Sign in with
Your question

4g ddr3 2000 vs 6g ddr3 1600?

Last response: in Memory
October 23, 2010 8:27:37 PM

So I'm really kind of lost as far as ram goes for my new AMD based gaming rig. I plan on using this for mostly gaming but also photoshop occasionally. If you have a recommendation other then the ones I listed PLEASE let me know :bounce: 

GeIL Evo Two 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Once again if you have a completely different recommendation let me know :D 

More about : ddr3 2000 ddr3 1600

a b } Memory
October 23, 2010 8:48:12 PM

Corsair Dominator 8GB (2 x 4GB) CAS 9 DDR3 1600 MHz available on newegg (sorry, could not post the link) for $200 will be best suited for your purpose.. You should opt for DDR3 1333 MHz if you do not have any overclocking plans.. Getting high speed memory is not going to increase any real life performance..
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:27:14 PM

I was reading online that unless I'm doing heavy video processing or perhaps running a game server, that 8g would be more then I would actually ever need. I'm also using a phenom ii 965 so would that even make use of the extra ram while I'm playing games?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b } Memory
October 23, 2010 10:10:11 PM

My suggestion for going 8GB was after seeing photoshop and a 6GB RAM config listed in your query.. But your research is right.. 8GB is pretty heavy amount of memory unless one is using his/her system for heavy duty work.. 4GB should be enough for everyday and gaming usage.. Having said that, my recommendation for a 4GB set will be -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...(Desktop+Memory)-_-Corsair+(XMS+Series)-_-20145249
m
l
a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 1:20:03 AM

Currently I'm running 4gb of 2000 speed ram...I do have 8gb, but pulled 4gb out because my memory controller on the motherboard can't handle 8gb at 1600 speeds with good timings. The 4gb is much faster in synthetics and feels faster. In games...3 - 4gb is the optimal. I saw no benefit in fps in games with 8gb of 1600
m
l
a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 4:02:49 AM

OP...the two types of ram you list are for different boards. Like mal said...if you are going to run 6gb you have to run 2x2gb and 2x1gb. But I disagree with mal that 6gb is the beet configuration. Every single motherboard performs better with half of the ram slots occupied. In dual channel. Once all the slots are occupied you will have to slow the ram down or relax timing. Make sure you put the ram in matching color slots. It will be in 1st & 3rd slots or 2nd & 4th slots.
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:15:33 AM

The Mobo says it will hold 16 g max and has 4 slots. So I guess I'll go for 8 then in a 2x4g combination. Can any of you recommend some ram because I'm lost with all the options.
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:26:19 AM

6 gb is more than enough in my opinion, there is no need to have 8gb sitting there when it will never be utilized. Say you were to be rendering a lot and multi-tasking a lot, i would say go for it. Just leave the 8gb stuff to Dell...

So, if I were you I would get the 6gb with the lower speed, just make sure you have lower timings, that is where it all really comes down to really.

Also make sure your mobo supports dual channel before buying dual if thats the way you go.
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:31:21 AM

It does support dual channel. What does it mean if it uses dual channel and I have 3 sticks? Obviously 2 will be utilized properly but will that third stick not reach its full performance due to the mobo being dual channel?
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:40:17 AM

Opps, sorry im tired not remembering all AM3 boards are in dual channel.

To your question, putting Tripple Channel on Dual channel will not work properly, if it was the opposite, the voltages would just change.

You could just put Three sticks of dual channel but might aswell get 8gb at that point.... Contradicts what i said earlier but its because of the dual channel.

Could get two sets of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 6:49:22 AM

I really don't understand the analogy behind using 6GB RAM on a 3 x 2GB config over using 8GB in a 2 x 4GB config.. The latter gives you the option of going full scale 16GB if and when required.. Further it is a dual channel config for whatever performance benefit it provides.. If you are worried about not using the RAM fully then by all means go for the standard 4GB (2 x 2GB) config..
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:55:37 AM

@malmental - You shss, i said im tired and that i did not remember all AM3 boards are Dual channel, please find it in your heart to forgive me.... Get over yourself....

