Sign in with
Your question

To my HORROR I opened my case today. Zalman 9500A COOLER clip broke

Last response: in CPUs
May 11, 2010 6:09:42 AM

Laying on my EVGA 8800 :cry: 

The zalman 9500A CPU Cooler was just hanging from the motherboard by it's fan connector.

I have over $2000 into this pc about 2 years or so ago. It's a very very nice computer and plays my games VERY well.

This is the mount that broke:

Here are actual pictures that I took:

I found a website to buy a new bracket. but they want $18 shipped.

Anyone have another place to buy a replacement that will fit correctly?

My motherboard is a Asus m2n32-sli deluxe AM2

I hope that this mount fixes it and NOTHING else is damaged. I'm pretty worried about my GPU it cost me $500 a few years ago and I really love it. I can't replace anything expensive right now.

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 6:34:34 AM

CPU coolers breaking has nothing to do with your GPU.

And you can get a new CPU cooler/HSF that would be better for $20-$30
a c 103 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 6:53:30 AM

I'd get down my local Bikeshop/ Car mechanics and ask about a local ally welder, something that small they probably wouldnt even charge you, just mention that it HAS to be tidily done and same size as it was b4 snapping :) 
Related resources
May 11, 2010 8:21:55 AM

Bluescreendeath said:
CPU coolers breaking has nothing to do with your GPU.

it does when it lands on it! :\
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 7:00:53 PM

It didn't break by itself. Must have been some jolt or could have been a factory flaw.

There's so many mod options at the hardware store, simple small brackets you can make that you wouldn't need the stock mounting bracket/ring.
May 11, 2010 10:56:45 PM

RogueHK said:
it does when it lands on it! :\

Hi
The best way is to put the cooler on the cpu and press it and power on the system. if the display comes then your gpu is fine and then u can buy a new cooler. I suggest get a cooler master hyper 212 plus which is damn cheap and very good. Hope i helped
a b V Motherboard
May 11, 2010 11:41:17 PM

What processor base is that?

I'd get a better CPU cooler that MOUNTS TO THE MOBO, not clips onto a CPU bracket.

The Scythe Mugen-2 Rev B is very universal. Mount to the mobo with a back plate; Socket 775, LGA1156, and LGA 1366. I had mine on the Pentium 4 board. Just removed the original cooler bracket (the black square thingy), and the holes lined up perfectly, its designed that way. BUT its $45. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
May 13, 2010 8:48:16 AM

still need a new bracket. I paid $50 for the cooler I don't need a new cooler just a bracket
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2010 7:26:33 PM

Call Zalman tech support. They can probably send you one.

If not, I see 4 mounting holes that can be used for a mod bracket, nuts and bolts, a homr project for under $10. Use your imagination.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 13, 2010 9:48:34 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
Call Zalman tech support. They can probably send you one.

If not, I see 4 mounting holes that can be used for a mod bracket, nuts and bolts, a homr project for under $10. Use your imagination.

+1 --- Looks to be a defect in the clip so I would think that Zalmann would send a replacement if you call or E-mail support and maybe include a link to the pic of the broken one.
November 4, 2010 4:33:40 PM

This is exactly what happened to me just now!! Funny thing is, the point where my clip was cut out was JUST EXACTLY like yours...I will never buy Zalman fans again..
a c 122 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2010 5:44:25 PM

foscooter said:
What processor base is that?

I'd get a better CPU cooler that MOUNTS TO THE MOBO, not clips onto a CPU bracket.

The Scythe Mugen-2 Rev B is very universal. Mount to the mobo with a back plate; Socket 775, LGA1156, and LGA 1366. I had mine on the Pentium 4 board. Just removed the original cooler bracket (the black square thingy), and the holes lined up perfectly, its designed that way. BUT its $45. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

Thats probably a AM2/AM2+ socket since they come with that mounting bracket on the mobo. It does already mount the fan to the mobo with that bracket and I am pretty sure that there are no brackets for a AM2/AM2+ mobo since it comes with one.

thresh0ld said:
This is exactly what happened to me just now!! Funny thing is, the point where my clip was cut out was JUST EXACTLY like yours...I will never buy Zalman fans again..

I find it strange that it broke considering I have a Zalman 9500 thats been latched to my P4 3.4GHz EE for 4+ years and a 9700 thats been mounted to my Q6600 for 3 years. Its either a defect in the design for that socket latch or possibly gets too hot and stresses the latch. Looking at the color of the clip itself it looks like it has had a lot of heat pushed through it and stressed quite a bit.

As for the OP, I would check with Zalman and see what they can do. They may be able to replace it for you for free.
December 13, 2010 2:00:43 AM

I just want to add to horror aswell this happen to me with the EXACT same break point on the clip, must be a design fault.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 13, 2010 2:59:45 AM

Well, that is at a fairly sharp corner in the thinnest section, so it is one of the highest stress locations in the clip (in other words, if the clip were to fail, that would be the point). To those who had this occur, what did Zalman say/do in response?
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2010 10:51:42 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Looking at the color of the clip itself it looks like it has had a lot of heat pushed through it and stressed quite a bit.

+1.

That has a lot of heat stress at the weakest point.
December 19, 2010 2:38:27 PM

same breakpoint -_-

!