Sign in with
Your question

Help! HD 5670 + AsusA8N-VM CSM M/B. System won't boot.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2010 2:07:22 PM

Hello,
I am on my second HD 5670 now and I can't make it work. The system won't POST at all. Tried VGA, DVI and HDMI connections, nothing works. The fan on the card spins, same with the CPU and case fans, but nothing shows on the screen and the system doesn't boot (no hard drive activity, which means it's not merely a cable connection error, the system just halts).
The card is a Sapphire HD5670 512MB. I used to have (still have) a HD 2600 XT 256MB card which works fine, same with the onboard VGA. When I plug the new card in, nothing happens.
I also tried disconnecting the DVD Drives just in case it's a matter of not enough power from the PSU. Which shouldn't be the case because the HD5670 should draw roughly the same power as the HD2600, which used to run happily with my old Asus 360Watt PSU, so the 5670 should at the very least POST with my current PSU (Seasonic SS-430HB).
Any ideas?
March 28, 2010 8:02:57 PM

Hi,

This is not funny I have just done the same thing bought myself a Sapphire 5670 with 1GB mem and I have just the same motherboard as you the ASUS A8N-VM CSM. Guess what? it won't pass POST with the Radeon inserted. I don't know if I should cry but teh next thing is to try connecting it to another M/B.

I'll let you know if it works...
March 29, 2010 2:31:50 AM

Have you upgraded to the latest BIOS for the motherboard?
Related resources
March 29, 2010 6:27:32 AM

Yes I have and I have tried every motherboard setting that there is to configure on this motherboard. This is an nvidia card(chipset) with onboard graphics but it should still be able to handle this at least I think so. Inserting an older Nvidia 6600GT card works as it should. The only thing I wonder now if this is a M/B fault or a Graphics card fault.
March 29, 2010 7:31:13 AM

Ok, I tried my same card on a different motherboard it's an Abit AG8 and the card works perfect.
I guess my conclution then is from what I have found now and on several other forums as well is that ASUS older motherboards, most likely based on nvidia chipsets, have some compatibility issues with never AMD Radeon 5xxx cards.
Does anyone have anymore input to this for example details around the issue or if someone actually have an asus M/B with nvidia chipset and it's working with the never Radeon cards.

Keep on testing.
April 10, 2010 3:23:32 PM

MrRainman said:
Ok, I tried my same card on a different motherboard it's an Abit AG8 and the card works perfect.
I guess my conclution then is from what I have found now and on several other forums as well is that ASUS older motherboards, most likely based on nvidia chipsets, have some compatibility issues with never AMD Radeon 5xxx cards.
Does anyone have anymore input to this for example details around the issue or if someone actually have an asus M/B with nvidia chipset and it's working with the never Radeon cards.

Keep on testing.

I am also that case. Got ASUS P5N-MX and Saphire ATI Radeon HD 5670. Long delay by booting I have solved by updating the BIOS (v0802), but still there is a message "... your last boot fail or POST interrupted bla bla bla press F1 to go on ..." and moreover I am not able to ovecklock my processor :(  So I am thinkin hardly bout to change MB ... w/o any VGA on board and even nVidia chipset. thats my contribution to this issue
!