Modular and None modular psu?

A modular PSU is a unit that you are able to detach cables that you dont need to make cable management easier and gives your case less clutter. Most high end PSU's these days are modular. But dont let that affect your decision do you have a brand and model in particular you are looking at and also do you exactly how much power you need?

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-117-AN

Maybe thinking about having 1-2 HD5850's in the future, as I've bought a C/f motherboard. So do they include all of the molex and Sata connecters etc in the box? and you just plug them in when you need them?

Sounds good as Im getting the Antec 900, which is known for not having the best cable management.

Thanks for the reply

As mentioned the difference is mainly cosmetic -- more important is the make\model and various output ratings of the PSU - If you post the ones you are considering we could give you more specific input as to which choice is better.

EDIT : Just saw your latest post ---- the antec you posted is actually a hybrid modular (most of the cables that are normally used are non-modular (ie. MOBO connectors, etc.) and then the PCI-e and MOLEX connectors are modular so you do have some freedom to only use the connections you use ! It would be a good choice - and yes the 650 comes with 2- 6 pin and also 2 8 pin PCI-e connections so could be used for xfire on 2 5850's

That Antec unit is a great choice and will be plenty of power for 2 5850s. And yes they include all the necessary wires in the box.

Heres a list of all the connectors you get

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4 Pin ATX 12V
1 x 8 Pin EPS 12V
9 x Peripheral
9 x SATA
1 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E

So plenty of wires for a crossfire setup and you can connect what you want when you need it. And to crosfire 2 5850s you will need 4 PCIE connectors which it has.

adam_x_brookes

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2009

Oh I understand now, Thank you for your help. Will defo get this one then because I've been threatend to not skimp on the PSU by my friends :kaola:

Yes defintely dont and this is a great unit it will put out a Combined 54Amps on the 12 volt rail which is more then enough for your setup with power to spare plus Antec PSU are very well built and have a 5 year warranty so good choice.

Good advice --- it is one part that many people try to skimp on but that only leads to instability problems in most cases (esp with the higher power requirements of modern systems!)