Sign in with
Your question

Drive showing TOO full for data installed

Last response: in Storage
March 19, 2012 7:23:16 PM

60Gb (56Gb effectively) ssd - all folders on it equal 28Gb. The drives properties show it almost full at 50Gb of 56Gb used. This is a clean new install, with only Office, Quicken, BitDefender, Drivers etc . . and all updates to these.

Is there a way to make it recognize or fix the true amount taken / free?
March 19, 2012 8:34:30 PM

i saved 12 gb when i turned hibernation off on my crucial m4
m
l
Related resources
March 20, 2012 3:05:50 AM

I have already done most of that stuff. The PC has only been built for about a week. And has only ran long enough for me to set it up. Temp files among other things are going on a different drive. everything was fine.. and literally rebooted and it was like an extra 20gb of nothing filled up my drive to about 94% cap
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
March 20, 2012 5:03:28 PM

If it isn't the hibernate file, the paging file, or system save points, I suggest that you download and run WinDirStat. It does a lovely job of showing where space is used, if you turn on the option to show hidden or unknown (I forget which) space.

With the results, either it will be apparent to you or we can help some more.
m
l
March 21, 2012 1:12:44 PM

ty knott, i will try that....
m
l
March 22, 2012 12:26:21 AM

ok, well, i was wrong... I had not disabled hibernation. That did free up, like danimaltheanimal13, about 12 Gb. Thank you very much.

I'm off to ghost the drive :) 
m
l
February 10, 2013 8:20:46 AM

MEGIDDO said:
I have already done most of that stuff. The PC has only been built for about a week. And has only ran long enough for me to set it up. Temp files among other things are going on a different drive. everything was fine.. and literally rebooted and it was like an extra 20gb of nothing filled up my drive to about 94% cap

Hi
I had the same problem and eventually found the problem in the App Data\localLow\google file.
If you have been using google earth the programme seems to store a huge amount of data in the App Data files. Many other programs do as well
David
m
l
!