Sign in with
Your question

GPU not being detected..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 20, 2010 8:12:39 PM

All of a sudden, my video card (8800GT) isn't cooperating with my PC. I cannot launch Nvidia Display Center, and everytime I try to install my drivers, it doesn't work. Don't know how this happened, but is my card shot? Like it isn't completed out of commission since I'm on it right now, but I cannot get the drivers to work. I've been working with this problem all day. Is it time for a new card? Also, could it be the motherboard? I don't want to buy a new card and then realize it's the MOBO...

More about : gpu detected

February 21, 2010 2:47:00 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to test your card in another PC ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 21, 2010 4:23:34 PM

if that dont work try a fresh intall of a new OS and see if it works. Make sure that in BIOS you have primary display driver set to PCI-E... although if you get A picture through the card you should be fine.

also make sure your PSU is strong enough, a weak PSU will disable parts of the card, even though it could remain fully funtional... also make sure you have the power cables plugged in well
m
l
Related resources
February 21, 2010 8:04:43 PM

I tried a reformat, still no solution. There isn't another PC I can try this card with atm, maybe sometime within the next 2 weeks. Also, I've been running this build for almost 2 years, so I think the PSU is strong enough..it's been working for that long.
m
l
February 21, 2010 11:49:42 PM

Hi,

If your mobo has onboard grapics uninstall the card and connect your monitor to the mobo output and see what happens.
m
l
February 28, 2010 3:08:23 PM

I have the exact same problem, I have a 9800GT. And it started with crashing, but now the screen is completely messed up. I don't have any on board video memory so obviously the card is working somewhat. But my pc cannot detect it or the monitor that I'm using.
Anyway, if you find a solution please tell. I also need to know if its the motherboard or the video card thats broken.
m
l
February 28, 2010 9:32:52 PM

I ended up buying a 9800GT. The problem was the card for me. Hope that clears things up.
m
l
!