Should I overclock my msi Gtx 660 ti?Warranty?Please Help, I love you!

catchme247

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hey everyone, I have a Msi Gtx 660 ti OC version. Should I overclock this card? I heard this card has burnt out on people when they tried to overclock it? And if anything goes wrong will Msi cover the card?(I am obviously not gonna say I tried overclocking it :non: . And according to this website http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/03/msi_gtx_660_ti_power_edition_oc_video_card_review/3
I can overclock my card to that state (most stable according to them). Should I go for it? Anyone with experience? Please I am new to this kinda stuff. Any kind of help would be appreiciated but I beg you please dont leave answers like "Every chip is different, you have try it out for yourself" , If you want to risk it, go for it" etcc (I mean the obvious ones

Solution
You could, I mean I have not tested this stuff specifically, and I do try and keep an eye out for future articles that debunk previous findings, but I did not see anything in this case. I am just basing my opinion off the findings of that article, the card could last as long as it should or it could blow up tomorrow is the way I interpret it, you could at least contact them with your concerns (and the information ready, it will be better to have some sort of reputable evidence to back up your concerns) and see if they can do anything for you, possibly exchanging the card for a newly manufactured model or something.

You can overclock that card without problems.

1) Could you share the post where the model burnt out for overclock?
2) With MSI Afterburner is almost impossible that you burnt out the GPU for over voltage, that software is designed for be "safe" on overclock and limit the user to avoid those problems.
3) Your card will overclock totally different, even, if are the same model and you have the same components of that review. All components are different and overclock in a different level.

A last thing, MSI and in general any manufacturer can't know that you burnt out your GPU by overclocking at least that you go to the extreme part...using LN2 and doing volt modifications to the PCB....in stock, is almost impossible.

I agree, and everybody says there's nothing wrong with what they did, some think its a GOOD thing. In the meantime these cards have very little voltage regulation because they bypassed Nvidia's PWM. This makes OCing on the PE cards difficult and very unstable as well as very likely to blow up in your face at the slightest V change... Anyway...

catchme247

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

This makes me really unhappy. I got that card like right after a month it was out. Does that mean I am one of their victims?
So, I am guessing I should not overclock this card?

chugot9218

Honorable
I'd probably avoid it unless you can confirm your model is specifically not affected, there may be some serial number on there that is relevant to that but I am not necessarily sure that they would provide a listing of affected serial numbers, as they claim it is actually a good thing, while many experts seem to disagree. Probably too late to return it as well :/, fortunately the GTX 670 is pretty powerful at stock so I wouldn't worry to much (and that card is factory OC'd a bit for better or worse, my Gigabyte GTX 670 is factory OC'd to a little over 1 ghz and I can max out most if not all games at 1080p).

catchme247

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Its the one with "triple over voltage" feature:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/09/03/msi_gtx_660_ti_power_edition_oc_video_card_review/3

In that link they have tested out overclocking that card and they have reached what they call a "max stable overclock". I am pretty sure they have the same card as I do. I actually even overclocked this card a while back and followed everything on that link. Nothing went wrong. But i wasnt getting any frame increases then I realized that I had a cpu bottlenecking. I bought 3570k now:)
I am still under warranty, Do you think I should try it out? If anything goes wrong will Msi give me another card or perhaps fix this one?(I wouldnt tell them I tried OCing the card.

chugot9218

Honorable
You could, I mean I have not tested this stuff specifically, and I do try and keep an eye out for future articles that debunk previous findings, but I did not see anything in this case. I am just basing my opinion off the findings of that article, the card could last as long as it should or it could blow up tomorrow is the way I interpret it, you could at least contact them with your concerns (and the information ready, it will be better to have some sort of reputable evidence to back up your concerns) and see if they can do anything for you, possibly exchanging the card for a newly manufactured model or something.

Solution

catchme247

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Thanks bud 'D