Sign in with
Your question

Question regarding Corsair XMS3 3x2GB installed...

Last response: in Memory
October 24, 2010 7:20:50 PM

Hey guys/gals...I really need some help, or reassurance with this question, and as always its appreciated!!

Okay so I have an Asus P7P55D-E Pro MOBO with a I7 860 CPU with 2x2GB of
Corsair XMS3 Model Number TW3X4G1333C9A G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And yesterday i received a set of Corsair XMS3 - 6GB * 3 x 2GB Which id like to install...however im not sure it would be an ideal setup or not?

Now if it is okay to install this ram, which correct me if im wriong but is faster than what I have installed now, and being there are 4 slots, should i, rather can i, install the 3 sticks of the new ram and one stick of the current ram? Or just the 2 sticks of the newer ram, and two sticks of the current ram, or simply the 3 sticks of new ram alone?

I am running windows 7 64bit, i do not game however i do have photoshop and work with videos and pictures,

So before i do install or mess around i just wanted to post this question to see what the more advanced folks have to say here at Toms.

Thanks in advance for any comments,
Ed

Again i currently have installed

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model TW3X4G1333C9A G

and would like to install

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3C1600C7

a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 10:56:59 PM

As long as your not going to run the RAM at 1600MHz put all 4 in. 1600MHz does not have any more performance over 1333MHz so don't run it at that.

When running an odd number of DIMMs you run the RAM in single channel mode as opposed to dual channel. There are some small performance increases from single to dual so ideally you should run 4 or 2 sticks. Thats why your kit has 3 DIMMs its made for triple channel X58.

Hope that helps.
a b } Memory
October 25, 2010 11:42:31 AM

Your memory and timings will only be as fast as the slowest stick you install.

So with the old stuff being 1333 @ 9,9,9,24

and the new stuff being 1600 @ 7,8,7,20

Also both sticks have different voltage needs.

The new stuff is rated at 1.65 volts vs 1.5 for the old stuff.

If you are happy with the performance your current memory and just want more, just install 2 of the new sticks, the new ram should do 1333 9,9,9,20 @ 1.5

If you want to try for more performance, try the new sticks, but you may have to settle in the middle somewhere(and setup the memory manually) like 1333 @ 8,8,8,20 with 1.65 volts.

That will take some testing to ensure your last stick of old memory can run 1333 @ 8,8,8,20 on 1.65.(i sure bet it will do it)

Hope this helps
Related resources
October 25, 2010 4:03:40 PM

Thank you guys so much for the quick responses..im not sure how to go about this...i dont know much about overclocking, I'm especially lost in the section manually timing or changing anything to do with the memory.

Is there a Good easy read Guide that explains it all?

Also In your humble opinion what is the best combonation in ram i can do with what i have?

Also what would you recommend if i got different ram all together? Which combination of ram would help the system run best it can? For example should i remove what i have in there, now, install the 3 piece set and get one more stick just like it? Or I did see a 2 x 2GB of corsair XMS but it said "UNLOCKED"?? What if i got 2 packs of those?

I guess what im trying to ask is what is the best combination of memory i should install, even if it means buying new ram all together? With out going over board, i don't need 12 gigs of ram or anything..

Again thanks for your timely responses, i really dont know anything about the diffrent speeds of ram, all i know is i need ddr3, i just want to make sure im the proper set of ram with the same speeds and such.
Ed
a b } Memory
October 26, 2010 4:40:58 AM

Setting the memory timings will be in your motherboard manual. Since it is a bit different on different systems/boards. On your board it will be under AI Tweaker. If you do this, NEVER set the memory voltage over 1.65(Dram voltage). Under dram Timing Control is where you set the timings. The hardest you will want to push the old memory would be about 1333 @ 8,8,8,24 @ 1.65 volts. Since I do not have that board memory combo, I can only take a guess that it should work. The 8,8,8,24 refers to CAS,RAS to CAS,RAS Precharge,tRas(the should already be in that order in the bios)

I have this in my media center(running 1333 @ 6,7,6,20 @ 1.65), and it would be my recommendation, but since you already have memory, it would be a waste to buy new memory. Just make the most of what you have. The performance difference is not always even noticeable.

