I just bought a QX6700 and I'm scared that the cooler won't do the job

miggtt699

Distinguished
Hello everyone, I'm here to see if someone can help me out in this situation...
I have been running a E2160 @3.08Ghz and Prime95 maxes it at 62 ºC, And I just bought a QX6700 on ebay and It's arriving soon, and I am afraid that my current cooler won't cut it...
Yes I'm going to Overclock the QX6700 as It is a Extreme Edition processor with that unlocked multi awesomeness! And That's my problem, what if the cooler isn't good enough to run it at least 3.2ghz?
I'll leave my CPU-Z for the current processor if that helps solve the problem of TDP.
Here's my cooler:
arctic_freezer_7pro.jpg

You can give me some suggestions and some advice on overclocking this old beast, and tell me what you think about the overclock, can I go a little bit over 3.2? Well when perfectly overclocked can be as good as the first generation Core i7 9xx. I read that somewhere.

Adroid

Distinguished
I would be surprised if you noticed much performance difference - depends on what applications you are running.

Can't comment much on the cooler, I'm too lazy to google it for you.

62 C temp is fine, keep the QX6700 under 70C and you should be fine. If you can't get it stable at 3.2 ghz under 70C you might consider a new cooler.

At the same time, I have no idea why you would want to dump more moeny into a system that old.

miggtt699

Distinguished

Because, I'm broke and QX6700 when overclocked is still a very capable CPU, and plus I'm not going to play games at insane resolutions, my current monitor supports up to 1024x768. So it will be just perfect for me. I came from a T4200 and a 256mb HD3470 laptop, so even a E2160 was a BIG UPGRADE for me, so a QX6700 is good enough.

Adroid

Distinguished
Well I will say that going from a Q6600 @ 2.4 ghz to a Q6600 @ 3ghz made a very noticeable difference - at least for Crysis (at the time, that game was the new "thing"). It improved my frame rates quite a bit.

I hope it works out for you.

miggtt699

Distinguished

And what about the temperatures? Am I good with this cooler? (supports up to 130 watts)

TRENDING THREADS