Thief 3 - Garrett Moving On His Own

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Thief 3.

When I load a saved game, Garrett starts moving forward on his own when I'm
not even touching the keyboard or the mouse. I have installed the 1.1 patch
but it hasn't resolved this particular problem. The problem is
intermittent, sometimes I start the game up and it's fine. I have rebooted
my PC a couple of times and started the game again but still get the same
problem, and it happens on various saved levels.

I remember having the same problem with one of the Tomb Raider games a
couple of years ago - Lara kept moving forward and often got killed by
falling off a ledge. Wasn't that an Eidos game too? I don't ever remember
resolving that one either.

Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers
--
Jayne

Her - "Where's the cat?"
Him - "What cat?"
Her - "The one that s**t in my mouth while I was asleep."

SeventhStranger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a problem with Thief 3.
>
> When I load a saved game, Garrett starts moving forward on his own when I'm
> not even touching the keyboard or the mouse. I have installed the 1.1 patch
> but it hasn't resolved this particular problem. The problem is
> intermittent, sometimes I start the game up and it's fine. I have rebooted
> my PC a couple of times and started the game again but still get the same
> problem, and it happens on various saved levels.

Do you have a joystick connected to your computer? If so, that may be
the problem. If you don't have a joystick, go into your system settings
and disable the game port. Sometimes that can cause similar problems.

OK thanks. Yes, I have a joystick connected. I'll give it a try.

JB

"Canthlian" <canthlian@sadlittlelook.com> wrote in message
> SeventhStranger wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having a problem with Thief 3.
> >
> > When I load a saved game, Garrett starts moving forward on his own when
I'm
> > not even touching the keyboard or the mouse. I have installed the 1.1
patch
> > but it hasn't resolved this particular problem. The problem is
> > intermittent, sometimes I start the game up and it's fine. I have
rebooted
> > my PC a couple of times and started the game again but still get the
same
> > problem, and it happens on various saved levels.
>
> Do you have a joystick connected to your computer? If so, that may be
> the problem. If you don't have a joystick, go into your system settings
> and disable the game port. Sometimes that can cause similar problems.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:06:40 +0100, "SeventhStranger"
<jaynebeaumont@blueyonderNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm having a problem with Thief 3.
>
>When I load a saved game, Garrett starts moving forward on his own when I'm
>not even touching the keyboard or the mouse. I have installed the 1.1 patch
>but it hasn't resolved this particular problem. The problem is
>intermittent, sometimes I start the game up and it's fine. I have rebooted
>my PC a couple of times and started the game again but still get the same
>problem, and it happens on various saved levels.
>
>I remember having the same problem with one of the Tomb Raider games a
>couple of years ago - Lara kept moving forward and often got killed by
>falling off a ledge. Wasn't that an Eidos game too? I don't ever remember
>resolving that one either.
>
>Anybody got any ideas?

It happens quite often to me when I'm playing Thief1 and 2. AFAIK,
it's a DirectInput issue. I can usually make it stop by rapidly
tapping all the various movement buttons and flail the mouse pointer
about wildly.

What's up Chuck?

To reach me, swap spammers get bent with softhome

"SeventhStranger" <jaynebeaumont@blueyonderNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message

> I remember having the same problem with one of the Tomb Raider games a
> couple of years ago - Lara kept moving forward and often got killed by
> falling off a ledge. Wasn't that an Eidos game too? I don't ever
remember
> resolving that one either.
>
> Anybody got any ideas?

Suicide wish after realising that Eidos are about to destroy what was once a
great series ;-) ?

"RichGK" <nope@nope.nope> wrote in message

> "SeventhStranger" <jaynebeaumont@blueyonderNOSPAM.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > I remember having the same problem with one of the Tomb Raider games a
> > couple of years ago - Lara kept moving forward and often got killed by
> > falling off a ledge. Wasn't that an Eidos game too? I don't ever
> remember
> > resolving that one either.
> >
> > Anybody got any ideas?
> >

> Suicide wish after realising that Eidos are about to destroy what was once
> great series ;-) ?

Oh, it's still a great series - if you meant Thief :) But somehow I think
Thief 2 still has a long life ahead, and that Thief:DS is the ending that
everyobdy wanted to see, but still just a diversion to Garrets adventures to
come :eek:)