Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Some questions about ssd's

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2012 7:17:19 PM

Good day,

I have being looking at getting an ssd for the first time today and i had know idea how much praise they are getting, so now I fancy getting one, I’m think of about 128gbs and I’m willing to spend between £100 and £150 the lower the better, so what ssd's do you recommend i want to get the best performance possible from (sata3 etc.).
Also what should i install on it apart windows being the obvious one?

More about : questions ssd

Best solution

a b G Storage
March 19, 2012 8:39:45 PM

Not sure what websites you can get them from but I reccomend these ones:

Intel 520 128GB

Crucial M4 128GB

Also what you should put on your SSD is the following:

Whatever you want to run fast. Which includes programs,games,antivirus.

Do not put any VIDEO or IMAGES on your SSD - as SSD's are horrible at transferring compressed data. Keep video and images on your secondary HDD.
Related resources
March 19, 2012 9:25:31 PM

Chainzsaw said:
Do not put any VIDEO or IMAGES on your SSD - as SSD's are horrible at transferring compressed data. Keep video and images on your secondary HDD.

Only drives based on SandForce controllers suffer from this phenomenon. Drives using IndiLinx or Samsung controllers perform the same on compressed and uncompressed data. That puts the slightly higher price of Samsung drives in perspective. IndiLinx is a subsidiary of OCZ and they are just starting to make an impression in the market with this new controller. OCZ also makes many drives based on SandForce but I wouldn't be surprised to see them move their entire product line to IndiLinx eventually.
m
l
March 19, 2012 9:41:49 PM

Best answer selected by mercer95.
m
l
March 19, 2012 9:49:58 PM

crucial m4 128GB
samsung 830 128GB

intel great but out of your budget and only 120GB...
install programs/games on ssd, doc/pic/vid/etc can go on backup hhd.
m
l
!