If you do not want to do this, you can just install any 4 sticks and the board will use the lowest common speed for all.

In your case chances are you would get 1333 @ 9,9,9,24 on 1.5 volts.
November 2, 2010 10:01:32 PM

great guys thanks!
November 10, 2010 11:46:11 AM

nukemaster said:
Setting the memory timings will be in your motherboard manual. Since it is a bit different on different systems/boards. On your board it will be under AI Tweaker. If you do this, NEVER set the memory voltage over 1.65(Dram voltage). Under dram Timing Control is where you set the timings. The hardest you will want to push the old memory would be about 1333 @ 8,8,8,24 @ 1.65 volts. Since I do not have that board memory combo, I can only take a guess that it should work. The 8,8,8,24 refers to CAS,RAS to CAS,RAS Precharge,tRas(the should already be in that order in the bios)

I have this in my media center(running 1333 @ 6,7,6,20 @ 1.65), and it would be my recommendation, but since you already have memory, it would be a waste to buy new memory. Just make the most of what you have. The performance difference is not always even noticeable.

If you do not want to do this, you can just install any 4 sticks and the board will use the lowest common speed for all.

In your case chances are you would get 1333 @ 9,9,9,24 on 1.5 volts.

Okay great thank you, you really did help me open my eyes to this whole topic....i guess the last thing id like to ask you...only because is was told it would be fine, is to install the 3 x6GB kit and one stick of the 2x4GB Kit, this being 4 2gig sticks at DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

just to clarify, it would be the 3 sticks from this kit

and one stick from this kit

and please do correct me if im wrong but if i did install those 4 sticks id have 8 gigs of DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

And i wouldnt even have to do anything in the bios as all sticks are the same? Or am i looking at this wrong?

I know this probably wont make much of a difference? in fact it seems to run good enough for me with just the 4 gigs of DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory installed, however i did get these new kits for next to nothing so why not install it, id just like to learn and understand the timings and optimal installation with the ram i have.

Again thank you ever so much,
Ed
a b } Memory
November 10, 2010 12:59:34 PM

Those sticks are exactly the same, just some packed in 3's for 1366(tri channel kit) and the others packed in 2s for 1156(dual).

As far as a drop in a forget it option, Yes and no(well maybe no), they will all run but without your board being told to look for a XMP(Extreme Memory Profile). It will run @ 1333 9,9,9,24. This is for compatibility. since when DDR2 came out there was problems with the 800mhz memory not being able to run due to low voltage(supplies by default). Since your memory is designed to take 1.65 volts to get to 1600.

I do not have your board, so I am not sure if it will auto set XMP or not. You can use a program like CPU-Z to see if it is running at 1600 or 1333.

On my H55N USB3 board, XMP has to be set by the user, then it auto sets the voltage and timings. With it off I get the timings listed above.

on boards without XMP(you have XMP), the ram has to be set manually.

Remember, if you get it unstable or not posting, you can always try the mem ok button on the board or reset the cmos.

No matter what, your memory will run at the speed its at now without any users intervention. You will just have more memory.
November 11, 2010 2:49:45 PM

nukemaster said:
Those sticks are exactly the same, just some packed in 3's for 1366(tri channel kit) and the others packed in 2s for 1156(dual).

As far as a drop in a forget it option, Yes and no(well maybe no), they will all run but without your board being told to look for a XMP(Extreme Memory Profile). It will run @ 1333 9,9,9,24. This is for compatibility. since when DDR2 came out there was problems with the 800mhz memory not being able to run due to low voltage(supplies by default). Since your memory is designed to take 1.65 volts to get to 1600.

