~$800 Gaming Rig (Compatibility issues?) 1st try ever..

HostPlus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hello everyone! This is my first post, so I'd like to thank alot of people in this forum for helpful posts on pretty much everything, the useful reviews and comprehensive benchmarks. This would be my first building attempt ever.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: March-April 2010

BUDGET RANGE: Under A$850 (Rebates? Not sure so I'm assuming after rebates)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, videos, occasional image editing, surfing the net and word processing.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Mainly the peripherals - monitor, mouse, keyboard (all with awesome wired technology -.-), have a Greatwall 550w PSU but I'm afraid it'll explode so not too sure if I want to keep it. (Oh the old PC is a AGP system... it's like 5+ years old ahaha so everything must go, reason for this big change is it won't even turn on after system restore and I'm never fixing that again -.-)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.msy.com.au/ (Very cheap prices)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: I'm Chinese/HK but reside in Australia if that's the question ahaha

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel and Gigabyte out of habit, also used HIS for my graphics card back then and it's still kicking so no worries. Seagate, Kingston for RAM and Hard Disk is fine.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes but only mild because touching voltage is too much personally.

Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe/No I can only afford one card, brother has a HD4850 lying somewhere but I want to be 'green' and not overdo it. Also concerned about PSU costs at this point and I have no idea how much I need.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Always used 1024x768, lately using 1280x1024 but I expect that this budget build can handle some 1920x1080 so I'd stick with the times I guess and go large. Not sure if my 19" monitor supports that resolution though, it's about 3 years old.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Being quiet never hurt anybody, energy efficiency is also a +1, trying to save with a cheap PSU, Case combo but all of the combos look like suicide.

This is what I've come up with (compatibility problems? Insufficient PSU?) Prices as of 3/3/2010
(Website updates daily) (Prices are in A$) :

MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte P55-UD3 - $ 134
CPU Intel i5-750 - $ 229
VGA HIS Radeon 5770 - $ 183
Hard Disk Seagate SATA 500GB - $ 59
RAM 4GB Kingston RAM Kit - $ 124
Case + PSU Coolermaster Sop. RS201 - $ 119 (This combo sports a 430w PSU I think its a Coolermaster)

Total - A$848.00

Comprehensive Item List and prices could be found here (sorry they don't have individual item specs)

MSY Computer Part Listing & Prices

I'm a little edgy on this final cost, not in the best financial position, so I'm hoping costs can be cut, I've considered an Intel i3 530 and even 2GB of RAM and also reusing my old and extremely battered case and just to grab an ANTEC PSU... I would appreciate any recommendations and whether this build I have here is OK to go. Also do I need additional cooling fans or heat sinks? Or would this hold up to normal wear and tear?

Thanks in advance!

autiep03

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
430 Watts is a little weak in my opinion for such a beefy video chard. I remember i had to upgrade to a 700w power supply in order to run my gtx 260. but the 5770 is more efficient, so i'm not sure if it is or isn't enough power. I am sure someone will.

I do like your card choice however, it may be worth the psu considering the performance.

You won't be able to overclock much without a good cpu cooler. $30 (american) could go a long way for overclocking.

Keep atleast 4gb of ram. Is it DDR3?

i5's are very nice processors.

If you are not in the best financial situation (who isn't?), then remember you can always wait for the next batch of shiny new pc components to come off the line, and make your current system cost drop.

Hope I helped!

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
Yup !

Most of the more popular mobos that use that socket 1156 chip have dual channel DDR3 ... check your timings and what others bought ... combo deals, etc., to see what is appropriate.

The PSU should definately be 620W-820W, for two 5700+/5800+ cards ... you want some power overhead and I would say, for furure growth, you want ~~680W
(+/- 80W) for 2xSLI/xFire.

= Al =

HostPlus

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Thanks a lot for the replies! As for the optical drive, I'm using something that can read write CD/DVD at slow speeds but no complaints there, not sure how the new optical drives work.. Blu Ray.. not sure about optical actually, I completely neglected it.

I would've had no idea I needed 600W+, thanks I didn't know the HD 5770 ate so much power, and oops yea, the RAM is DDR3 for the 1156 pin mobos. Looks like I'll spend more on the Case and PSU and grab more funds.

Anyone recommend good cases + PSU brands? I've always used generic but times call for something more reliable. (I've gone through 3 PSU's and 4 mobos for my AGP system >.<)

shubham1401

Distinguished
For a single card (HD5770) a quality 400W PSU will suffice!!

Are you sure you'll be running a single card?

That Coolermaster PSU is as good as your Greatwall Lol...
Change it to Corsair 400CX.

BTW OCZ also makes good quality cheap PSU.
Look for OCZ ModXstream 500W PSU.

Change the HD to 500GB Samsung Spinpoint F3. Very good drive.

Regarding the Case: CM makes good cases.Check for Coolermaster HAF922 , CM690, Antec 300.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
In this case, the Devil is right ... but you (or your successor) may wish to expand/upgrade and the PSU will likely outlast the rest of yer parts ... I move PSUs around and swap older parts w/friends to make Franken-Linux boxes, etc.

= Al =

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
And gamers never up to xFire? ... Okay ... A gold rated 500W would prolly use less power than a bronze(minus) or unrated PSU of lesser Wattage.

If you're really sure you aren't going to max out the system or to re-use /sell/trade/donate the PSU. later ... cool. Quality and versatility are more important, to me.

Guess all that constitutes a personal philosophy and opinion. I am a penny pinching tree-hugger (really) ... I drive a 2001 Honda Insight Hybrid and converted my ranch from cattle to wild-life.

A PSU must be mined and smelted and stamped and assembled using semi-precious metals ... then shipped across the globe. Might as well get a decent one.

= Al =
JMO

autiep03

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Once you start gaming, you will crave more power, such as xfire. Then you will regret your 400w... and i have the antec 300 illusion, love it. I find it more fun to mod a cheap case into something nice than to buy a nice case right off the bat (and its cheaper). The 300 has great ventilation, consider a fan controller to bring down the noise though.

shubham1401

Distinguished
^What you're saying isn't wrong.
Its just that Our thoughts don't match...

@OP:quality 400W unit or a Quality 550W unit both will suffice for you.

With 550W you have room for future upgrades and CF with 5770.

(But even with 400W you can get a powerful single card and in future even more such cards like 5XXX series which needs so less power may come)