SSD in production environment - yes or NO???

foler

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
hello
For some months I must buy 30 PCs for DTP studio. Because HDD is slowest point in today computing I look at SSDs. But, I can read very often about DATA CORRUPTION which is unacceptable in my case. Even backup is not solution because here wil be coruppted data again.
What I have in mind is (per pc): 120Gb SSD 520 for system and data and one 1TB for full backups 5 days in week.
I am afraid with reason or not?

thanks

Kursun

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2008

Data corruption, if there is any such thing, is a problem with mechanical disks.

The jury is still out. No-one has enough real-world experience to answer this question for the enterprise yet. Having a backup drive is the answer BUT: backup drives should be external. Otherwise, spilled coffee or a malware attack would take out your backups, too.

As long as your not trying to use consumer SSD's in a server you should be fine.

After my Vertex 2 BSOD (and wiped out all my data) I did a firmware upgrade and it never had a problem again.

I currently use the Crucial M4 - so far absolutely no issues compared to my vertex 2.

I'm pretty sure most "issues" with SSD's have been ironed out with the latest generation of SSD's.

The intel 520 would be a good choice - should be reliable.

Yep. Some SSDs have gotten the whole group some bad press. Flaky firmware and poor build quality caused many to have issues. Mechanical drives fail too, however I guess we expect that more as we can visualize the bearings wearing out or shocks damaging the head. SSDs were originally portrayed as a magical super reliable form of storage, which they (originally) did not live up to. Now the good brands seem at least as reliable as good mechanical disks.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I wouldn't recommend using consumer grade mechanical drives in an enterprise environment either. Current generation enterprise class SSDs usually use SLC as opposed to MLC. The Intel 520 you suggested is a consumer grade MLC drive, I would not recommend using that in an actual enterprise environment.

Computer parts are just like cars, pick any of the 2 below

Cheap
Fast
Reliable

wpcoe

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Is this studio with 30 computers networked with a file server?

If so, just make sure the file server has adequate redundancy (and is the default storage) and the individual computers should be pretty good on SSD, I would think, no?