Can't decide between these two. PLEASE HELP!

akondray

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
So I'm a nub and can't figure out which one's better. I'm going to be using this in my new AMD gaming build.. I'm planning on crossfiring 6870s with it.

option 1:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131646
ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

price: $119.99

option 2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131636&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=3463938&SID=
ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

price :139.99

I just can't figure out why option 1 would be $20 cheaper and yet have usb 3.0 support when the 139.99 one doesnt

I don't know why the second option is cheaper but definitely go with the first one.
Because first of all you want to use 2 6870s on it and the second motherboard supports SLI not CF.
Second,(even if you wanted to use a single card)Nvidia chipsets aren't quite good as ATI chipsets for AMD CPUs.

Really.!! I personnely have never heard or experienced any of that.. Have always found Gigabyte products (motherboards) to be of top notch quality bested only by Asus IMO.. My only grudge with Gigabyte motherboards is the pretty boring color scheme they employ.. But anyway, if you are not that sure then no reason for you to opt for them.. There are other motherboard manufactures with equally good products.. Asrock 890GX Extreme3 is an excellent option to consider.. Its also cheaper (price wise) compared to the Gigabyte motherboard..

Actually no,if it had a PCI-E slot then yes you were right, but things are different with PCI-E 2.0
You won't see much of a performance hit in x16x4 mode (compared to dual x8) with PCI-E 2.0 cards.

I'd go with the Gigabyte board listed above. I don't know where you heard they were not good boards but they are very dependable and run cooler running than all other boards IMO. And I wouldn't xfire a board with a 4x slot for my second card.