parts, but I have yet to see the website that can compete with monoprice.com for price and quality on cables. The converters linked above are about 1/3rd the cost of the converter Paperdoc linked. CNet uses audio cables from monoprice.com in their test gear, and I've never had any problems with computer or a/v cables from monoprice.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 3:30:45 PM

I had the same problem when my wife got a new computer...no printer port. I have an old HP LaserJet 4P that will probably outlast one of the newer disposable printers. It should it cost $1000 when new!

Anyway I ended up taking the cheap way out and ordering a USB to parallel cable on ebay. It did kind of work and finally died after a few weeks. I ended up moving the LaserJet to another computer. So don't get a cheap one.

Now I want to replace the older computer with a new build. I did find a motherboard with a Parallel port so I may go that way.

Good luck and don't do like I did and try to spend too little!
m
l
March 12, 2010 1:59:23 PM

Best answer selected by croyd.
m
l
March 14, 2010 7:45:29 AM

coldsleep said:
Something like this or this, perhaps?

EDIT: I love newegg for computer parts, but I have yet to see the website that can compete with monoprice.com for price and quality on cables. The converters linked above are about 1/3rd the cost of the converter Paperdoc linked. CNet uses audio cables from monoprice.com in their test gear, and I've never had any problems with computer or a/v cables from monoprice.

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to help me with this issue. Thanks again. Paul C.
m
l
March 14, 2010 7:48:12 AM

Paperdoc said:
This one from Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

has good user comments (except one who could not get a multifunction unit to scan) and IS bidirectional.

I wanted to thank you as well for taking the time to offer me help with the parallel printer. Now at least I have two available options. Newegg is more expensive but considering what I spent for the HP Laserjet III it is still worth it if it works and the other does not. Again, thanks for the help. Paul C.
m
l
!