Sign in with
Your question

Should I Overclock?

Last response: in Overclocking
December 26, 2012 9:30:05 PM

Should I overclock and how should I go about doing it if i do? I have an Asrock mobo with an I7 3770k on stock settings my cpu cooler is the CM hyper 212 plus. it seems to run very cool in my case the CM Storm Trooper.

More about : overclock

a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 26, 2012 10:03:35 PM

You have a decent cooler, so you should be able to get a nice mild overclock.

Read the stickies in this section for "how to" information.

Ivy bridge overclocks the same way sandy bridge does but with lower voltages. (However it gets hot a after a certain point, so test well and keep an eye on voltages and temps)

Try to stay below 1.3v and 70-80C under max load. Don't go any higher with your voltage than is needed to stabilize your CPU.
m
l
December 26, 2012 10:36:22 PM

Well, I dont want to go too high. I was hoping around 4.2 and that should be enough
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 12:38:28 AM

That's a reasonable goal (probably able to do it), but remember that there are no guaranties. Every chip is different.

m
l
a c 93 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
December 27, 2012 1:03:44 AM

If you're asking yourself, the answer is probably no.

Overclocking is done for one of two purposes: the need to push more speed out of an under-performing chip when budget is restrictive, or insanity. I'm in the second group, as are most overclockers 'round these parts.

Can you get good performance out of a stock clock nowadays? Heck yes. Do you need to overclock, even to play intense games? Nope. But it's fun.
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:21:09 AM

I want to be accustomed to overclocking because I will be getting into the hobby of watercooling in the future
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:36:08 AM

stevenk92 said:
I want to be accustomed to overclocking because I will be getting into the hobby of watercooling in the future

Not to question your decision, but I think most people get into watercooling because they're overclocking. There's no need to watercool anything (unless you're going for a specialty silent build or something) without the OCing, IMO.
m
l
December 27, 2012 1:52:12 AM

I don't mind criticism. I want to overclocking for the looks and for overclocking as well. I just have not had a system of my own to do jt
m
l
!