Your question

Computer will not load bios completes post (one beep) then nothing

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2010 3:43:37 PM

I was installing new hdd's in my 3 year old self built Pentium 4 system. After formating the first new one I installed Win7 on it and left Win XP and other software on the original drive. Win7 took over and I could not run XP despite changing the boot order of the drives. I disconnected the new drive but Win7 detected an error and said run the Win7 installation disk to repair it.

I cleared the cmos to try and remove win 7 from memory and now I can get the single beep as it starts up but no futher. The monitor screen stays dead although monitor is ok (tested on other machine) I've tried taking out ram one at a time but just the same. Hdd and CD roms power up but are now disconnected but still nothing.

Can anyone suggest a solution

Cheers

John

More about : computer load bios completes post beep

a b B Homebuilt system
March 3, 2010 4:20:50 PM

sounds like you cleared out the boot order in the bios. If you wanted to control booting like that you should have only had windows 7 hard drive in it.
March 3, 2010 4:26:44 PM

Can you get into the BIOS to make changes? If so, first off, check and make sure the hardrive(s) are being detected right. Then, check the boot order as suggested above.
Related resources
March 3, 2010 8:19:47 PM

Lan said:
Can you get into the BIOS to make changes? If so, first off, check and make sure the hardrive(s) are being detected right. Then, check the boot order as suggested above.

Thanks for the reply... No I can't get anything on the monitor at all but I know it is working. All I get is the beep when it posts, lights on CD Roms and Hdd
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2010 7:23:27 AM

That makes it sound like a graphics problem of some sort. You don't say what graphics options it has, but it could be as simple as it getting confused over enabling an integrated chip or a discrete card instead.
March 4, 2010 9:32:33 AM

Make sure all the cabels are connected correctly, by disconnecting each cable and inserting them back in, try removing sata cable and power cable from the hdd and cdrom( I think you did it but I was not sure I understood what you wrote correctly)
Make sure all cards are connected correctly by disconnecting each card and insert them in again,
How did you cleared your coms? By the coms pin? If so make sure you entered it back correctly ,

If all those does not work:( before doing the following remove all cables from hdd and cdrom ,leave only one ram card in the ram card slots)

* Maybe you have a built in video card on the mother board, If you have try inserting the screen cable in there.

* There is a cmos pin that make a cmos restart , find in the the board manual and make a cmos restart.
* put a different memory module in the ram slots(one that you sure is working , from another PC)
* put a different video card in the video card slot (one that you sure is working , from another PC)

March 4, 2010 12:28:29 PM

Thanks everybody for your help. I have got as far as I could but ran out of options when it came to substituting parts because my other computer is an AMD base not intel with newer system and no agp card. for a start.

I have found a local computer shop who are going to check it out for me FOC! I presume that if they find the fault they will expect me to buy the bits from them. Actually I've had a look at their prices and they aren't bad.

Will post again when I know more.

Cheers

John

a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2010 12:36:58 PM

I agree with FalseDmitry_II. IF you have a video card you're using AND your mobo also has built-in video you are NOT using, I suspect your reset of the BIOS made it revert to using the built-in video chip. In that case your video is being output on the video out connector attached to your mobo, and nothing is coming out of the connector on the video card. So if that's your situation, move the monitor feed cable over to the mobo's output connector and see if you have a signal there to see.

First of all, an error message from Windows about needing to repair its files, etc, cannot come from the BIOS, so resetting the BIOS is not the way to solve your original problem. But more importantly for where you are now, a BIOS reset requires two additional steps you did not mention. (I appreciate that, with no monitor display, you have not had any opportunity do to these.) The first time you boot after the reset you MUST enter BIOS Setup and start by going to the area where you get to reload a set of parameters - usually load the Optimal Default settings. Then you go back into the Setup screens and re-set any key items like which drives you have, their port modes, the Boot Priority Sequence, any customized voltage or timing settings for the CPU or RAM if you had made custom settings, etc. THEN you Save and Exit and this puts you back close to the stable operation conditions before the reset operation.
March 5, 2010 9:08:23 AM

Thanks Paperdoc

You will see that I have now taken it to be tested fpr hardware faults.

I did try the on board video but there was still nothing on the monitor not even a splash screen just as if the monitor was dead. But I know from trying it on another computer it is ok.

Cheers

John
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2010 1:07:46 PM

We'll all be interested to hear what is found wrong, and how to fix it. As you're well aware, many of us love to keep these stories of symptoms / causes / fixes in the backs of our minds.
March 11, 2010 3:59:42 PM

Hi

Mystery finally solved. The computer shop told me it was my graphics card and by removing that card and plugging the monitor into the onboard graphics they could get a signal to the monitor.

But they were not quite correct because I removed all the cards and then tried the graphics card on its own and it worked. However when I replaced my Matrox RT2500 video editing card the monitor didn't get a signal. Remove the editing card and the grapics card worked and continued working with all the other cards put back. So it would appear to be the editing card.

This however has opened up a whole can of worms because it would appear that if I want a new editing card I need a new computer because my AGP and PCI slot setup are obsolete.

I will have to look round for a secondhand editing card

Thanks everyone for your help

Cheers

John
a b B Homebuilt system
March 11, 2010 4:20:26 PM

Thanks for letting us know the details.