Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Samsung 830 as boot drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
March 18, 2012 8:53:12 PM

Hy guys,

would Samsung 830 128G work as boot drive for Win7 with my trusted Asus Maximus Formula or would I need to upgrade to a newer motherboard to make it worthwhile ?

This is my current setup:


Operating System
MS Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 55 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 391MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. Maximus Formula (LGA775) 42 °C
Graphics
HP LP2475w (1920x1200@60Hz)
HP LP2475w (1200x1920@60Hz)
512MB GeForce 8800 GTS 512 (BFG Tech) 73 °C
Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 (PATA) 40 °C
733GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD753LJ (SATA) 38 °C
977GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD103SJ (SATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203P
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

More about : samsung 830 boot drive

March 18, 2012 11:43:58 PM

If the motherboard have a SATA III(6Gb/s) it is better to put it there for a better performance than SATA II(3Gb/s). Yes for a boot drive(Win 7) and the rest(data, files) on the HDD. I'm using the same SSD Samsung 830 Series 128 GB SATA III. My PC is very responsive now than before. Windows 7 boot time from 1 min. and now to 12 sec., and when I open a file or software it's blazing fast. I can say its worth buying it.
a b Ô Samsung
a c 317 G Storage
March 18, 2012 11:45:48 PM

Yes, it would make an excellent boot drive, although it will not achieve its full potential on a SATA2 ports, the difference is really a benchmark type issue and not really anything that you will notice in daily use.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 12:38:41 AM

aqe040466 said:
If the motherboard have a SATA III(6Gb/s) it is better to put it there for a better performance than SATA II(3Gb/s). Yes for a boot drive(Win 7) and the rest(data, files) on the HDD. I'm using the same SSD Samsung 830 Series 128 GB SATA III. My PC is very responsive now than before. Windows 7 boot time from 1 min. and now to 12 sec., and when I open a file or software it's blazing fast. I can say its worth buying it.


That sounds great to me, thanks for your response. Wished I had a SATA III but that will simply have to wait.

Will report when it is all done with new Win7 installed.

Cheers for advice.

Woldbur
March 19, 2012 12:40:23 AM

RealBeast said:
Yes, it would make an excellent boot drive, although it will not achieve its full potential on a SATA2 ports, the difference is really a benchmark type issue and not really anything that you will notice in daily use.


Thanks for your advice, too. I am not too bothered about benchmarks, just want a snappier system.

Wolbur

March 19, 2012 12:45:54 AM

I have a Samsung 830 256GB and it performs flawlessly as a boot drive. Load Samsung's magic tools, it'll do cleanup and benchmarks to keep track of your drives performance.
March 19, 2012 1:42:46 AM

Benchmarks Mean Little Its Realworld Performance That Matters
March 19, 2012 2:00:16 AM

hella-d said:
Benchmarks Mean Little Its Realworld Performance That Matters


Reread it. The software does it's own benching to track performance so you know if it's degrading and when you need to clean it up. I'ts not for e-peen usage.
March 19, 2012 2:48:10 AM

woldbur said:
That sounds great to me, thanks for your response. Wished I had a SATA III but that will simply have to wait.

Will report when it is all done with new Win7 installed.

Cheers for advice.

Woldbur



Before I choose Samsung SSD I read a lot revies of so many different SDD brand and I ended up buying Samsung on its reliability and performance, and Samsung make their own SSD controller, unlike other SSD makers, they used controllers from Sandforce where I read about bad reviews about it.
!