Sign in with
Your question

Need help with graphics

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2010 5:29:36 PM

Hello, I bought my son a 9800 gtx+ graphics card for christmas. He was struggling with AION game graphics. I upgraded to an ocz modxtreme 700 watt psu for power also. We run windows xp w/sp3, and we have an asus a8 ae-le mobo with an ati radeon xpress 200 chipset. The processor is an amd x2 4400+. Using a gateway 20 inch hd lcd monitor.

Have seen some improvement in fps, but still getting graphics lag ie...slow to load details in the background. We also can't get more than 1440 x 900 as the highest option.

What am I not understanding? I'm learning as I go here...can anyone help? :o 

More about : graphics

a c 247 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 5:57:12 PM

What is monitor's native resolution ?

How much ya wanna spend ?

read this ?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-graphic...

THG's take on the card is:

"Great 1680x1050 performance in most games, 1920x1200 in most games with lowered detail"

So 1440 x 900 should be no issue at all.

How often do you "clean out" (dump temp files, degfrag, run AV, check startup programs which may be slowing system down, etc) machine ? When was last time you resintalled OS from scratch ? (I do my 3 son's yearly)

How much memory ?

That's a 4 year old processor and getting a bit long in the tooth....
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
February 20, 2010 6:02:42 PM

This could just be a 'minor' driver related problem and is particularly likely if you had an ATI card installed on the system previously.
First do this:
Download the latest drivers for the card from the Nvidia website but do not install, then download Driversweeper and install it.
Set a Restore Point-Importaint!
Uninstall all existing and previous video drivers through the Add/Remove programs part of the Control Centre and reboot into Safe Mode.
Once in Safe Mode run Driversweeper and use it to sweep out the leftovers from the uninstall/s.
Reboot and install the new drivers, rebooting once the install is finished.
Next:
Make sure the system does not have a mass of programs running. Make sure the system only has icons and not file folders on the desktop. Disable any other programs using the internet connection and run a virus sweep to make sure the system is in good health.
And yes, the CPU is getting on a bit.
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:25:45 PM

Thanks for your response and your patience. I'm still learning how to use the forum too.

The screen resolution seems to be 1900 x 1200, bu I'm not sure where to find that information.

We're using 3 gigs of g-skill ram.

We clean the c drive and the cache/java daily, and we defrag at least once weekly.

I reinstalled the o/s just recently in an attempmt to get more than 1440 x 900 max available rez option.
m
l
February 20, 2010 6:42:38 PM

I' ve used the driver sweeper, and I've installed the latest nvidia driver. It worked better than any other driver I had previously tried. It's the 196.21 version.

We replaced a 6200Turbo SE by Nvidia, so there were no ati catalysts installed, except for the drivers for the chipset by ati.
m
l
a c 247 U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 2:41:01 PM

Right click on the desktop and look for display settings.
m
l
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 2:45:00 PM

Learner101 said:
I' ve used the driver sweeper, and I've installed the latest nvidia driver. It worked better than any other driver I had previously tried. It's the 196.21 version.

We replaced a 6200Turbo SE by Nvidia, so there were no ati catalysts installed, except for the drivers for the chipset by ati.

Try the 196.34's, you can get them from here.
m
l
February 21, 2010 3:26:02 PM

The display setting is 1440 x 900. That's the highest setting available on the settings bar. That's a big part of the problem. It simply will not allow us to set to any higher levels of resolution.
m
l
February 21, 2010 3:31:21 PM

I'll definately try that new driver
m
l
February 21, 2010 9:37:50 PM

The only thing I can find is a native screen resolution of 1440x900 in the nvidia control panel.
m
l
March 1, 2010 12:16:40 AM

Updated the driver and Java. There was also an update from the gaming software as well. It's working very well now. Thanks for your help fellows.
m
l
!