I do not have your board, so I am not sure if it will auto set XMP or not. You can use a program like CPU-Z to see if it is running at 1600 or 1333.

On my H55N USB3 board, XMP has to be set by the user, then it auto sets the voltage and timings. With it off I get the timings listed above.

on boards without XMP(you have XMP), the ram has to be set manually.
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5136/memoryxmp.jpg

Remember, if you get it unstable or not posting, you can always try the mem ok button on the board or reset the cmos.

No matter what, your memory will run at the speed its at now without any users intervention. You will just have more memory.

Okay so i finally iinstalled all 4 sticks of the faster ram...Now the Board i have is the Asus P7P55D-E pro, and with your help and some research i went into the bios and set the numbers from 9-9-9-25 to 7-8-7-20...is that correct? I left everything else at auto as i dont know what all the other options mean, but i did change those specific numbers which are written on the ram. Is this the proper way or am i missing something?

Again, i have to thank you for your time in responding and helping me with this matter!
Ed

I also just installed Cpu-z and im getting the same readings as what you listed in your picture...im not sure if that helps at all but i figured id let ya know?
a b } Memory
November 11, 2010 2:59:11 PM

You also have to change the voltage to 1.65, or +0.15 on some boards. Asus states the board has XMP, so maybe it has already done it for you

What does cpu-z show(under the memory tab)?

You can see the ram voltage with an app called hwmon.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
November 11, 2010 5:11:31 PM

nukemaster said:
You also have to change the voltage to 1.65, or +0.15 on some boards. Asus states the board has XMP, so maybe it has already done it for you

What does cpu-z show(under the memory tab)?

You can see the ram voltage with an app called hwmon.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Okay so under the memory tab it states the Following-

Channels # Dual
NB Frequency 2525.4 MHz

dram frequency - 701.5 MHz
FSB.Dram - 2:10
CAS# Latency (CL) - 7.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) - 8 clocks
RAS# Percentage (tRP) - 7 Clocks
Cycle Time - (tRAS) - 20 clocks
Row Refresh Cycle Time (tRFC) - 78 Clocks
Command Rate (CR) - 2T

I can deffinatly take any kind of screen shots if neccessary, right now im working off two PCs...Ill check out that link now...im just very confuesed about these Clock #s and what i should change any values too?
a b } Memory
November 12, 2010 1:55:58 AM

Your memory is currently @ 1400 not 1600. This can be for many reasons(even more then i list, these 2 are common).

1. Are you overclocking? Overclocking changes the base frequency and then changes the memory frequency.
2. What memory multipliers are available(not a question). In some cases it is hard to get dead on since there are multipliers based on the cpu base clock(just like fsb). With these multipliers the jump from one to the next can actually put the memory over spec. In that case the board gets as close as it can without going over. I have seen boards try to go over too.

If i remember right, on my H55N(Media center system) board, the board wanted to overclock the cpu to make it to 1600. I said no and left it at 1333(6,7,6,20 2T @ 1.66volts).

Either way, i do not think there is going to be an issue as long as the voltage is working as it should. you can see it in hwmon.

Intel only specs the chips for 1066 and 1333. Most of the time using more is done with overclocking.
November 14, 2010 4:52:32 PM

nukemaster said:
Your memory is currently @ 1400 not 1600. This can be for many reasons(even more then i list, these 2 are common).

1. Are you overclocking? Overclocking changes the base frequency and then changes the memory frequency.
2. What memory multipliers are available(not a question). In some cases it is hard to get dead on since there are multipliers based on the cpu base clock(just like fsb). With these multipliers the jump from one to the next can actually put the memory over spec. In that case the board gets as close as it can without going over. I have seen boards try to go over too.

If i remember right, on my H55N(Media center system) board, the board wanted to overclock the cpu to make it to 1600. I said no and left it at 1333(6,7,6,20 2T @ 1.66volts).

Either way, i do not think there is going to be an issue as long as the voltage is working as it should. you can see it in hwmon.

