CF Card or Camera?

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
November 28, 2004 11:16:43 PM

I have a relatively new Nikon Coolpix 8700, and a Transcend 512MB
CompactFlash card I purchased at about the same time. Twice now, when
I've taken a day's worth of pictures, and slid the card into the PC's
internal reader, Nikon Transfer has told me there's no pictures on the
card - which ThumbsPlus and other Windows programs agree with.
Fortunately, both times I was able to recover the photos with Zero
Assumption Digital Image Recovery. Both times I reformatted the disk,
and it worked fine afterwards. This is twice in about two months,
I've owned the camera and card for about, oh, 6 months maybe.

So here's the question: Is it the card or the camera (my money's on
the card)? What can I do about it? Is it better to reformat the card
in the camera, or in Windows? Either way, the data on the disk is not
actually wiped clean (probably just the FAT is), since ZADIR is still
able to recover images after a fresh reformat.

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

More about : card camera

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:57:47 PM

jmc wrote:
> Is it better to reformat the card
> in the camera, or in Windows?

Camera.

David
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:57:48 PM

I've used both, most people recommend camera and you certainly can't go
wrong using the camera. If you use the card reader, make sure it's doing
correct fat size. For me that is fat16 and winxp doesn't default to that.
Keep an eye on the problem. If it happens again see if card vendor will take
a look at the card and possibly replace for you.
Dave Cohen

"David J Taylor" <david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote in message
> jmc wrote:
>> Is it better to reformat the card
>> in the camera, or in Windows?
>
> Camera.
>
> David

Related resources
November 29, 2004 12:08:49 AM

Justín Käse wrote:

>In Message-ID:<o7ckq01vvk4p53nm3r7a68cc72r6j16b17@4ax.com> posted on
>Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:16:43 +0000, jmc wrote:
>
>>I have a relatively new Nikon Coolpix 8700, and a Transcend 512MB
>>CompactFlash card I purchased at about the same time. Twice now, when
>>I've taken a day's worth of pictures, and slid the card into the PC's
>>internal reader, Nikon Transfer has told me there's no pictures on the
>>card - which ThumbsPlus and other Windows programs agree with.
>>Fortunately, both times I was able to recover the photos with Zero
>>Assumption Digital Image Recovery. Both times I reformatted the disk,
>>and it worked fine afterwards.

Where is the card being formatted, in the computer or the camera?

It's always best to format a card in the camera for compatibility with
the camera's file system. Most card readers don't have a problem reading
the card, regardless of what device did the format.
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 8:16:50 AM

Perhaps I'm overcautious, but I never do anything with my CF cards on
my PC except read them. (I have one old CF card that I use if I want
to use it as a pen-drive-type storage device, but I will never put
that card in my camera.)

Gary
Anonymous
November 30, 2004 6:57:55 PM

Yes, you are overcautious. I use mine for transfering data
between several computers with no probs.

Graham

!