Sign in with
Your question

Need psu 850-1000w

Last response: in Components
May 10, 2010 7:32:53 PM

Hello. I find myself in need of a bigger power supply than what I currently have. It needs to still have the intake fan to suck in air from the cpu, and it has to be relatively cheap.
I've been looking at some units from coolermaster and corsair. Normally I just default to vx450 for normal computers and hx520 when I build gaming systems ... but for myself I need something bigger. Dun have any good experience with the bigger units.

Any reasonable suggestions? remember pricing is important. Still recovering from car repairs and dentist bills.

Edit: And more importantly than anything else - it has to be modular. I'm using a custom case I built, and I do not have room for a ton of spare cables. I only need two molex, two sata, 2 pcie6 and 2 pcie8 connectors after all.

More about : psu 850 1000w

a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 9:11:22 PM

System specs?

You don't get "cheap" PSUs if you need a lot of power.

Corsair HX850 will run pretty much anything short of Fermi SLI
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2010 9:13:24 PM

Could also look at the Seasonic 80+ Gold PSUs too, but I don't know how high they go power-wise.
Related resources
May 11, 2010 6:32:03 AM

LePhuronn said:
System specs?

You don't get "cheap" PSUs if you need a lot of power.

Corsair HX850 will run pretty much anything short of Fermi SLI

Gaming/work pc:
Custom desktop case. 3x 120mm Arctic Fan 12 PWM intake fans, no lighting other than the motherboards voltage and heat leds
i7-920 @ 12-21x115 (1380-2415mhz) normal and 12-21x181 (2172-3801mhz) when gaming
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F10
Sapphire HD4870 512MB & Club 3D HD4870X2 2GB
6GB Corsair XMS31600C7 @ ddr3-920 5-5-5-13 normal and ddr3-1448 7-7-7-20 when gaming
TR120Extreme & 2x Arctic Fan 120 blowing directly out the back of the case (open hole)
2TB hitachi 7200rpm system & 2TB WD green storage
Corsair HX620 & Antec Earthwatts 380 PSUs
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I have an idea of adding an amplifier card internally and scrap my old surround system, so I might need 100-150W more than the specs otherwise suggest.

Power calc sais 843W recommended. So I'll probably have to go for 1k rather than 850w. I've looked at the 850w coolermaster unit, but it might not be enough.

Which brands have good power supplies other than seasonic? (don't say ocz or I'll kill you)
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 9:05:43 AM

Seasonic and Corsair are the only brands I look at for PSUs.

I'm sure that every PSU calculator is different but using Extreme Power Supply Calculator Lite I get a 600W recommendation for your system at 100% load overclocked.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

As a result the Corsair HX850 would be spot-on for you. I'm not sure what you mean by internal amplifier though - you got an example?
May 11, 2010 9:15:18 AM

I've got the pro version, and it sais differently.
Here's the calculation I did a while ago : http://www.opel.cc/i7.pdf

I can get just over 600W without overclocking.
But since my psu started making wierd noises after stressing the system, clearly I'm using more than 600W. And in fact my wattage meter told me I was using over 700W (from the plug) at some point under 'normal use' so 600W really isn't realistic.

Anyway, I'll hope for someone else to drop by with recommendations. I like corsair, but I'm not sure they're the right choice in the high power marked.

As for the amp, no I can't give any examples right now. Haven't had time to google the unit I want, but once I read a review or something about htpcs or whatever, and there were pci or pcie amplifiers which delivered about 60-100w per channel directly to speakers. It's been a while, so I don't recall the actual review, but I would like such card.
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 9:50:11 AM

Ah, I see you've added 25% capacitor ageing to your calculation which is what's put your numbers up.

Any particular reason why you're not feeling the Corsairs? They're the top recommended on here for top-end systems, but yes you only have my opinion so far.
May 11, 2010 10:08:52 AM

I simply don't regard corsair as a top quality brand. They're good, but I'm not convinced they're that good.
I use corsair exclusively in every system I'm building for other people, but I've yet to ever use a bigger unit than my hx620. And appearently there's no sort of overload protection on those units, and judging from my only unit that I ever stressed, they're not built for more capacity than they're rated for. At least not on my unit (which is just under 3 years old).

Anyway, since I've only had one corsair unit failing, I'm not going to claim this is a general thing. I'm just not confident in them. Also the annoying noise comming from them when the computer does playback of certain video sequences is annoying. And I've experienced that noise on every single system where I've tested. Anywhere from the cheapest vx to my 620 unit.
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 10:55:35 AM

Interesting. I've had completely the opposite experiences. Such is the nature of consumerism I guess.
May 11, 2010 11:24:39 AM

so you haven't experienced the noise issues ? how many corsair units have you tried?
It's specificly intro videos on many EA games that cause this noise. I can't recall a specific title at the moment though, and since my unit is broken I'm in no position to test it right now.
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 12:23:48 PM

Nope - nothing.

Got a CX400 running a Phenom II X2 955 for some light gaming (Radeon 5770), VX450 running a i7 920 video edit suite OC to 3.6GHz, HX650 in a 5850 gaming rig and a HX850 in a Crossfire 5870 rig.

These are systems I've built, and in the office we have VX550s running our Core 2 Quad edit suites.
May 11, 2010 12:32:28 PM

well unless you've seen the gaming rig in use, I suppose there's very little chance you'd even notice the noise.
It isn't present under other usage profiles as far as I know.
May 25, 2010 9:45:31 AM

obsidian86 said:
you having the case custom made right ? well have i got a deal for you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

they are semi modular they are specially made for antec full towers as you can see they are larger then normal atx spec power supplies but since you having the case made the fit shouldn be a problem

Since my case is custom it was a problem.
I built the case for my opteron 170 system in 2006. Back then I had a standard size psu.
The coolermaster psu I settled for only just has enough room. Think if I'd taken the antec I couldn't have closed the lid or connected the dvd drive.
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 10:56:50 AM
May 25, 2010 11:07:21 AM

Yes well thanks, but as I mentioned, I'd already settled for the coolermaster unit.
It isn't living up to my high standards, but then my apprentice is claiming I've got unreasonable standards.
a b ) Power supply
May 25, 2010 11:15:17 AM

neiroatopelcc said:
Yes well thanks, but as I mentioned, I'd already settled for the coolermaster unit.
It isn't living up to my high standards, but then my apprentice is claiming I've got unreasonable standards.

Which one, the Real Power Pro or the Silent Pro?
May 25, 2010 11:53:08 AM

Silent pro .... but the silent part's a joke!

The fan's making some sort of ticking noise that is clearly audible even at range.
The other day I was standing in my hallway with the doors to my hobby room and the livingroom open. Approx 3 meters away was my server in the hobbyroom - I couldn't hear it. But I could hear the silent pro ticking away at the other end of my livingroom. I'm not sure how far away that is, but definetly futher than the server.

It does deliver power nicely though, and doesn't seem to run hot even under load. At least not in contrast to the 4870x2 which I measured at 54.3C on the outside of the top most cooling pins.
!