Intel only specs the chips for 1066 and 1333. Most of the time using more is done with overclocking.

Okay thank you my friend...i guess even if i could get it to 1600 i wouldn't necessarily notice a difference?

I know iv been asking you allot of questions and i know your much more knowledgeable and have more experience with custom builds than I ... you had mentioned your Media PC and I Have just just got done building my media PC and right in the middle of trying to get everything i need installed and tuned up properly... im trying to learn how to use not only the Gigabyte Easy tune 6 that came with the MOBO, but AMD Fusion, AMD Overdrive along with the newest version of CCC...Do happen to know anything about these utilites and if/how they would all work together?

For example right now im running the auto tune in the AMD Overdrive, im just not sure if im using it properly. Same with AMD Fusion and If i should use any of its profiles aswell as its overclocking tool, and then what about the ATI overdrive tool? Im simply confused as if i should use them and if so which one and exactly how? Any advanced knowladge would be great as iv been looking forward to using a Media PC for a long time now...Here is my set up

Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H MOBO

AMD Phenom II X3 Black Edition (I unlocked the 4th core in the bios)

SAPPHIRE HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE (using HDMI Port)

8 gigs ram using 4 sticks of OCZ PC2 8500 Platinum Edition Memory.

Antec Veris Multimedia Premier with remote (im still unsure which softwear to use though? XBMC or WMC?)

a b } Memory
November 14, 2010 7:58:06 PM

Easy Tune 6 is mostly for overclocking/fan control/hardware monitoring, There is also a feature for enabling power savings by way of switching off voltage phases that are not needed when the system is idle. I do not use it since I only overclock from the bios and when I did measurements of power consumption there was no difference for my system.

AMD Overdrive and CCC Overdrive are also for overclocking as well. For a media center, normally you do not overclock it since the system is more then fast enough for media duty.

All current SD/HD formats will play fine on that system. If you want bluray, you will a 3rd party decoder or software package. A decoder along will run around 50-60 dollars. The full software package can run over 100 dollars

Fusion is a confusing name for AMD to use since its next wave of CPU/GPU in one chip will also be called fusion.

Either way the Fusion utility will disable non required running programs and can also activate overclocking profiles from overdrive. It has honestly been a while since I looked at it.

A clean media center pc should not need this treatment. I would not use it for fear of it deciding "ehshell" is not required and shutting down your media center's recording ability. If you do not plan to PVR with your media center, then you can try it.

All of this software should work well together(can be installed at the same time), but I do not recommend EasyTune and Overdrive together as they will both be trying to control the clock speeds at the same time and may have a conflict there.

My media center(With SD PVR) was primarily built for lower power consumption since its on all the time, but I find I use it a fair bit for gaming as well since its already on and consumes less power gaming then my gaming pc does sitting idle. I use Windows 7 Home since it runs all the other stuff I may want to do on it.

Clearly it does not perform as good but for many games(SC2 L4D ect) it works well.
November 24, 2010 8:46:11 PM

nukemaster said:
Easy Tune 6 is mostly for overclocking/fan control/hardware monitoring, There is also a feature for enabling power savings by way of switching off voltage phases that are not needed when the system is idle. I do not use it since I only overclock from the bios and when I did measurements of power consumption there was no difference for my system.

AMD Overdrive and CCC Overdrive are also for overclocking as well. For a media center, normally you do not overclock it since the system is more then fast enough for media duty.

All current SD/HD formats will play fine on that system. If you want bluray, you will a 3rd party decoder or software package. A decoder along will run around 50-60 dollars. The full software package can run over 100 dollars

Fusion is a confusing name for AMD to use since its next wave of CPU/GPU in one chip will also be called fusion.

Either way the Fusion utility will disable non required running programs and can also activate overclocking profiles from overdrive. It has honestly been a while since I looked at it.

A clean media center pc should not need this treatment. I would not use it for fear of it deciding "ehshell" is not required and shutting down your media center's recording ability. If you do not plan to PVR with your media center, then you can try it.

