Darkloader and thief 3

Thief 3 is finally here, great!
I now find that after changing my graphics card and screwing around with
unexplained crashes to the desktop, (which is BTW the longest single subject
section in the release notes hmm makes you wonder) I now find I cant play
FMs any more.
I get the following: ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately
report texture memory usage.

What's that all about?
Do I need to update Darkloader to work with my new GeForce 5700 FX ultra?

jotard wrote:

> Thief 3 is finally here, great!
> I now find that after changing my graphics card and screwing around with
> unexplained crashes to the desktop, (which is BTW the longest single subject
> section in the release notes hmm makes you wonder) I now find I cant play
> FMs any more.
> I get the following: ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately
> report texture memory usage.
>
> What's that all about?
> Do I need to update Darkloader to work with my new GeForce 5700 FX ultra?

This is a problem with the Dark engine and some nVidia cards. For your
Thief/Thief 2 installation, go into the install directory and open up
"user.cfg". Add the line "safe_texture_manager" (or remove the ; before
that line, if it exists), save, and Thief should run fine.

"Canthlian" <canthlian@sadlittlelook.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> jotard wrote:
>
> > Thief 3 is finally here, great!
> > I now find that after changing my graphics card and screwing around with
> > unexplained crashes to the desktop, (which is BTW the longest single
subject
> > section in the release notes hmm makes you wonder) I now find I cant
play
> > FMs any more.
> > I get the following: ERROR: Direct3d device driver does not accurately
> > report texture memory usage.
> >
> > What's that all about?
> > Do I need to update Darkloader to work with my new GeForce 5700 FX
ultra?

> This is a problem with the Dark engine and some nVidia cards. For your
> Thief/Thief 2 installation, go into the install directory and open up
> "user.cfg". Add the line "safe_texture_manager" (or remove the ; before
> that line, if it exists), save, and Thief should run fine.

I have nearly the same problem: I bought a new PC with a Geforce 5700 FX
card. Since then I couldn't play any game of the thief series (except thief3
of course ;o). The normal advice you will find is the one mentioned above. I
hope it will help. For me it wasn't helpful. I read several threads in the
ttlg-Forums and tried a lot of other things (e.g. deactivation of HT,
deactivation of hardware acceleration........), but nothing helped. The only
solution for me is to downgrade my nvidia drivers. But then thief3 will no
longer be playable................ BTW: for thief1 and thief gold there is a
fixed .exe file available that may solve the problem on some systems. You
can find them somewhere at http://www.thief-thecircle.com/. I tried that
too, but it wasn't successfull either................

Good luck

Michael

It worked for me
Thanks very much.