First time overclocking here!

markrodgers11

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello, it's my first time attempting to overclock. I'm looking to overclock my CPU to gain higher framerate in DayZ (ArmA 2 mod) as I have heard ArmA 2 is VERY CPU dependent, even more so than your GPU.

I just got a gtx 660 yesterday and STILL have troubles maxing out ArmA 2 whilst I have a buddy with a 500 series gtx card (which is nowhere near as good as mine) and he has no problem maxing out the game. Although he does have a 4.5ghz intel processor.

I included link to my motherboard in the specs below because the motherboard mentions it being unlocked and turbo boost and stuff and I'm not quite sure but I think that has to do with overclocking?

Anyways, I'd love to OC my CPU as higher as possible w/o fuckin my *** up! xD

-Thanks,
Mark

Specs:
CPU: AMD Athlon II 640 X4 3.0GHz Quad-Core
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5
Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
Memory: 4G G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 1600
PSU: Cooler Master GX Series 750w
HDD: 500GB Samsung 7200 RPM

Your problem aren't the GPU, even with overclock the CPU is a blooleneck for that SLI. The CPU is locked, so, if you overclock it using FSB the RAM speed and almost all the linked things to that will change immediately.

I'd prefer change that AMD CPU and mobo, for an Intel CPU and motherboard.

markrodgers11

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Yes I have been looking towards doing so but I'm not very famliar with Intel CPUs..could anyone recommend the best intel cpu for gaming whilst trying to keep the price down because I don't have much money and switching my mobo and cpu at one time would cost quite a bit.