Your question

Booting problem with new parts

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2010 3:45:38 PM

Here are the system specs:
New Parts:
PSU -OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2
CPU -AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
VIDEOCARD -GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
MB -GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Old Parts:
MEMORY -4 STICKS OF G.SKILL HK 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-4GBHK - Retail
HD -Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
CASE -Rosewill R604-P BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,with mesh air filters,adjustable vents & Tool-Free kits
Operating System- Windows 7 ultimate

This is my eighth system I've built however it seems this ones is giving me the most problems. Right now I'm having problems booting the system. I've successively booted the system 4-5 times, no errors, Windows 7 was working fine, loaded the correct drivers, everything 5x5. These boots were successful with only the core components installed and powered, i.e. motherboard, PSU, CPU, video card, and hard drive. When I try to boot with additional components installed, card reader, system fans, it won't turn on. So i removed the additional components and it doesn't turn on, no boot, no lights, nothing. This whole time I double checked the connections, power switch connection to motherboard, everything however no power. So I tried just to get to the POST and the bios however the system won't turn on. Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? I'm thinking its the brand new power supply but I would like other thoughts.

Thanks,
rchurchw

More about : booting problem parts

March 30, 2010 4:38:16 PM

To me it definatly sounds like a power supply problem. What really tipped me off is when you said "So i removed the additional components and it doesn't turn on, no boot, no lights, nothing. This whole time I double checked the connections, power switch connection to motherboard, everything however no power."

Perhaps you have another power supply laying around that you could try?
m
l
April 1, 2010 8:14:05 PM

600w is certainly cutting it too close for that system...

Look into a better PSU...i almost always buy on ebay (i would rather buy a cheap 1000w every other year than a good-but-triple-the-price 1000w every 3 years)
m
l
!