To my HORROR I opened my case today. Zalman 9500A COOLER clip broke

RogueHK

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Laying on my EVGA 8800 :cry:

The zalman 9500A CPU Cooler was just hanging from the motherboard by it's fan connector.

I have over $2000 into this pc about 2 years or so ago. It's a very very nice computer and plays my games VERY well.

This is the mount that broke:

image.asp

Here are actual pictures that I took:

DSC00460.jpg

DSC00462.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

I found a website to buy a new bracket. but they want $18 shipped.

Anyone have another place to buy a replacement that will fit correctly?

My motherboard is a Asus m2n32-sli deluxe AM2

I hope that this mount fixes it and NOTHING else is damaged. I'm pretty worried about my GPU it cost me $500 a few years ago and I really love it. I can't replace anything expensive right now.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Hi
The best way is to put the cooler on the cpu and press it and power on the system. if the display comes then your gpu is fine and then u can buy a new cooler. I suggest get a cooler master hyper 212 plus which is damn cheap and very good. Hope i helped

What processor base is that?

I'd get a better CPU cooler that MOUNTS TO THE MOBO, not clips onto a CPU bracket.

The Scythe Mugen-2 Rev B is very universal. Mount to the mobo with a back plate; Socket 775, LGA1156, and LGA 1366. I had mine on the Pentium 4 board. Just removed the original cooler bracket (the black square thingy), and the holes lined up perfectly, its designed that way. BUT its $45. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326126

+1 --- Looks to be a defect in the clip so I would think that Zalmann would send a replacement if you call or E-mail support and maybe include a link to the pic of the broken one.

Thats probably a AM2/AM2+ socket since they come with that mounting bracket on the mobo. It does already mount the fan to the mobo with that bracket and I am pretty sure that there are no brackets for a AM2/AM2+ mobo since it comes with one.

I find it strange that it broke considering I have a Zalman 9500 thats been latched to my P4 3.4GHz EE for 4+ years and a 9700 thats been mounted to my Q6600 for 3 years. Its either a defect in the design for that socket latch or possibly gets too hot and stresses the latch. Looking at the color of the clip itself it looks like it has had a lot of heat pushed through it and stressed quite a bit.

As for the OP, I would check with Zalman and see what they can do. They may be able to replace it for you for free.

Well, that is at a fairly sharp corner in the thinnest section, so it is one of the highest stress locations in the clip (in other words, if the clip were to fail, that would be the point). To those who had this occur, what did Zalman say/do in response?

TRENDING THREADS