Rebuild after 2 fatal crashes

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I am rebuilding my PC after a CPU+Mobo crash 3 weeks ago, then, after RMA both components it happened again after 24hrs of boot up time. I purchased replacement board and CPU to test, and now in 3rd stage of rebuild, but I am wary of putting in the same components over and over again.

on the new board (p6t) and new CPU (i7-940), my video card (Radeon 4780x2) and RAM (Patriot 1333 3x2GB) all checked out. The only change I did this time was get a new PSU (BFG 1000W). I plan on returning the P6T and i7 for money back, since both are currently being RMA'd.

So while I wait for RMA of P6T Deluxe, do any of you have suggestions to my build that might be causing these flame-outs? Any suggestions on Mobo's to purchase? Im crossing my fingers it was the PSU, but If it happens again, I might be through with the P6T Deluxe.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
The main thing that could cause such a reaction would be the PSU. The majority of the time anything else would just cause a momentary incompatibility that would go away as soon as you removed whatever didn't like your stuff for no reason.

The fact that you've had it working tells me it probably was the PSU. I'd have bought a corsair or seasonic or something instead of that which is overkill and also from a lesser company.

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
OK, I like your advice. Would the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS be adequate for:

Asus P6T Deluxe
i7 940
Thermalrite Ultra-120 eXtreme HSF
6GB Patriot RAM (3x2GB)
Radeon 4780X2
Creative Xfi audio
Samsung 24" HD display

I never had to OC CPU or RAM (but may want to) and I wont add a 3rd GPU. Would 750w be enough? Tahnks False_Dmitry for your help with this

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I have an i5 build like you my memory is rated to run at 1.65. That is a high voltage for a P55 system, but that is the voltage listed on the memory and that's the speed I run it at. I just tapped in 1.65 in my BIOS (the mobo rounded up to some value like 1.658) and somehow I ended up with 2 dead sticks of memory. OCZ was very easy to work with on the RMA process (but slow!) and I have that resolved now. Reading around online I've seen that anything under 1.70 SHOULD be ok for memory on a P55 based motherboard, but I'm really wary based on my own bad experiences. If just one stick had been bad, I'd have assumed it was damaged by my mishandling.

I have a Republic of Gamers motherboard that has color coded LEDs that vary depending upon the voltage load. My memory gets a yellow light (meaning I'm pushing the memory pretty hard in terms of voltage) even though I'm running them at their rated voltage. I'd have felt much more comfortable with a set of memory rated to run at the more normal 1.55... but oh well, it's stable now and will pass memory tests until the cows come home (and now I'm running 4 X 2 GB)

rsmith13

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
The problem may be your ac power source. Are you using a UPS? I lived in another part of town years ago and was having constant crashes. Turns out my mains provided by Tampa Electric was bad. A UPS fixed the problem.

madcircle

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
If you are referencing a Surge Protector, then yes I use one, and it says Protected and Grounded. If this is an additional unit, an Uninterruptable Poer Source, please let me know what brands/costs are associated.

Thanks guys, just waiting for mobo....

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Yeah, that corsair is plenty. It can handle more than what you've got.

A surge protector just protects from quick, well, surges and doesn't do a whole heck of alot else. Couldn't stop lightning most likely either.

A UPS (which would replace the surge protector) does alot of other stuff depending on what methods it uses. It "conditions" the electricity in general more and allows battery backup. A good one will be expensive. You may want to look at the UPS FAQ they have in the forum that deals with that stuff.

Of course, a good power supply like that corsair will do that to some extent, but no where near what you would get if you had both. And if something like bad power at your house is the problem (and it is possible) then that's really the only way to do anything about it.