Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Looking for a quality motherboard for a low budget

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2010 8:25:59 PM

Hi all, I am trying to figure out a decent, affordable homebuilt computer. This is my first home built, so I'm still learning a few things.

Here's what I intend to use on it:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban

- SAPPHIRE 100289L Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (x2)

- Thermaltake Element G VL10001W2Z Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

- OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V

- Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive

- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (x2)

- Corsair Nova CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive

- Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2TB 5900 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

- LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner - Bulk SATA WH10LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

I would like a fairly customizable and expandable motherboard that supports all these components. The other thing is that I will probably use some components from my HP Pavilion Elite e9240f while I save for more components. For instance, I plan to buy the case, power supply, and memory first. That means I'll use my current CPU, HDD, graphics card, and disc drives at first. The specs for those are here: http://goo.gl/ZHBs.
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 8:58:30 PM

Few pointers on your build first -

1. Your hard drive choices are quite confusing.. Why do you need to low capacity SSD's.? That too, getting a 32GB SSD is complete waste of money IMO.. My advice is to get a single large quantity SSD (something like the OCZ Vertex2 120GB or Crucial RealSSD 128GB).. Further, Kingston SSD's are not that great..

2. No point opting for the Baracuda LP.. There is significant performance loss at not so significant power saving.. Opt for a regular 7200 RPM drive instead..

Now, how much is your budget for the motherboard.?
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:17:23 PM

Emperus said:
Few pointers on your build first -

1. Your hard drive choices are quite confusing.. Why do you need to low capacity SSD's.? That too, getting a 32GB SSD is complete waste of money IMO.. My advice is to get a single large quantity SSD (something like the OCZ Vertex2 120GB or Crucial RealSSD 128GB).. Further, Kingston SSD's are not that great..

2. No point opting for the Baracuda LP.. There is significant performance loss at not so significant power saving.. Opt for a regular 7200 RPM drive instead..

Now, how much is your budget for the motherboard.?

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure about the ssd's and they were for later on anyways. I was thinking about a larger ssd, but I want two eventually to put a different OS on each. I don't like partitioning, as I think I light have screwed up a hard drive doing so. The HDD is also just a place holder for now, so I'll definitely look at a better one.

For the motherboard, is prefer $200 or less, but could be a little more if its worth it. Is also like USB 3.0 and eSATA support if possible.

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 9:27:07 PM

You've a pretty good budget to get the best AM3 motherboard available.. However, i guess you are not a gamer and are not too keen on overclocking.. In that case, your budget turns out to be an overkill actually.. A decent entry level board such as the MSI 870A-C54 should be enough for you.. If however, your needs/purpose are different as compared to my guess then please state them.. Only then we can figure out the perfect board for you..
m
l
October 23, 2010 10:44:33 PM

I'm not a huge pc gamer, mostly because my current setup isn't good enough for high quality gaming. This system will be used for lots of different things and I like to max my computers out. I know the graphics cards aren't high end, but I plan to upgrade them eventually. Like I said before, I want to build this system over time, transitions parts from my old computer. I like messing with settings and want to learn to overclock when I do play games, especially fallout. Also, I'd like to have a really good motherboard, so I can grow into it and not have to upgrade it anytime soon. So any high quality motherboard you'd recommend would be perfect.
m
l
a c 147 V Motherboard
October 23, 2010 11:05:05 PM

If you're looking for "budget" without skimping on features, check out ASRock. They use all-solid caps, ferrite chokes, and other components found on high-end boards, but generally undercut them all on price. Biostar has some budget boards too, but theirs often use lower-quality parts.
m
l
October 23, 2010 11:09:09 PM

Onus said:
If you're looking for "budget" without skimping on features, check out ASRock. They use all-solid caps, ferrite chokes, and other components found on high-end boards, but generally undercut them all on price. Biostar has some budget boards too, but theirs often use lower-quality parts.

Alright, I'll start looking into those.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2010 1:16:17 AM

That's quite expensive, you get that kind of board only you are a gamer that uses more than one more powerful video card. What do you want to do on the PC?
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:32:58 AM

As Emerus said, the HDD set-up you had would of been pointless. Just get two Samsung Spinpoint F3's and put them in raid 0. Same speed as a SSD. As for the mobo, that budget is about right for anything really. This is the mobo is decent : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT:

Looked at Emerus' post and we both put the same mobo, what a coincidence.... So I guess you really know what to get. ;) 
m
l

Best solution

October 24, 2010 6:15:45 PM

Ditto the advice of Emperus and PrAmok above.

That makes THREE (my lucky number!)

But jtt283 makes a good point too about ASRock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

MRFS (aka another ASUS fanboy)
October 31, 2010 12:00:03 AM

Best answer selected by superlinkx.
m
l
!