Alphabetical listing on Desktop

tmdcedar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
How can I force all files/listings to alphabetical order without putting them in certain groups on my pop up desktop menu ? I know they will be put in alphabetical order when a new one is added or when I re start my computer but it puts them in 2 groups from a to z and I want them ALL to be one listing from a to z? Anybody confused? I have windows XP Home.

tmdcedar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Thank you but I am aware of that sort by name feature. My problem is not in the Start Menu its in the Desktop Menu which pops up on the right side of the window down near the clock in the task tray area. When I send a new item to the Desktop it appears out of order at the bottom of the list. I used to then click on the item and drag it upwards to the proper alphabetical order but when the computer re-starts for any reason it knocks the order out. I noticed that My Computer and other items are shown first at the top of the menu and then another section in alphabetical order and then a third section for all other items in alphabetical order. Therefore it appears as 3 sections all in order within their section but I want ALL items listed from top to bottom in alphabetical order. Don't know if this can be done. (I also use the sort by name feature to alphabetize items but it only works within one of the sections I mentioned.)

tmdcedar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012

Unfortunately this does not work for the Desktop popup menu on the right side of the desktop monitor. It only works for the icons in the system tray at the bottom left to right near the clock. The Desktop menu reverts back to 3 sections all alphabetized within themselves but not all of them combined into one alphabetized list. Thank you for your help. Anything else I can try I would appreiciate knowing.