Sign in with
Your question

How to overclock a gigabyte 5850?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2012 8:38:51 PM

Hello! so i recently made my first new built and i got a gigabyte 5850 http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=..., i want to know how to overclock it, the pros and cons of overclocking, all the programas necessary to do so.
My other specs are: Intel core i3 3220, 500gb Toshiba hdd, asus p8h77v-le motherboard, corsair cx600w psu and 4 gb of ram.

Thank You. :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 1:36:14 PM

Hi.

Pros:

1) More performance for the same money
2) You find it funny while you do it
3) Why not get more performance if the GPU can do it?

Contras:

1) While you can find the stable clocks, the process will be BSoD over and over again.
2) Can be frustrating if you don't see quickly results

You will need MSI Aferburner...
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:54:58 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

Pros:

1) More performance for the same money
2) You find it funny while you do it
3) Why not get more performance if the GPU can do it?

Contras:

1) While you can find the stable clocks, the process will be BSoD over and over again.
2) Can be frustrating if you don't see quickly results

You will need MSI Aferburner...

So i just download msi afterburner follow the programs instruction and thats all?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 1:59:46 PM

You need to look for that in Google a little, basically is start to change the clock of the GPU in little steps 50MHz as much, also check the configuration of the program for enable the unlock voltage that give you the option to rise the voltage of the GPU a little more to get higher clocks.
m
l
December 27, 2012 4:03:21 PM

saint19 said:
You need to look for that in Google a little, basically is start to change the clock of the GPU in little steps 50MHz as much, also check the configuration of the program for enable the unlock voltage that give you the option to rise the voltage of the GPU a little more to get higher clocks.

How about 924 / 1224 on 1.2v do you think it will be stable? I looked at this score on msi kombustor http://www.ozone3d.net/msi_kombustor/score_200.php?id=1.... Temperatures seem perfect.

Is he using 1.2v on each one right?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 4:07:52 PM

You need to test all those settings, could be stable on paper or for us, but the real stable is when you can play a lot of hours without problems.
m
l
December 28, 2012 1:33:21 AM

saint19 said:
You need to test all those settings, could be stable on paper or for us, but the real stable is when you can play a lot of hours without problems.

Fabric Settings:

Overclocked:

So i tweaked a little bit and gained 10 fps. What do you think? what would you recommend? my GPU will be performing like a hd xxxx??
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 28, 2012 12:21:25 PM

What about games? Can you play it without problems?
m
l
December 28, 2012 8:36:47 PM

saint19 said:
What about games? Can you play it without problems?

I have played sleeping doggs no problems with that wasn't ultra, because the game didn't let me (don't know why)

hitman absolution on ultra i have just a little issues on some scenes nothing major,

and on farcry3 im having issues on ultra, (AA is off, v -sinc off) when im a top of a mountain or radio tower becames slow when i look to the sky also.

Is this normal?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
December 31, 2012 11:13:47 AM

At stock settings can you play Farcry3 without those problems?
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:11:18 PM

saint19 said:
At stock settings can you play Farcry3 without those problems?

On ultra nope, but im thinking more that this is a processor thing because i have a core I3 3220. Do you think that a higher processor is needed when playing on ultra?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 293 K Overclocking
January 2, 2013 1:48:09 PM

That's not the best processor for play games in high or ulta settings, the today's games depends more of GPU but also need the CPU in some point.
m
l
!