Sign in with
Your question

Memory Not Running @ Advertised Speed

Last response: in Memory
October 24, 2010 7:21:58 PM

I am new to this forum so first of all, hello everyone!

I have a small problem that is not affecting the stability or overall performance of my system, but I'm pretty certain that I can get more performance out of this rig without actually overclocking it outside the rated specs. I think this because when I use a system diagnostic application such as CPU-Z to view different system ratings (memory in this case) I notice that my memory does not seem to be operating at its full potential. I think there are some BIOS adjustments that could be made to correct this, since all my BIOS settings that directly relate to performance of memory etc are set to AUTO.

Specs are as follows:

Windows 7 x64
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3 GHz - 64 KB L1 - 6144 KB L2
ASUS P5Q3 Motherboard - FSB 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz - DDR3 1800(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 MHz, Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory - Dual Channel Memory Architecture
2x2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1333 MHz 6-6-6-20 @ 1.8v in Dual-Channel Interleaved mode

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My problem is that the system seems to be AUTO running the memory at 666.6 MHz 9-9-9-24 instead of 1333 MHz 6-6-6-20 (I'm not sure how to see what voltage is being applied to the memory since it's set to AUTO in BIOS).

Other info that may or may not be of use:

The CPU is running at it's full clock (3 GHz) with a multiplier of 9 and a Bus Speed of 333.3 MHz, while CPU-Z is rating the actual FSB @ 1333 MHz.

Also, the FSB:D RAM ratio is 1:2, in case that's of any use..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I mainly want to be sure that the memory is running at it's full potential without pushing it into the area of "overclocking". I am aware that this system has great potential for OC'ing so I would be interested to know if anyone does happen to have any tips in regards to how I could get a bit more speed out of this rig without putting any stress on it.

Thanks in advance for any help! :) 
a b } Memory
October 24, 2010 7:50:55 PM

Welcome to THGF...

If my memory is correct, the LGA 775 defaults at 1.8V, so you are good there.

Your speed is correct at 1333 MHz (666.7 x 2), which is what you are seeing. In your BIOS & with CPU-Z, you take the speed you see and times it by two to get it to the correct speed.

Now the only thing that is off is your timings. You will need to review the DRAM Timings, set to manual and adjust to match your sticks.
m
l
October 24, 2010 8:08:10 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, and your reply.

So basically, if CPU-Z is reading my DRAM Frequency at 666 MHz but I have 2 DIMMs filled, I just multiply those numbers and it should equal the speed at which the stick is rated?

Other than the timing adjustments, are there any other settings that may need to be modified before saving and exiting BIOS?

Recently, I tried adjusting a few things in BIOS and upon restart it wouldn't POST and I had to reset the CMOS memory.. I can't remember exactly what it was but it related to memory and was on a scale with options like Moderate, Strong, Very Strong, etc. After that was changed is when the system wouldn't POST.
m
l
Related resources
October 27, 2010 8:55:47 AM

The jump from 666 to 1333 isn't because you have two sticks, it is because the memory is Double Data Rate (DDR)
This means that it works on a rising and a falling edge clock. so the clock cycles 666million times per second, but that is 666million times it raises (0 to 1) and another 666 million times it falls (1 to 0), 666+666=1333.

I woudn't worry too much about your memory though, I doubt that it is your bottleneck.
m
l
October 31, 2010 4:11:16 AM

etk said:
The jump from 666 to 1333 isn't because you have two sticks, it is because the memory is Double Data Rate (DDR)
This means that it works on a rising and a falling edge clock. so the clock cycles 666million times per second, but that is 666million times it raises (0 to 1) and another 666 million times it falls (1 to 0), 666+666=1333.

I woudn't worry too much about your memory though, I doubt that it is your bottleneck.

Is there something that makes you think there is a bottleneck, based on the information I provided?

Just to clarify, I'm not being incredulous, I am curious if there was more to the comment than meets the eye. ;) 
m
l
October 31, 2010 9:56:25 PM

I was just guessing that the CPU/GPU/HDD would slow you down before memory would, as 1333 is pretty fast regardless of timing.

Of course, I don't know what programs you are running, you could well be running super memory intensive applications, where you would be RAM limited, and in that case, I would be wrong.
m
l
!