Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Power Supply Question

Last response: in Components
Share
May 11, 2010 5:21:11 AM

I am planning my first computer build and I am unsure of whether or not the power supply I am picking will be sufficient. Here is my planned setup :

-EVGA nForce 750i Mobo
-Intel C2Q Q8300
-Corsair H50 Water Cooling (which doesnt need any pump connections..pump runs off of CPU_FAN header & has 1, 120 mm fan)
-4 gigs OCZ PC6400 RAM (2 x 2048)
-EVGA e-GeForce 9800GT 512MB Graphics Card
-1 Seagate 250 gig SATA Barracuda @ 7200 RPM
- Possibly another 80 GIG SATA HD

And I found a deal online which has a mid-tower case and includes a 450 Watt PSU for pretty cheap. I understand the risk I am taking with buying a cheap product as you get what you pay for, but ASSUMING everything works as it should, is 450 Watts enough for this build? And also, I took a look at the graphics card/PSU thread and it said that for this card, the amperage on the +12V rail should be at least 30 amps, but on a picture I found of the included PSU, it said 25 amps on the 12V rail. Correct me if I am wrong and read the label incorrectly..here is a link to the picture: http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/T....
I tried to find specific specs on the PSU with this case, but I cant find any info anywhere.

More about : power supply question

a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 6:44:46 AM

Well, I suggest that you do buy something more reliable like a Corsair CX400W from newegg for $34.99 after rebate, which would easily power that system.
The reason is that the PSUs which come bundled with case tend to be generic and fail under loads far below what they're rated at, and also, the amperage on the 12V rail tends to be smaller as well.
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 6:29:18 PM

450 Watts is enough for your system, but assuming that the power comes from a good quality psu.

Quote:
Well, I suggest that you do buy something more reliable like a Corsair CX400W from newegg for $34.99 after rebate, which would easily power that system


I would say a Corsair 450 would be more appropriate. $49.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
May 11, 2010 6:33:13 PM

ksampanna said:
450 Watts is enough for your system, but assuming that the power comes from a good quality psu.

Quote:
Well, I suggest that you do buy something more reliable like a Corsair CX400W from newegg for $34.99 after rebate, which would easily power that system


I would say a Corsair 450 would be more appropriate. $49.99 after rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

uhhh you linked to the 400W
m
0
l
May 11, 2010 7:54:47 PM

I am on a budget so I'm looking for deals. I found this one:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=44835&vpn=RS400-...

But is 16 amps on the 12V rail enough? Or is 400W even enough or should I definitely go for a 450W?

EDIT: I think I am going to go with this one:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47679

Seems like a decent product from the reviews and the power supply is surely something I dont really want to skimp on. Is this one a good choice for my setup?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 12, 2010 4:02:40 AM

enzo matrix said:
uhhh you linked to the 400W



sorry, my bad

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
EDIT: I think I am going to go with this one:

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=47679

Seems like a decent product from the reviews and the power supply is surely something I dont really want to skimp on. Is this one a good choice for my setup?


Don't go for the coolermaster in any case.

If you really don't want to skimp on the psu, then don't go for the bfg either. Do get the corsair 450
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25472&vpn=CMPSU-...
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
May 12, 2010 12:36:22 PM

imo go for the corsair 400cx AT MINUMUM but its a good psu for being 400w. but i suggest you go for athe corsair 450w, as others have said.
m
0
l
!