All of this software should work well together(can be installed at the same time), but I do not recommend EasyTune and Overdrive together as they will both be trying to control the clock speeds at the same time and may have a conflict there.

My media center(With SD PVR) was primarily built for lower power consumption since its on all the time, but I find I use it a fair bit for gaming as well since its already on and consumes less power gaming then my gaming pc does sitting idle. I use Windows 7 Home since it runs all the other stuff I may want to do on it.

Clearly it does not perform as good but for many games(SC2 L4D ect) it works well.

Thank you Nukemaster, you have been do kind a helpful, i knoe I do ask allot of questions and its nice to have someone with the experienced knowledge who has the patience to share there thoughts and suggestions, so thank you.

As a Matter of fact I do have one other situation which just came up in the past few days and id like to run it by you for any suggestions or opinions. Yesterday i was at i decided to get a new motherboard for my AMD x3 730 Black Edition which is going to be my media PC. I went with the Gigabyte GA8900GPA-UD3H and I happen to have the same issue concerning the memory, now that you have gone over what to do in the bios im confident i know my way around, its just the part about voltages thats got me worried. If you don't mind id like to list what im working with...

GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H

AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor # HDZ720WFGIBOX

6GB * 3 x 2GB DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 1.6V
Model # CMX6GX3M3C1600C7

1 x 2GB DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz 7-8-7-20 1.6V which is the other sick from
Model # CMX4GX3M2A1600C7

So what are your thoughts? Oh and i also got my first ever aftermarket cooler
the Corsair A70

Now Being this MOBO has ATI CrossFireX multi-GPU technology (which i have never used before) Im thinking about installing both of my HD5670 Graphics cards?

If you don't mind id truly appreciate any thoughts you might have, aswell as your advice...I have a whole new MOBO for my AMD X3 720 Black Edition, DDR3 rather than DDR2 Ram and the ability to install 2 Graphics cards to add to this HTPC.
It might be more ideal to email as this has gone off topic a little.
My email is eddiers2003 AT hotmail
Thanks Nukemaster!
Eddie
a b } Memory
November 25, 2010 1:35:21 AM

Your board selection should work fine.

The sticks of memory are effectively the same so you will have no issues.

On gigabyte boards, hold control and hit F1 when you first get into the bios screen(once you see all the option) The screen will flash for a second and under MIT(Motherboard Intelligent tweaker), you should have extra options that may have been hidden. As for memory voltage, it should be 1.65(your board may only have 1.64 and 1.66, if it does try 1.64)

With that set, you should be good as long as you set your memory speed/timings already.

Your aftermarket cooler should be fine(and WAY better then the stock unit). The only thing is that it will end up pointing straight up due to the socket layout on many boards. What case are you using?

Onto crossfire, Crossfire allows to cards to work together for enhanced gaming. If this is mainly a media pc, you may be fine with the onboard video. You can always try it to see how you like it.

For more info on crossfire and SLI check this out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

You should remove your e-mail from the post, even if you use the "me AT you com", there are crafty bots out there that will still get it and add it to a spam list. You can use the private message system here on toms to share that kind of info where only the intended user can see it.
December 5, 2010 6:45:37 PM

nukemaster said:
Your board selection should work fine.

The sticks of memory are effectively the same so you will have no issues.

On gigabyte boards, hold control and hit F1 when you first get into the bios screen(once you see all the option) The screen will flash for a second and under MIT(Motherboard Intelligent tweaker), you should have extra options that may have been hidden. As for memory voltage, it should be 1.65(your board may only have 1.64 and 1.66, if it does try 1.64)

With that set, you should be good as long as you set your memory speed/timings already.

Your aftermarket cooler should be fine(and WAY better then the stock unit). The only thing is that it will end up pointing straight up due to the socket layout on many boards. What case are you using?

