Sign in with
Your question

Question about CPU Turbo Mode

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2010 2:15:58 AM

Ok, so..... if a laptops cpu is, say, Intel® Core™ i7 620M 2.66 GHz (3.33GHz Turbo Mode, 4MB Cache) that means that the computer normally runs at 2.66 GHz(no question there), and that, if needed, it boosts up to 3.33 GHz. so these are my questions:

1) Does it automatically jump up to 3.33 GHz or does it rest somewhere in between and just rise as needed?

2) If it does just jump, will constantly running your cpu in turbo mode wear out your computer faster...such as overclocking?

Thanks.
a c 133 à CPUs
May 11, 2010 2:19:29 AM

It will only go into turbo mode in apps that use 1 or 2 cores it will overclock those cores as long as the temps will allow it. Turbo mode does not wear out the CPU at all it is what its designed to do and will be fine. Once it is no longer needed it will go back to stock speed.
m
l
May 11, 2010 2:25:50 AM

ok thanks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
May 11, 2010 2:33:11 AM

I'm not familiar with the laptop turbo, however I'll give you a quick rundown on what it did (I've disabled it) on my desktop i5.

"Stock" 2.66GHz, though it never ran that speed.

All the time (when loaded) 2.8GHz.

When only 1 or 2 cores/threads, as high as 3.2GHz (though sometimes it would go to intermediate levels).

This is within Intel spec. Technically it does "reduce" the life, but so does turning your computer on. It is quite safe to use.
m
l
!