Can i raid 2 different SSD?

dieselsilvia

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
Hey all!
Just curious, i have two different SSD's that i would like to mirror or stripe for an OS drive. They have the same capacity and are the same "generation" but im not sure. One of the drives is from micro center so im not too.. sure about the specs or more detailed info.

SSD 1 the "micro center" brand
64GB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 2.5" G2 Series Solid State Drive (SSD) With SandForce 1222 Controller
Features SandForce SF-1222 Controller; Static wear-leveling technology; TRIM command support; RAID support; 4K write (Aligned): 50,000 IOPS
Color Black
Form Factor 2.5"
Interface SATA 3.0Gb/s
Architecture Multi Level Cell
Capacity 64GB
Controller SandForce SF-1222 processor
Read Speed Up to 280MBps
Write Speed Up to 270MBps

and the other

Kingston SSDNow V100 64 GB SATA II 3 GB/s 2.5 inch Solid-State Drive SV100S2/64GZ

and my mb is

ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Solution
Yes you can. No, you should not. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/kigston-hyperx-ssd-raid0_7.html#sect0
If you need the extra size (RAID0), you are much better off installing specific programs to the non-boot SSD as the D drive.
If you want the extra protection of RAID1, back-up your system drive regularly. Test that you can boot from a restore of the backup. Keep your data on the HDD so that restoring the OS backup will not lose your data.

RAID1 is not a substitute for backups.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I would not do this except for possible a RAID 1 for redundacy and only if the controller supports TRIM passthrough. Even then, you're better off just imaging the drive to a traditional HDD for backup. A RAID 0 of 2 different SSDs could theretically end up being slower than the faster of two, especially if your RAID controller does not support TRIM passthrough. This will also drasitcaly increase the likelyhood of dataloss.

Yes you can. No, you should not. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/kigston-hyperx-ssd-raid0_7.html#sect0
If you need the extra size (RAID0), you are much better off installing specific programs to the non-boot SSD as the D drive.
If you want the extra protection of RAID1, back-up your system drive regularly. Test that you can boot from a restore of the backup. Keep your data on the HDD so that restoring the OS backup will not lose your data.

RAID1 is not a substitute for backups.

Solution

dieselsilvia

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
ok ok no raid got it!! Ill use one 64gb ssd to boot off of and i just bought a new 256gb samsung to fill with programs and whatnot. So how during my pc build, how would i go about installing the drives as such? Do i just plug and assign drives? Or should i load the os onto the boot drive and after plug in the next drive and let it be discovered then assign..?
Sad part is my 64gb is 1st gen (micro center) ssd and the new one is... well a samsung 830 series ><.