Onto crossfire, Crossfire allows to cards to work together for enhanced gaming. If this is mainly a media pc, you may be fine with the onboard video. You can always try it to see how you like it.

For more info on crossfire and SLI check this out.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

You should remove your e-mail from the post, even if you use the "me AT you com", there are crafty bots out there that will still get it and add it to a spam list. You can use the private message system here on toms to share that kind of info where only the intended user can see it.

Again thank you for responding, i didnt think you were going to as i really have been picking your brain allot, however i need you to know your advanced knowladge and experience is helping me alllot.

Okay so i am using a cooler Master 690

I did take some pics so ill post them for you..because you are spot on, the A70 is pusing the air up, so the pull fan is on the bottom where my GPU will be and the push fan is at the top, however I do have 2 120mm fans pushing out at the top of my case, the only thing that worries me is they are lined up right in the middle, so half of the push fan is inbtween the two at the top of the case...im not sure if that really matters but id assume it would be better if they were lined up.

But after you look at the pictures and have a better idea of how close everything is, even the metel piece that i push down to lock thecooler down is awfully close to a blue metalpiece on the MOBO.

I do have the option of taking the A70 out and put it in my Sniper Case with my I7 860, there for using the Intel Parts which i belive will get the fans blowing front to back?

And then install this Cooler Master RR-920-N520-GP cooler instead

I havent looked at the hardware yet to see if these fans will be installed the same way though.
Ill post the pics and maybe you can tell if the A70 will work just fine the way it is installed with the CM690 case im using?

Also i have a few options as to a PSU for the Media PC, can you suggest which one you would use, both are fairly quite from what i hear...
First and most intriguing is the Seasoning 760watt 80Plus Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply

http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_560-660-760-850...

Second is the CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Im not positive im going to installl crossfire, in the media PC, but maybe ill give it a go in my i7 PC? I don't really play games, and to be honest im the kind of person who wants and feels he needs the best and nothing but the best...i lived in vermont and worked on a ski resort as a rental technician, and i used to laugh when id see some one who had the best skies/snow boards, the best jackets and pants, the best boots and the guy couldnt even ski...ya know what i mean?

I did just get my first game, Maffia II, so im thinking maybe ill set up crossfire on my p7p55d-E Pro.....i do have several decent graphics cards of which i can use,

2 - ASUS EAH5670/DI/1GD5 Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

2 - XFX HD-577X-ZMF3 Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Im just not sure how to set them up properly, i have been reading about it all, but some say certian motherboards have a setting in the bios so you dont need to use the crossfire connector??

Alright iv been babbiling way to much, sorry about that...again thank you, your very kind to be helping me understand all of this!

Ed
a b } Memory
December 6, 2010 3:12:09 AM

In a case like that(top fans), you should have no issues with the fan shooting up(heat rises, you are working with it), I have a cooler master Hyper 212+ like that on a system in an Antec 300 case without any issues. It is more of an issue in cases with the power supply up top.

Both those power supplies should be good.

I have the Corsair 850 watt unit in my game system and it does seem quiet, but with 5 hard drives most power supplies are quiet.

Seasonic makes some of the best power supplies(Many Antec and Corsair units are seasonics as well). I had an Antec EA430 watt unit made by seasonic and it was very quiet(the system only took 90watts at the wall, so a very low power system).

The 80+ gold certification is good for overall power consumption, but on a very low power system a 700-850 watt power supply will not reach the gold standard since the power consumption is so low(under 20% load).

As for crossfire, as long as you have 2 of the same cards(so 2 5770's or 2 5870's ect) you can try it.

Setting it up is easy, install 2 cards and add the crossfire connector from card to card. Once in windows you can enable it in the amd catalyst control center. You generally do not need to change bios settings(only some of the slower cards can do crossfire without connectors and boards with Hydra, Hydra is another story all together, its not crossfire).
December 6, 2010 5:03:54 PM

nukemaster said:
In a case like that(top fans), you should have no issues with the fan shooting up(heat rises, you are working with it), I have a cooler master Hyper 212+ like that on a system in an Antec 300 case without any issues. It is more of an issue in cases with the power supply up top.

