Picking out a CPU

connor m

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I'm currently in the market right now to build a new computer. This computer is going to be used for, gaming (World of Warcraft, SC2, and some FPS). Also Microsoft programs such as, Word, and Powerpoint for school. I was thinking about the i7 930, but not sure. I have around a $1100 budget, and I don't want to go all out on the CPU, and have everything else bad.

-Thanks

PS, Intel only please.

Go for a cheaper CPU the I7 a little over priced IMO. For gaming get an AMD Phenom II 955BE or 965BE the 955 is the same as the 965 just 200 mhz slower but can easily be raised by its unlocked multiplier. If you live near MicroCenter they have I5 750's for $189.99 which would be mu 1st choice.

Its best to spend moderate on the CPU and go big with the GPU for a gaming setup I suggest atleast a HD 5850 or 5870. 4 gigs of RAM is the sweet spot 6 gigs is best for RAM then get a good ventilated case and you got yourself a killer rig.

SO

1st Choice I5 750
2nd Choice AMD Phenom II 955 BE
3rd I7 870 - the most expensive option but will be the best gamer

AMD also has their 6 core offerings but they aren't really Ideal for gaming since no game can take use of 6 cores let alone even 4 cores.

I know you said intel only but AMD cpu's really do give some great performance for the price.

So I5 750 or I7 870 would be the 2 I would be looking at see which fits into your budget best.

logainofhades

Titan

I agree except for the i7 870. The extra price for the 870 over the 860 is not worth the extra performance you would get. It would be like buying an i7 950 over a i7 930. It is not worth it. If you happen to have a Microcenter nearby, definitely make the trip there. $200 for an i7 860 is a hell of a deal. They also lately have been having bundle deals with AMD cpus and motherboards.

connor m

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Okay, thanks guys. I'll look into the 870 a little bit more. I also do have a Microcenter, fairly close. They are kind of over priced on some things, but sometimes they have good sales. I'll be checking them out soon.