@Emperis - The point i was trying to make behind the 8Gb was why go and spend an extra 40 on something your computer will never utilize, you could just spend that on something else like a more reliable PSU. (im talking about 4x2 vs. 3x2)

Id just get 4gb, aslong he isn't allowing useless programs eat up his RAM. He shouldn't ever notice the difference.
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:57:59 AM

So thoughts on ram? These are pretty spendy but they have a Cas Latency of 7 (which is better than 9 correct?)
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:59:19 AM

Quote:
depending on how you have the RAM configured 6GB might not run in dual channel mode.
6GB(3x2GB) will not run dual, (2x2GB) + (2x1GB) will run dual but we don't want to occupy all slots on board.
so the logical answer is 8GB(4x2GB), running in dual.
4GB is not enough for the gaming and photoshop on a 64-bit OS, yes it can run I'm not denying that but,
we want dual configuration with enough RAM not to worry about it.

Dude, I am running an i7 920 with 6Gb and i use Photoshop and I game (I used to play Aion, look it up and you will understand). My system has never gone past 4gb and he isn't even playing games that require that amount of RAM in the first place. Don't encourage people to spend the extra money when they can spend it another more useful way. If they were to ever need the upgrade, they could just purchase another set. Said and done, nothing is hard about it.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:03:48 AM

akondray said:
So thoughts on ram? These are pretty spendy but they have a Cas Latency of 7 (which is better than 9 correct?)

Sigh, okay I can't stop you from getting 8gb but i can at least recomend some great ram for a good price.

Just as good without breaking the wallet.

Also, if your worried about the heat, as long you have decent airflow in your case, you shouldn't need the fan a top the RAM.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:10:25 AM

Who said I won't be playing games that require more than aion? Lol I'm not cross firing 6870s to play runescape or wow :p 

Also, your 6g would run much better than 6g for me because my AMD chip and Mobo doesnt support tri-channel while I assume your i7 does.

Thanks for the help non-the-less
m
l
a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 7:11:06 AM

PrAmok said:
@Emperis - The point i was trying to make behind the 8Gb was why go and spend an extra 40 on something your computer will never utilize, you could just spend that on something else like a more reliable PSU. (im talking about 4x2 vs. 3x2)

First, the name's Emperus and not Emperis.. Now, although 8GB of RAM is overboard in most situations, it is not impractical by any means.. Actually, photoshop is itself capable of eating up that much RAM.. It all depends on the level of usage.. Further, extra RAM will not hinder with system/application performance.. It'll just sit there, ready to be used if and when the need arrives.. Consider it like using a 750W PSU when 500W will be enough.. More headroom, lesser worries, more peace of mind..
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:15:16 AM

If I decide to overclock, wont I be pretty limited with the 1066?
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:16:29 AM

Emperus said:
First, the name's Emperus and not Emperis.. Now, although 8GB of RAM is overboard in most situations, it is not impractical by any means.. Actually, photoshop is itself capable of eating up that much RAM.. It all depends on the level of usage.. Further, extra RAM will not hinder with system/application performance.. It'll just sit there, ready to be used if and when the need arrives.. Consider it like using a 750W PSU when 500W will be enough.. More headroom, lesser worries, more peace of mind..

Sorry for the typo, as I said I am a lil tired. You kind of make sense but then at the same time you don't. There is no point of having RAM sitting there unused.

akondray said:
Who said I won't be playing games that require more than aion? Lol I'm not cross firing 6870s to play runescape or wow :p 

Also, your 6g would run much better than 6g for me because my AMD chip and Mobo doesnt support tri-channel while I assume your i7 does.

Thanks for the help non-the-less

Err, sorry thought this was the thread that said you were getting 5650. But still, you don't need all that in order to play up to date games.

Last time I checked the Phenoms were claiming and known for their ability to render faster than the i5's and i7's.

akondray said:
If I decide to overclock, wont I be pretty limited with the 1066?

No, you may overclock but you wont even notice the difference when your dealing with so much RAM.

Only speed differences you will ever notice is going from DDR2 to DD3.
m
l
!