Both those power supplies should be good.

I have the Corsair 850 watt unit in my game system and it does seem quiet, but with 5 hard drives most power supplies are quiet.

Seasonic makes some of the best power supplies(Many Antec and Corsair units are seasonics as well). I had an Antec EA430 watt unit made by seasonic and it was very quiet(the system only took 90watts at the wall, so a very low power system).

The 80+ gold certification is good for overall power consumption, but on a very low power system a 700-850 watt power supply will not reach the gold standard since the power consumption is so low(under 20% load).

As for crossfire, as long as you have 2 of the same cards(so 2 5770's or 2 5870's ect) you can try it.

Setting it up is easy, install 2 cards and add the crossfire connector from card to card. Once in windows you can enable it in the amd catalyst control center. You generally do not need to change bios settings(only some of the slower cards can do crossfire without connectors and boards with Hydra, Hydra is another story all together, its not crossfire).

Hi there, i hope you had a wonderful weekend! First I never did add those pictures, so here are a few, hopefully you can grasp the situation better..I am using the Cooler Master 690

http://s910.photobucket.com/albums/ac309/pathfindermoll...

So after looking at the set up, do you think it would be better to take one or both of the fans out of the top of the case?

Also Take note of third picture, where the the push down lever is located on the cooler..i had to use a dremel to cut into the fan so the fan would fit over the leaver, However friday i did get two new fans which are supposed to be much quieter? Its a Brushless DC Fan made by XigmaTek.

And are you suggesting i use the seasonic PSU over the Corsair 850?

Again thank you, its the same ending of each message but thank you so much!
a b } Memory
December 6, 2010 6:39:11 PM

That fan cutting is actually kind of hard core :) 
Can you mount the fans any higher on the heat sink tower? it seems odd they would make a cooler that needs some fan cutting.

Worse case with the fans so close, you may have a slightly higher air noise(turbulence), but it should not hurt performance overall.

As for the power supply, they should both work. The corsair has more headroom since its a larger unit. So if you plan to keep it for future systems go with it. The 750 watt should consume less power(due to its higher efficiency) if that kind of thing worries you. They should both be quiet with you system.

Your fan cut reminds me of this from my old system.

December 7, 2010 2:08:59 AM

nukemaster said:
That fan cutting is actually kind of hard core :) 
Can you mount the fans any higher on the heat sink tower? it seems odd they would make a cooler that needs some fan cutting.

Worse case with the fans so close, you may have a slightly higher air noise(turbulence), but it should not hurt performance overall.

As for the power supply, they should both work. The corsair has more headroom since its a larger unit. So if you plan to keep it for future systems go with it. The 750 watt should consume less power(due to its higher efficiency) if that kind of thing worries you. They should both be quiet with you system.

Your fan cut reminds me of this from my old system.

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1594/fancut.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/7518/fancut1.jpg

Yea I felt like a real tech when i pulled out the cutting tool:-)

you mentioned if i could attach the fans a little higher on the heat sync, well actually the one at the top originally fit perfectly, and i was able to attach the bottom fan, but it did not attach just right, it fit about half-inch high I didnt think that would be a good ideal and felt they should be lined up together.... all in all what are your thoughts, the way it is now work just fine? Iv yet to fire the pc up...Only because I am thinking about installing the

COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

and installing the A70 on my i7 which is in the cooler master sniper, I think its much roomer?

By the way iv got the i7-860 sitting on a Asus P7P55D-E Pro and i would love to overclock the cpu and memory if possible, is there a nice easy to read and understand guide that will explain what each number means, and the diffrent changes you can make like #Ras to #Ras and FSB...Voltage... everything...i uninstalled the amd overdrive, and easytune, and when i run my pcmark im noticing the cpu and memory rattings are lower? Any thoughts?
!