Overkill for a motherboard?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2010 4:40:41 AM

Hey all,

Back in the beginning of August, I was having a friend (who knows a lot more about computer parts in general then I do) helping me choose parts for a computer. After deciding on an AMD Phenom processor, we originally had decided on this motherboard. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now me being the naive person that I am, I just went with his decision. If I'm just going to be using this computer for gaming (WoW mostly, as well as Portal 2, Half-Life 2 EP3, and Diablo 3 probably when that comes out) and not any other graphically intensive programs, do I really need that strong of a motherboard? I won't be using the computer for video-editing, photo-shop, sound editing, or anything like that. It's basically just going to be used for surfing the net, gaming, and school work.

Would a motherboard like this suffice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your time.

Sicel

More about : overkill motherboard

October 24, 2010 6:31:02 AM

It would suffice but....cpu's do the work. motherboards just make everything work together so to speak. You should find 1 thatll meet your needs.

we need to know:
What cpu do you have?
What ram do you have?
How many gpu's?
How many hd's?
Do you plan on overclocking?
Do you plan on a sound card?

You wont notice a difference in either choice. but the 1 he chose may have something u need
m
l
October 24, 2010 6:47:19 AM

This would do just as well really in your situation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This mobo is completely compatible to what you posted, meaning the parts will work that you chose on this too.

Oh forgot to add, he probably planned on unlocking the Phenom ii. That mobo has a button that unlocks it for you.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2010 6:05:14 PM

jason gran said:
It would suffice but....cpu's do the work. motherboards just make everything work together so to speak. You should find 1 thatll meet your needs.

we need to know:
What cpu do you have?
What ram do you have?
How many gpu's?
How many hd's?
Do you plan on overclocking?
Do you plan on a sound card?

You wont notice a difference in either choice. but the 1 he chose may have something u need

Here's what I'm planning on getting:

AMD Phenom II X4 945
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
GIGABYTE GV-R577SO-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (I only plan on using one video card for the time being).
Two hard drives: These I already have from a previously built system. One 34.4 gig raptor drive for my OS, and then a 150 gig 7,200 RPM drive for everything else.
I do not plan on overclocking.
I already have a sound card: Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS (Really old, I know, but it still works without any problems)
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
October 24, 2010 6:31:41 PM

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - I would never use a MOBO with an on-board GPU. You'll need to fully disable the on-board HD 4290 otherwise it will H/W reserve an additional ~ 0.5-1GB of your RAM.

ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 - is much better for CF with PCIe 16X16.

Your friend told you right. ;) 
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:24:52 AM

^1+ there you go
m
l
October 25, 2010 12:32:47 AM

Ok, thanks for the tip guys. This leads me to another question; what about motherboards with no on-board video? Any good suggestions?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 1:35:27 AM

Actually, the big hint is on the series numbering.

The 890GX comes with the HD4290 IGP. With that in mind, the FX with same model number does not, yet also have the luxury of crossfire due to the dual graphics slot. The 880G, with the same G with the GX series (probably the abbreviation for "Graphics" :p  ), comes also with an IGP with slightly lower number, the HD4250. Which explains why the model number is also lower. As for the 870, it has neither an IGP nor dual graphics slot, which explains why it has the lowest numbering in the 8-series chipset (also the cheapest :lol:  ).

That's pretty much for the latest AMD's chipset. Is the 8-series the only option you have in mind? What about the previous 7-series? It's your call though, I'm just giving you some alternatives.

As for a specific brand or model, it's not quite an issue. Motherboards are mainly about compatibility, durability and features. Without OC and fancy premium stuffs, just follow the chipset guideline as your first step. Additional features can be considered along the way.

Hope this helps!
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:22:00 AM

damasvara said:
Actually, the big hint is on the series numbering.

The 890GX comes with the HD4290 IGP. With that in mind, the FX with same model number does not, yet also have the luxury of crossfire due to the dual graphics slot. The 880G, with the same G with the GX series (probably the abbreviation for "Graphics" :p  ), comes also with an IGP with slightly lower number, the HD4250. Which explains why the model number is also lower. As for the 870, it has neither an IGP nor dual graphics slot, which explains why it has the lowest numbering in the 8-series chipset (also the cheapest :lol:  ).

That's pretty much for the latest AMD's chipset. Is the 8-series the only option you have in mind? What about the previous 7-series? It's your call though, I'm just giving you some alternatives.

As for a specific brand or model, it's not quite an issue. Motherboards are mainly about compatibility, durability and features. Without OC and fancy premium stuffs, just follow the chipset guideline as your first step. Additional features can be considered along the way.

Hope this helps!

The only chipset that my friend and I looked at was the 8-series because I might have told him that I wanted to buy something that will last for at least a few years. Basically trying to "think ahead" I guess.

Thanks for all the recommendations guys.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 2:34:10 AM

In that case, your best option is the 890FX series. Brand is not a serious issue IMO, just find the features you need on a motherboard and you're good to go.

FYI, for future proof considerations, I heard that the next AMD CPU socket will be launched soon. Doesn't mean that your current setup will be obsolete, but this might be a consideration for your PC building perspective. ;) 
m
l
October 25, 2010 2:51:58 AM

damasvara said:
In that case, your best option is the 890FX series. Brand is not a serious issue IMO, just find the features you need on a motherboard and you're good to go.

FYI, for future proof considerations, I heard that the next AMD CPU socket will be launched soon. Doesn't mean that your current setup will be obsolete, but this might be a consideration for your PC building perspective. ;) 

Actually Dama, thanks for bringing that point up!

As of currently, there are only a few games out there that will even benefit from using four-cores (Civilization 5, Starcraft 2 I think?, etc.) or six-cores, correct? So couldn't you technically argue that for the immediate time being, one of your biggest bottlenecks will be what graphics card you are running?

I'm not even aware of any FPS's that can take full advantage of quad-core/hexa-core processors (maybe with an exception being Crysis 2 that is coming out in March), so getting a relatively nice quad-core sounds like a good road to go down for now.

Also, I know that CPU choice has an affect on overall performance. I'm aware that Intel processors usually wtfpwn AMD's, but AMD usually seems to have the better "bang for the buck" option usually, so I'll go with them.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2010 3:04:46 AM

Good decision, I'm actually using AMD Athlon myself. :sol: 

You're correct, games are more GPU dependent than CPU and that most games don't even use more 4 cores.

With a basic knowledge that solid, hopefully you won't be mislead to false assumptions and opinions.

Good luck on that build! :) 
m
l
October 25, 2010 3:10:16 AM

Yep, thanks!
m
l