Compatibility and Efficiency? I would like to order the parts ASAP! =)

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Here's what I have

Does anyone notice any compatibility issues?

In your opinions, Is the phenom II going to be worth the 45 extra dollars that it is costing rather than
sticking with the Athlon II?

Is there anything that I could do differently and keep the price in this neighborhood that might yield a better machine?

Could I cut down on my MOBO at all? Overclocking isn't a concern, but I may want to Xfire in the future. Also

Thanks for the help on my last post especially! It got me started!

CASE
PSU
MOBO
HDD
RAM

EDIT: GPU AND CPU combo now HERE

Solution
I would personally go for either a Cooler Master 590 or an Antec 300 for more space and better airflow.
There is currently a combo with Antec 300 Illusion + Antec EarthWatts 650W which should be sufficient to power your system with dual 5770.

The CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W is only $10 more and despite being rated at 650W is more powerful and efficient plus it has active PFC.

Many would probably advice you to go with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB for a gaming build or the Samsung F3 500GB if you are mostly doing video related work on your PC, but there is something to be said for WD reliability, but if going with the WD you should get the Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB...

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I would personally go for either a Cooler Master 590 or an Antec 300 for more space and better airflow.
There is currently a combo with Antec 300 Illusion + Antec EarthWatts 650W which should be sufficient to power your system with dual 5770.

The CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W is only $10 more and despite being rated at 650W is more powerful and efficient plus it has active PFC.

Many would probably advice you to go with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB for a gaming build or the Samsung F3 500GB if you are mostly doing video related work on your PC, but there is something to be said for WD reliability, but if going with the WD you should get the Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB for $5 more.

Check both motherboard and memory manufacturers web site if you are having doubts about compatibility.

Good choice of CPU, I guess you saw it, but you can combo it with your motherboard and get a free copy of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.

Can not really comment on your choice of GPU when we do not know the resolution of your monitor or intended usage of the PC.

Solution
With the notable exception of Enermax, if you see "max" in the name of a PSU, it is a reference to the size of the pyrotechnic display it will put on when it dies, or to the number and expense of the other parts it will take with it when it goes.
http://www.corsair.com/cinema/movie.aspx?id=622747 (love this link, including the "What an idiot" music)
If you intend to Crossfire two video cards on the mobo you have selected, the 650W Corsair linked by lothdk would be good. Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, and Enermax also make quality PSUs. If you will only run a single video card, 500W-550W is plenty.
If by efficiency you are referring to minimum power usage, check out Intel's offerings. They will be more expensive up front, but power usage is notably lower, e.g.: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?b=63&c=1
The Apevia case may look nice, but I'd be concerned about quality. The single Apevia case I bought some time ago was a brilliant design, fatally flawed by extremely flimsy materials, and a factory drone had run a screw through the power switch wires, shorting them out. I've also not been happy with Coolermaster cases, and no longer buy them. Even my RC-690 had untapped screw holes and minor fit issues. My next case will probably be an Antec 200 or 300. I like the bottom-mounted PSU, and my wife's (and another) Antec Solo are excellent, solid cases.

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Thanks for the help everyone! I have an unopened DVD drive I will be using.

After reading more I am kind of wishing I had gone ahead and sprung for the 5850 ... or am I just as well off xfiring another 5770?

Thanks again!