• Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 12:40:10 PM

Hello there.

I have been around the and looking at reviews and stuff to be founding this build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
Harddrive: WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500 GB
Case: NZXT Classic Series M59

And i am obviously missing something the motherboard and RAM. I am just so confused about the whole motherboard thing, so many different motherboards :S....

I have found out that for my use the 790x chipset would be fine. And the motherboard should have AM3 socket..
A HDMI-port og what it is, could be very neat too. Overcloking capability is fine asweel. Though i have no experience what so ever..

I do not need more than 2 gigs of RAM since i am running xp. But i do not know which combination is best: 2 x 1gb or 1 x 2gb..
The most important thing is that the RAM is supported by the motherboard ^^

Cheers!

More about : budget gamer

a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 12:47:41 PM

We could do something for you if you followed the guidelines from the link in my signature. We need to know at least what the budget is and what parts you already have. We also need to know if you want to Crossfire, since that matters a lot to what board to pick...

2x1 GB is better, as dual channel needs two sticks. I would highly recommend get 2x2 GB. Here's an excellent 4 GB kit that's fairly priced: RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 $115

For a motherboard, I would recommend Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 ($125 after rebate) if you want Crossfire. If you don't, the Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 ($85 after rebate) is good.

And a comment on what you've already choosen:

That HDD is a bad choice. It's a lot slower than the cheaper Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB or Seagate 7200.12 500 GB.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 1:15:54 PM

Thanks for the quick answer :-)

Budget: 500 €
And I am pretty sure that I don't wanna Crossfire. Because the 5770 is enough for my needs. And in the future, if I need a stronger card - buying a new single-card is a lot more worth price/performance.

Why is that I need 4 GB of RAM instead of just 2 GB

And that Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3P looks pretty decent, and it supports the processor as welll. Though it is a 770 chipset. Isn't that a old one? Or...

What I have choosen?

CPU: Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3P
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W.
Harddrive:Samsung Spinpoint F3 500 GB
Case: NZXT Classic Series M59

And the RAM is yet to be determined..
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 1:24:08 PM

You may not need the 4 GB, but you definitely want it. It's a huge speed up to have the extra RAM. Even the lowest budget builds have 4 GB. It's not like you don't have the budget for it either...

The 770 is an older chipset, but it's still a good one. That board is a new version, as it has support for USB 3 and SATA III.

Everything else looks good.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 2:06:29 PM

MadAdmiral said:
You may not need the 4 GB, but you definitely want it. It's a huge speed up to have the extra RAM. Even the lowest budget builds have 4 GB. It's not like you don't have the budget for it either...

The 770 is an older chipset, but it's still a good one. That board is a new version, as it has support for USB 3 and SATA III.

Everything else looks good.

Hmm

What about the ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO. It is also a different chipset, but it supports HDMI, and looks pretty decent aswell:
http://asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=fcsXWSxnhzZE9rnR

The case that I have chosen myself has alot of fans, that could make alot of noice. So i am thinking if it is going to be a problem, and should i reconsider a new case? The fans does provide with cooling, but is it that much necessary in terms of overcloking..
a b V Motherboard
March 3, 2010 2:12:59 PM

That board is decent, but not as future proof. It doesn't have USB 3/SATA III support. Either one would be good though.

You really don't need a ton of fans for the case. In some cases, it actually makes it more complicated because the airflow isn't smooth. The actual fans can also be repalced with quieter ones if you don't mind paying for them.

If you're really worried about noise, check out the reviews on SilentPCReview.com. They specialize in review parts using both performance and noise generated as criteria.
!