samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I want to do FRAPS recording but it lags terribly because I only have a single 500GB Barracuda HDD. What's the best budget option for upgrading to reduce lag from FRAPS? Raid 0? A simple separate HDD? A SSD to put my games on and record to my HDD?

Solution
Yes, you could, but whether or not a single HDD will keep up with your frap recording will have to be seen. I've seen a few posts recently from folks who have found that it is not, and were considering two HDDs in RAID0. These days, I consider that to be a bad idea. If you need massive write speeds, write to an SSD.
I don't recommend RAID0 for anything except the fun of fiddling with it. The answer will depend on how much money you have to throw at the problem.

For high-write-rate activity, I actually suggest an SSD. If cash is tight, buy one that is just large enough for one of your longest sessions. After the session completes, copy it to the HDD.

If cash is plentiful, buy an SSD large enough for your OS installation too. Everything will start more snappily. Remember that installing a game on an SSD will make the game / levels load more quickly but have no effect on frame rates.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Could I buy a 60GB SSD, put Win 7 on it, install my game, and record to my HDD? I don't think a 60GB SSD will be enough for my recording. I usually do 20+ minutes which is about 60 gigs.

Yes, you could, but whether or not a single HDD will keep up with your frap recording will have to be seen. I've seen a few posts recently from folks who have found that it is not, and were considering two HDDs in RAID0. These days, I consider that to be a bad idea. If you need massive write speeds, write to an SSD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS