New Gaming PC - Long Term

Hello I'm looking to build another gaming PC I made mine about 2-3 years ago and it still holds up well but I'm guessing now would be the time to upgrade.

I'm looking to spend around 2500-3000 obviously cheaper is always better thought.

The few questions I have are:

Should I wait for the Fermi? Get the 5970? or a lower model. I think the graphics card is one of the most important (and most expensive) parts of the computer and I do hate spending tons of money but I usually dish it out for the long term performance. I'm still running a 8800 GTX right now in my computer and its still doing well. I like to use just one card if possible as I always hear about issues when using two graphics cards. So this is one of my biggest question on what one to get for the money or if I should wait.

Harddrive: I'd like SSD but not sure if the technology is mature enough to waste time on it. Should I get raptor drivers or normal? I know it only effects load times but there is a different in loading games up and loading graphics and texture but wont improve frame rate.

Case: I really like the look of the Element V Gaming Full Tower case. Are the fans in this ample enough for cooling a strong computer would I need to buy more?

CPU: I'm looking at the I7 for sure just not sure what version would be the best to get the top ones get more expensive and I'm not sure the extra power is worth the extra cost.

RAM:I have 8 gigs in my box right now that I wont be using. since most of the new boards seem to do it with 3 slots now instead of 4 I was thinking about getting 12 gigs worth of the 1800 kind I'm guessing would be good?

USB 3.0 is this worth getting at this time? What benefits does it bring I've seen this on the motherboards and was thinking about getting this as well. Would also like good sound on the board as I don't want to buy a sound card.

The last time I bought a computer PCI Express 2.0 came out right after and I do not have it in my current one. Is there any technology that is new coming out soon that I should hold off building a new computer for?

Other then that I'd like a powerful rig that will last a few years before I need to upgrade again.

I usually just buy from CyberPower since I don't have to waste the time connecting everything to see if I messed something up and they do have a warranty for parts. Not sure if I should since the cost now days for getting your own parts seems to be about the same as having someone else do it. Plus I hate putting them together haha.

Sorry for the long post but hope I get some insightful responses I read other post and seem some good ones. Thanks for your time.
14 answers Last reply
More about gaming long term
  1. CPU: i7-930 $299
    Mobo: Asus P6X58D Premium $310
    HSF (only if overclocking): Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B $65. Add two 120mm fans to that, so add about $20.
    RAM: Mushkin Enahnced Redline 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 6 $230 after rebate
    GPU: HD 5970 $700
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB $90
    SSD: 128 GB $375
    Case: HAF 922 $100
    PSU: OCZ Z Series 850W 80+ Gold $200
    Optical: Cheap SATA DVD burner $24

Total: $2,413. Room enough for an OS, monitor and other stuff if needed.

And some comments on what you said above.

GPU: If you don't need the PC right away, wait and see the reviews for Fermi. I bet the cards aren't as good as the ATI ones and they'll be more expensive.

SSD: You have the budget for it now...

HDD: Raptors are the worst choice in PCs right now. The much, much cheaper 500 GB platter drives (Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 7200.12) are faster.

RAM: you don't need more than 4 GB in a gaming build. The 6 GB is the lowest you'd go with a triple channel board.

USB 3: I think it is. It's literally only $30 more to get it onboard.

Tech changes: Not really. Fermi, USB 3/SATA III and 6 core CPUs are the big changes that are coming or are new. 6 cores won't help in gaming though.
  2. For that much money I would wait for Fermi to come out this month.

Worst thing that will happen is the ATI card prices should at least drop a bit.

This is a gaming PC 12 gigs is kinda stupid you will not need that much for gaming. 4 gigs is enough.

Stick with the i7-920 or i7-930 for your processor.

HDD: As far as SSD's go I still feel they are overpriced but with your budget it would be silly not to get one. Just make sure you get one big enough to leave 20% or more of it empty because performance drops as you get closer to filling the drive. For Standard Storage drives stick with Seagate 7200.12 or Samsung F3 Spinpoints. They are using the 500GB plattters which will provide better performance. They perform better then the raptors.

You wont need a sound card onboard sound is good enough....

U3S6 I would say is well worth it. Granted there is not much out right now that utilizes it but since you can fit it in the budget it would be stupid (IMO) not to get it.

Lastly you will get a better system if you build yourself because you can guarantee that you are only putting quality parts in it.
  3. Thanks for the answers guys! A few follow up questions

What do you think about using this case? I dont know why but I love the look of it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133092

You think 6 gigs will be enough for running games in the future then too I'm fine with that I just always figured more was better and RAM is never too expensive. Is the 1600 speed alright or should I upgrade it to the 1800.

Finally with the SSD I'm guessing I should only use this for the OS but what about putting games on this to that are used frequently such as an MMORPG or a FPS. Would thinks be suitable for that as well?

Also do you think BluRay is worth it not sure if Games will be put in this format in the future (be the only reason I would get it)

Thanks
  4. I'm not a fan of it. First, it's expensive. Second, it's very small for a "full" tower (the HAF 922 is bigger). Third, it's traded useful features (dust filters, cable management systems, etc.) for the "look at the shiny, oooo" factor (color shifting lights).

1600 mhz sticks are the right speed. You will never need 1800 mhz ones.

Yes, you only want to put the OS and frequently used programs on the SSD.

I'm not a fan of BR. I think it's pointless unless you watch a TON of BR movies, have you PC hooked up to the TV all the time, and DON'T have a separate BR player. So it's always pointless...
  5. You're right on the Case and make a good point after looking more into the case you suggested I can see why you picked it and at that price it seems good. I think I may buy this sooner then later. Any other suggestions I'll probably pick up the OEM version of Windows 7 64-bit and already have a good monitor.

I'm not a fan of overclocking (always paranoid something will burn out) so the extra fans and CPU cooling that you suggested I should not bother getting? If I dont over clock should I get any other fans or CPU coolers then? Not sure how good the stock is. I do like my computer to run cool as it runs on carpet and I get paranoid something will overheat. (its never happened)
  6. Stock coolers are fine if you will not ever over clock.
  7. One last question and thank you for your guys time. It looks like NewEgg is out of stock on the 5970 any other reliable sites other then new egg that might have this for the same price? Not sure I want to buy from some random on-line website.
  8. I tend to stick with the Egg. Looks like they will be back in stock on the 8th of this month.
  9. It's going to be sold out pretty much every where, which is probably the real benefit of waiting until Fermi is out, as some of the demand won't be there.

You can check TigerDirect or ZipZoomFly. Both of these are reputable.
  10. Thanks it looks like ZipZoom has them but for 100 dollars more I take it your recommend the Sapphire over the other ones since that is what you linked. Also do I need anything special for this case to use the SSD that you linked?

Thanks
  11. I recommend Sapphire because it was the cheapest on Newegg.

You'll probably need a 3.5" to 2.5" bay converter or bracket. They're usually $10-20 on Newegg.
  12. So the ASUS same card for the same price (thats in stock) would have no difference?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121357&cm_re=5970_radeon-_-14-121-357-_-Product

Also this bay converter is simply just somewhere to place the SSD nothing else is needed or is it special connectors and more configuration?
  13. There isn't much difference betwee brands of GPUs.

And yes, the bay converter is all you need.
  14. And it's out of stock again.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Gaming Systems Product